Tokyo Marui l96 AWS

Hi guys

Have a look on this thread (towards the end). There is a lot of discussion about upgrades and a review of trashers PDI upgrades and the problems he had with his gun afterwards.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=173081

I am waiting for the Laylax parts to be released before i decide how im going to upgrade mine

Al

Curious if there have been any updates? Really interested in the TM right now. Trying to determine if it's the way I want to go...

Overall, what's the general consensus? I've got a shop with a Tanaka AICS M700 for about $500 USD NIB that's trying to take my money ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what's the best speedloader to use with the L96 mag. Any of my loaders are pretty ineffective....

Hi Horse84

I have found that hand loading is the best method so far, some people have tried a speed loader with a pistol mag adaptor fitted but this gets mixed results.

I just bought a couple of extra mags, lets face it, with a BA your not going to rattle off 120 rounds in a hurry!

And itbvolks

Some upgrade parts are coming online now, a company called TNT have released a trigger and 500fps piston/spring & cylinder head kit for $183. See link below

http://www.tntsniperproshop.com/product.de...528_en_2784707#

I am waiting for Laylax to release their offerings and hopefuly PDI will release some more parts, then i will decide what to use in my upgrade. I just wish they would hurry up, i realy wanna see how this gun can preform!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone still using the Maruzen APS96?!

i sure as hell am! i use mine to chuck .43's around. they dont go where i want them to, mind :P

as for the TM, ive been following this for ages now. when more parts are out, i think i shall have to invest!

I stand by what I said earlier - the loading system is too complicated, what with the feeding ramp, etc.

It'll jam.

Ben.

I was worried about the feeding system but it is quite simple and has been trouble free so far, have put about 1500 rounds through mine so far and it hasnt been an issue.

I am putting mine in for the PDI upgrades this week, Laylax dont seem to be making many internal parts yet so now PDI have released their trigger group i will be fitting their parts.

Im looking forward to skirmishing it with a decent fps so expect a skirmish report within the next month or so

• 2 weeks later...

There is a problem with it.

It's just another thing to go wrong, which you definitely don't need in a highly-upgraded sniper.

Cheap ammo might jam in it.

Expensive ammo might get chipped or deformed being pushed along that little track.

Rogue Trooper: Do you keep the track clean? Had a look at it recently?

Ben.

There is no problem with the loading system.

There is no problem except it's overcomplicated, useless, collects dirt, and it puts excessive strain on the BBs. The loading lever on the nozzle can break easily (mine did) and there is no reinforced replacement. The idiotic mags (which can jam on precision BBs, and require tool for unloading (or loading unless you mod them)) are also the product of the "no problem" loading system. :rolleyes:

Useless? Not really since it allows the magazine to be placed in the right place. For some people (myself not really included) that's a selling point.

Overcomplicated? Maybe, but it's a solution to a problem.

Rough on the BBs? This one I will buy. However this issue can be rectified quite easily with the "Hard" type Goldenballs. Those things are VERY hard to cut or even scratch.

Only time will tell. So far, there just aren't that many people who have it.

Hi All

I just had my first outing with my L96 since upgrading it.

It is now fitted with the PDI cylinder set with VC piston, PDI 140 spring & SCS hop mod.

It chronos at a fairly consistant, early 420's fps (10 shot string, Blaster Devils .20's, hop off. 421, 425, 425, 426, 422, 423, 422,422, 423, 421fps

Hopefuly PDI will release some stronger springs soon as this gun doing 500fps will be awesome!

I am quite amazed at the accuracy of this gun now! i was consistantly hitting a clay pidgeon size target at about 50 meters. (fired from a standing position, direct aim, using Zero One .36 ammo)

Even a friend who had a couple of shots got close!

In game i scored 18 good kills at range and the gun preformed perfectly.

Cocking the gun wasnt a problem, whilst standing or laid prone, i found that the cocking mech was a little clunky at first (post PDI) but its bedding in nicely now and getting quite smooth

I had NO feed issues whatsoever (aprox 250 rounds fired in game & range testing, aprox 2000 rounds total)

The feed blade is still not showing any signs of wear.

I looked inside the feed system after the game and it seems clean, there were a few rough/sharp moulded edges inside the BB feed track so i sanded them smooth.

Out of 20 Blaster Devils .20's collected after firing i did notice 3 with light scuff marks, they didnt feel rough tho.

On the 16 Zero One .36's collected after firing there were no noticable wear marks.

I anticipate my trigger sears will fail soon like Trasher's did so i have ordered the PDI trgger group and will fit it ASAP!

All in all im very happy with the way it is developing and its in game handling/effectiveness,

Al

Edited by Rogue Trooper

Just loading the mag with a speedloader is worse for the bb's than the feeding system, I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Well, the loading lever is giving each BB two slaps (scratches) from different directions, and with each shot all the BBs in the mag move back and forth a little. Then they fall upon the ramp and roll about 10cm up to the hopup chamber. If the mag jams, get blocked the loading lever can break easily at the weakest point (at base of nozzle). Since this rifle loads with the bolt pulled to the rear it's easy to make double-triple feeds, if the sear locking is not 100%.

It's definitley WORSE than the VSR system (where the BBs are not rocked back and forth each shot, not scracthed by the loading lever 2 times, and they travel on the shortest possible route), regardless of the speedloader...

Useless? Not really since it allows the magazine to be placed in the right place. For some people (myself not really included) that's a selling point.

From the perspective of the serious airsoft sniper it's an useless and pointless feature. For me, the only strong points of the TM L96 is the hopup improvements and the bolt lock.

Edited by Trasher

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your gun Trasher!

I too am a paying close attention to the feed blade as it could be an issue.

Also the scoring of the BB's worries me a bit!

I havnt had many fliers whilst firing gun, it fires pretty damn straight, maybe the dammage to the BB's very minor.

Im taking mine to a game next Sunday so will do more testing.

Trasher, after you fitted your PDI chamber upgrade, do you know roughly how many rounds you fired before the trigger sear broke on yours?

Al

Well, the loading lever is giving each BB two slaps (scratches) from different directions, and with each shot all the BBs in the mag move back and forth a little. Then they fall upon the ramp and roll about 10cm up to the hopup chamber. If the mag jams, get blocked the loading lever can break easily at the weakest point (at base of nozzle). Since this rifle loads with the bolt pulled to the rear it's easy to make double-triple feeds, if the sear locking is not 100%.

It's definitley WORSE than the VSR system (where the BBs are not rocked back and forth each shot, not scracthed by the loading lever 2 times, and they travel on the shortest possible route), regardless of the speedloader...

From the perspective of the serious airsoft sniper it's an useless and pointless feature. For me, the only strong points of the TM L96 is the hopup improvements and the bolt lock.

I love it when you people talk like that.

I guess all those Japanese airsoft snipers in Japan are just noobs. They're not important. TM should just forget about them and design guns for "serious airsoft snipers".

I love it when you people talk like that.

I guess all those Japanese airsoft snipers in Japan are just noobs. They're not important. TM should just forget about them and design guns for "serious airsoft snipers".

Translation: "I don't think the issues you mentioned are as big a deal as you're suggesting. I think this because...."

I dunno if all the cool kids on your regular forum think it's clever to simply belittle other peoples opinions but around here we prefer a less antagonistic approach AND it really helps if you can support your own opinion with facts rather than just sarcastic comments.

We clear? :waggle:

Translation: "I don't think the issues you mentioned are as big a deal as you're suggesting. I think this because...."

I dunno if all the cool kids on your regular forum think it's clever to simply belittle other peoples opinions but around here we prefer a less antagonistic approach AND it really helps if you can support your own opinion with facts rather than just sarcastic comments.

We clear? :waggle:

Fair enough, sarcasm is bad.

But what about: "From the perspective of the serious airsoft sniper it's an useless and pointless feature"? Was that called for? I'm just saying "it's the opinion of some people in Japan that magazine placement is important". That's not an opinion, that's me reporting a fact that to the best of my knowledge is true.

I don't claim to be a "serious airsoft sniper" I'm just saying what is happening in the Japanese market, again, to the best of my knowledge.

I have been belittled and ridiculed for being Japanese (I'm not even Japanese) called a "geardo" or some weird person who only shoots sniper rifles in his room. And the moment I stop to point out someone's arrogance regarding their status as a "serious airsoft sniper" I get slammed.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Fair enough, sarcasm is bad.

But what about: "From the perspective of the serious airsoft sniper it's an useless and pointless feature"? Was that called for? I'm just saying "it's the opinion of some people in Japan that magazine placement is important". That's not an opinion, that's me reporting a fact that to the best of my knowledge is true.

I don't claim to be a "serious airsoft sniper" I'm just saying what is happening in the Japanese market, again, to the best of my knowledge.

I have been belittled and ridiculed for being Japanese (I'm not even Japanese) called a "geardo" or some weird person who only shoots sniper rifles in his room. And the moment I stop to point out someone's arrogance regarding their status as a "serious airsoft sniper" I get slammed.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

What you've been is busted for having a duplicate account.