5KU Magazine Performance Report

im having trouble with the bolt catch with both the RAtech bolt catch as well as the standard bolt catch. the spring on the mag that pushes the lever up is strong but only to a certain point. the spring loses its power within the last 1-2mm but they are the important ones that make the bolt catch function work. i dont know why the spring doesnt push the lever all the way up, looks like i got one of the bad ones

im having trouble with the bolt catch with both the RAtech bolt catch as well as the standard bolt catch. the spring on the mag that pushes the lever up is strong but only to a certain point. the spring loses its power within the last 1-2mm but they are the important ones that make the bolt catch function work. i dont know why the spring doesnt push the lever all the way up, looks like i got one of the bad ones

I'm currently using an Inokatsu firing block with a steel bolt catch. I can feel the strength of spring up to the last cm.

Have you made sure that your bolt catch moves freely when moved manually? I know that the RA-Tech bolt catches are a tight fit.

When did you get your 5KU mags? Maybe mine are of the newest, most-improved, generation???......

Also, remove your upper receiver and insert your mag in the lower only. Observe, check if the lever on the mag is fully engaging the bolt catch flap effectively. See if the bolt catch fully pops up all the way.

-Luis

Edited by Luis21
Nice vid, I was wondering how you fixed the leak in the main valves on your mags? My #1 pet peeve in airsoft is leaky GBB mags. I can't stand it.....

The main valves are real tricky. So many potential leak spots. I'm so tempted to dip them in water real quick to see what part the leak is coming from.

Anyways, 2 of my mags have cured themselves completely. However I still have 2 more stubborn mags that need some in-depth work. I haven't gotten around to fixing them but I will soon.

I also hate leaky mags too man. They suck....

I'll keep everyone updated.

-Luis

@Luis

Can you somehow compare AGM and 5KU mag main valve stiffness? AGM mags are pretty stiff and when you use some types of gas the valve knocker can't depress them even with AGM hammer spring.

Sure, no problem!

Indeed, the AGM magazine's main valve post is very stiff. I can depress mine with my finger but it takes a good amount of force. My Inokatsu hammer spring was not able to depress the AGM main valve so I had to stick with the AGM hammer spring. However, I've never had a problem with my AGM hammer spring not being able to depress the AGM mag valve. Just keep the valve knocker lubed and make sure it moves freely and you shouldn't have a problem.

The 5KU valve, on the other hand, is nothing but smoothness! I can easily depress it with my finger and it returns nicely. It's moves smoothly and doesn't stick like my AGM valve sometimes does. It can be easily depressed by my AGM hammer spring and even though I haven't tested, it seems like it can be knocked down by every other spring out there. That's one great thing about the main valve, the smoothness and the "right" tension.

This is all based on propane/green gas usage by the way. Duster users should have nothing but easy cruising.

-Luis

Thnx for the info. Asking this because I use some variety of red (green?) gas that has not so much more power but far less coll down.

Also my GHK are working flawlessly with this gas but when the AGM one is full, it cannot be depressed by the knocker.

No problem. Yeah, all gas on the market might vary in pressure and whatnot.

All I use is regular propane.

-Luis

New discovery guys!

I tested with some water and the leaks come from the main middle o-ring. The one that's shaped like the hull of a boat, the one with 6 sides.

That one isn't sealing with the inside of the mag walls properly. I need to teflon tape it ASAP.

I lubed the main valve o-rings real well and the leaks disappeared completely!

It's the main o-ring in the middle! This makes it way EASIER now since it's one big o-ring instead of 5-6 small ones.

-Luis