G+P PEQ2 replica, Torch and Laser combination model

K all, this is my first review as practising my article writing so hope this helps people out. Sorry for the less than stellar photos, I lack the skills in that department of some on this forum but Ive tried to illustrate the review as best I can. Sorry if this has been reviewed before, I searched and found a couple of mentions of it but no review. I welcome constructive criticism on my writing too :)

Onto the review!

Quick blurb:

*1:1 scale PEQ-2 replica.

*Contains both a 5mW red laser and a 130-lumen Cree torch.

*Takes 3 AA batteries

*20mm solid aluminium rail mount

*Comes with 2 plug in pressure switches, Velcro for mounting them, and a molle pouch.

*Fully adjustable red laser module.

How much?

It cost me 136 dollars 49 cents (£83.40) posted to the UK from Ehobbyasia. Good deal imho. The green laser version is about 70 dollars more expensive, but the different coloured models are the same price.

First Impressions:

Opening my (very well wrapped) parcel, I was presented with this smart cardboard box with all the usual blurb on the front.

100_0169.jpg

Opening that, I found the PEQ and accessories safely packed up in a smart black molle pouch, with spare pouches for other kit (would take a few pistol mags easy).

100_0168.jpg

The PEQ comes with the three AA alkaline batteries (Duracell no less), a simple paper sheet that I guess is the manual, and a generous choice of two pressure switches! One is the usual long rectangular type, the other is a smaller push-button type. There’s a decent amount of sticky-backed Velcro so you can rig either switch to whatever you fancy. I chose the rectangular one to match the Velcro already on my VFG. The adhesive seems to be good quality, but we shall see how that lasts. I’m gonna tape it to my grip anyway after I finish spraying my gun up just to make sure so I’m not too fussed.

It also comes with a sheet of decals, to make the unit look all professional-like. Most of the real writing on them is replaced with G+P stuff but they still look good from a distance. I’m spraying this anyway so I’m not too fussed but it’s good to know for people who’d be leaving it black.

The build quality of the PEQ feels good; the plastic seems much sturdier than my old G+P battery box and it’s clear they haven’t just stuck different internals into an existing shell (and if they have, they’ve improved those too so it’s win-win). The aluminium mount seems rock solid; there’s zero wobble when tightened up on the RIS and I’m confident this should be skirmish proof.

100_0161.jpg

100_0160.jpg

Have to say, I like the way this looks on my SFW. The exterior details of the box are spot-on and it’s a handsome bit of kit. Knowing it’s functional makes it seem nicer than a battery box, but maybe that’s just my imagination. It’s definitely better-looking than a battery box when you have a torch and a laser diode at one end and a pressure switch coming out the other; it looks mean.

Performance:

The laser half of the PEQ takes one AA battery; the taclight half takes two. As well as the rear-mounted pressure switch there is also a push-button in the centre, though I’m not sure how much use this would be as doesn’t seem easily accessible to me, but it’s a good replica. The control panel consists of a swivelling dial, consisting of two ‘off’ settings at each end and three ‘on’ settings; torch on, torch and laser on, laser on. A little green LED behind the dial lights up when you’ve got it on so you should be able to notice when you’ve left it on by accident- I like this feature as I’m forever leaving sights and stuff left on, especially with the pressure switch.

100_0154.jpg

I was very impressed with the laser module; the adjusting dials on the side actually work to move the dot (I was expecting a prolonged disassembly-reassembly, allen-bolt-involving procedure) and it’s painlessly easy to get the dot zeroed.

100_0158.jpg

The torch module has a neat design presumably based on the real PEQ, with a rubberised cover with a pinhole in the centre for pinpoint illumination which can be easily popped off (while remaining on the unit) to flood the illumination.

Spot:

100_0156.jpg

Flood:

100_0157.jpg

Moving about in my darkened house the torch and laser combo were more than adequate for the environment, but I’m not quite sure the 130 lumens of the Cree torch will have sufficient power to be effective for floodlighting at longer airsoft ranges, I.e. outdoor, at night. Anyone hoping for Surefire-levels of intensity to burn your enemy’s eyes out will be disappointed, but in my opinion this is an ideal power for CQB and most urban interiors you’ll come up against in your average airsoft game.

Both pressure switches work well and don’t stick, with just the right level of pressure. You can hold the vertical foregrip quite tightly without setting the things off, but just a small increase will light ‘em up.

Aftermarket parts/upgrades:

Only real accessories G+P make for these are RIS covers integrated with pressure switches in matching colours, but you don’t need much more.

Upgrades are interesting; I personally would be interested in upgrading the torch to a higher lumens, but I've seen some threads out there describing how to replace the basic internals with infra-red parts for night-vision equipment, if you’re so inclined.

Final analysis:

I’m impressed with the unit overall, it looks the mutt’s nuts on my SFW and more importantly, performs well to match. The laser is not as powerful as some of the higher-end stuff and the green laser version is probably better for range and accuracy, but the red seems more than adequate for now and I’ve never owned an airsoft laser that’s easier to adjust. The Cree torch lacks the intensity to be properly effective at medium to long airsoft engagement distances, say for protracted outdoor night-fighting, but for CQB and most urban sites I’ve been to I think this will be ideal. At the shipped cost of £83.40 posted from Hong Kong I’d say the combination of such a quality taclight and laser in one handsome package is worth the cash both in looks and practicality.

Plus points:

+ Seems well built, decent materials.

+ Mount is fully aluminium and there’s no rattle or move in it when tightened up. Looks fairly skirmish proof and solid.

+ Set of decals with full trades, most real markings substituted for G&P ones but look good at a distance.

+Laser is easy to adjust and seems fairly powerful, torch is decent and gives good mid-level illumination.

+Also available in sand and green laser versions (green version is approximately 40% more expensive).

Minus points:

- Not as powerful a torch as it could have had for the size perhaps, but this is a minor point.

-Doesn’t seem common in UK retailers, so overseas is your best bet.

-This will NOT fit a battery in it, so don’t even try. Seems fairly self explanatory but there’s always one.

0152.jpg

Thanks for reading, and I’ll update with a full skirmish report after Urban Assault on Saturday.

Edited by spetsnazdave87
  • 1 month later...

Sadly mate, I wouldnt. The laser has started working intermittently and as I havent been to any CQB or urban I havent even taken it out the house yet! Dual mode doesnt work at all and no battery changes or tinkering seems to do any good. Im trying to find a takedown guide to solve the problem but its proving tricky. Im very disappointed in the short lifespan of this product

Id hold off or get a dedicated laser peq and a seperate torch tbh, these seem to be too technical for their own good.