Socom Gear M82 Review

RedWolf

profile_L.jpg

Initial impressions.

box_L.jpg

openbox_L.jpg

The Socom Gear M82 comes in giant brown box with a label on the front side of the box with Barrett, Socom Gear and Madbull logos along with a massive list of features of this package. The box comes with an integrated carry handle allowing you to carry all of the 23lbs of M82 inside it. We cant just judge a gun by it's box so we opened it up to inspect this further. You will notice a green 'Operator's Manual' where it advises you to read before using. We also strongly recommend you reading this manual before attempting to assemble as it includes vital information to assemble this without damaging any of the parts.

The matte black finish on the gun is very appealing featuring a full length fluted barrel and the correct muzzle brake. Having the gun shipped partially disassembled can be a good thing in a way, not only does it reduce the dimensional weight on shipping, it also allows you to get hands-on on this gun giving you a nice chance to examine and truly appreciate the workmanship of this gun. From the stamped steel receiver with licensed engravings to the one piece fluted barrel to how the parts fit together perfectly with ease. There are no wobbles at all between the upper and lower half of the receiver, considering the only thing holding it down is the front pivot bar, front and back body pin it really does show Socom Gear have done a good job on the design and manufacturing of this M82. Since the pistol grip and the trigger group is almost identical between the Barrett and the Armalites, it's no surprise to find a version 2 gearbox inside. Featuring a high torque motor, low resistance wiring and a 7mm reinforced gearbox, you're pretty much getting a pre-upgraded AEG as a standard!

moldline1_L.jpg

outer1_L.jpg

trades01_L.jpg

Not only is this the cheapest M82 airsoft replica available on the market, it is also a complete kit that only requires ammo and a battery to make it skirmish ready! What makes this gun truly special is the additional features of the gun. A working bolt cover that can move the full length, realistic magazine and licensed Barrett markings, Stamped steel receiver along with authentic weld marks on all the correct places on the receiver. Although when you examine the magazine, it can be a let down as you find out it uses a M16 vn mag positioned front to back inside the M82 magazine casing. This can be solved very easily if you happen to have a VN midcap spare but they're cheap to acquire anyway. Just replace the existing VN hicap with the midcap and you're set! No more rattles! When you're assembling this gun, you will no doubt see the barrel and it comes with a very nice Madbull Black Python 650mm tightbore barrel. This just seems to get better, most of the time you purchase any AEG or sniper rifles, they come with a standard or sub-standard barrel where the barrel is sometimes 6.08mm at best.

For more information on this product please visit this link readmore.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I don't have a chronograph, so I can't give u a chrono. but I tested it at 50 ft, 100 ft, and 150 ft with a not perfectly adjusted scope. at 50ft hit the can dead on, after a few shots I put a few holes in it. and at a 100 ft, I hit the cans as well, dent wasn't as big. and 150 ft I hit them but no major dents. I used 5 cans to test each distance, at 50 ft I got a 5/5, and at a 100ft I got 5/5 cans, and last I got 3/5 cans at 150ft. it was fairly windy, so not bad on accuracy. and I used .20 g bb's 4 the quick test.

• 9 months later...
Yeah, im saying the real one doesn't have the full auto feature and the M4 selector switch.

the real one does have the m4 style safety

and you really need a full auto function in airsoft otherwise you need to disassemble the gun when semi locks up

the only thing im wondering is why someone would spend al that money if you can just buy a snow wolf one for less than 1/3 of the money

i have one and its actually a very nice gun

Archived