Modify: Torus gearbox V2 available!

Warning

They do make some fine 8mm ceramic standalone bearings though

I am definitely eyeing one to replace my M16 gearbox. My hope is that while seated in the lower the top hole will still show so i can still observe and possibly relube the gearbox without tearing the thing apart.

They do make some fine 8mm ceramic standalone bearings though

I am definitely eyeing one to replace my M16 gearbox. My hope is that while seated in the lower the top hole will still show so i can still observe and possibly relube the gearbox without tearing the thing apart.

Very True. Untill I picked up and installed a Modify Smooth gearset I had always looked at the range with some doubt, but no more. If the quality of the rest of the range is as good as the smooth gearset then i have no qualms about spending money on this gearbox shell.

A word of note:

I have a TORUS 7mm gearbox (loaded up with a MODIFY 6mm SMOOTH torque-up FTK and MODIFY 7mm bushings) and I can tell you there are some fitment issues with G&P metal bodies. The extra front-end reinforcement under the cylinder opening needs to be sanded down to fit into the lower receiver, and the "Cooling fins" on the rear of the body are too high to fit into the lower as well and also require sanding. Also, there is plenty of leftover casting material inside the mechbox. It's a nice mechbox, but it requires some cleaning up and fitting to work properly.

dont forget to lube the gear bearings the set we got was dry

Did your set come with the wee bottle of lube? Mine didn't, even though it says you are meant to in the instruction booklet. The gap in the foam for the bottle in my set was replaced with a chunk of foam. =<

I am a bit disappointed though, I thought it was going to be a "drop in" gearbox. :unsure:

Or just buy a Modify FTK and the Shell it will probably cost about the same. Other than trigger harness you pretty much have all you need. I think doing the shell alone is a better idea as the quantity and quality of the lubing in "drop in" boxes has recognised as being hit and miss.

Or just buy a Modify FTK and the Shell it will probably cost about the same. Other than trigger harness you pretty much have all you need. I think doing the shell alone is a better idea as the quantity and quality of the lubing in "drop in" boxes has recognised as being hit and miss.

Yes that is true.

I was going to use this in my G&P body, but now hearing that it doesn't fit, I think I will have to look elsewhere.

Yay, more holes for dirt to get it and ruin the internals...

Does everyone not care about the huge holes on the gearbox?

I believe everyone, hashed, re-hashed, and then argued some more about this when it was originally released. I don't think the huge holes are going to be a problem here. Regular maintenance should prevent any damage due to dirt.

I believe everyone, hashed, re-hashed, and then argued some more about this when it was originally released. I don't think the huge holes are going to be a problem here. Regular maintenance should prevent any damage due to dirt.

But these holes are big enough to let rocks into the gearbox... I can imagine the horror of getting a piece of rock jammed in the gears.

So do you just skirmish with a gearbox and hold the hopup at the front of the gearbox?

Us normal people have gearboxes inside our guns which tend to keep the gearbox pretty well sealed from the elements, I can't see getting rocks in those will be any more of an issue than dirt and grit getting in through the holes for the wires, the holes in the back of some V2 shells or even holes where the cutoff lever fits in. ;)

So do you just skirmish with a gearbox and hold the hopup at the front of the gearbox?

No, it is more like fixing gearbox failures in the field.

I MIGHT get one IF I ever decide to get a armas**te again.

But that is because of the material.

I wish someone would make a STEEL gearbox.

Surely you should only be working on gearboxes in a clean working area, not somewhere where dust and rocks can get into your gearbox? Infact if you are working on a gearbox in the field I expect the huge gaping hole from having the gearbox split open would be more of a problem than some fairly small holes in the shell?

Maybe its just me who would leave something like that untill i'm in a suitable clean enviroment before working on a gearbox? :unsure:

Surely you should only be working on gearboxes in a clean working area, not somewhere where dust and rocks can get into your gearbox? Infact if you are working on a gearbox in the field I expect the huge gaping hole from having the gearbox split open would be more of a problem than some fairly small holes in the shell?

Maybe its just me who would leave something like that untill i'm in a suitable clean enviroment before working on a gearbox? :unsure:

Nah, its not just you, everyone pretty much has a clean enviroment when working on a gearbox. Haha. adadqgg (HX on other forums) is just bagging on somthing he doesn't have a clue about or finding some way to pick at some product he doesn't like. (hence why he's banned on other forums)

I can't see a rock getting in there unless you decide you want to put some rocks in your gearbox.

Darn shame the Modify shell supposedly doesn't work in G&P bodies. I think highly of their products. I've had great results with their cylinder kits and gearsets. They should look into making high-torque motors.

A normal V2 box already has plenty of openings, it's not like it's sealed from the elements.

Often when I open one up, I find grass and *suitcase* in it, but a properly set up mechbox can handle such minor foreign matter anyway. But rocks? Jesus, get real.

This reminds me of when the local players here get all worried about airsofting when it rains. Somehow they think it's the same as dropping a hairdryer in a bathtub. *chuckle!*

Archived