Force Recon Kit Discussion

grundig

beards take water or batteries to remove, both of which are precious to a unit that operates for 30 days doing deep recon missions.

There's a lot of reasons. Supplies. Blending in. Stealth. Priorities. Being elite Force Recon operators.

Sneakers instead of boots, unbloused trousers, hats instead of helmets, and so forth. Plus it's a lot of doing what your senior leaders do. There was a Master Sergeant in my unit who, because of his baldness, would grow a large beard out in a matter of days. He literally looked like a special forces pirate (he had a lot of facial scars from battle).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me they don't look like Marines. Could be Army Special Forces, Navy SEALS or Delta.

Captions and source reference would be helpful.

Well, my friend knows one of them personally so you can take that for whatever you want. I also didn't mean to write MSOAG, but they are MARSOC and I will not go any further on which part of MARSOC they are with.

There are also other videos of MARSOC Marines with beards, just because you have an idea of what a Marine looks like doesn't mean that's the rule of what a Marines looks like. I've had Lt. Col's, Master Sgt's, and Sgt Maj's who grew beards, are they not Marines?

To me they don't look like Marines. Could be Army Special Forces, Navy SEALS or Delta.

Captions and source reference would be helpful.

orly?

You just love to disagree with Marines dont you? And how would you even know what Marines look like KWP, Last time i checked you arent one......

Enough.

I don't feel like having Misfit coming in again. Marines or not flaming is not necessary.

No offense but how do we know anybody here is Marine, Army, etc. Hell, Fatal could just be *rickroll* Cheney screwing around with us.

Well, my friend knows one of them personally so you can take that for whatever you want. I also didn't mean to write MSOAG, but they are MARSOC and I will not go any further on which part of MARSOC they are with.

There are also other videos of MARSOC Marines with beards, just because you have an idea of what a Marine looks like doesn't mean that's the rule of what a Marines looks like. I've had Lt. Col's, Master Sgt's, and Sgt Maj's who grew beards, are they not Marines?

Thanks Fatal, that clears it up. As you may know I'm more involved in grunts impressions and not so familiar with FR impressions, so I needed some backing information why these are Force Recon Marines. So, it seems FR Marines can wear whatever they please, much like Army SF.

Thanks Fatal, that clears it up. As you may know I'm more involved in grunts impressions and not so familiar with FR impressions, so I needed some backing information why these are Force Recon Marines. So, it seems FR Marines can wear whatever they please, much like Army SF.

They're not Force, they are MARSOC, and those aren't the same, MARSOC is part of SOCOM, and Force is well Force, part of Recon Battalion.

Though i would think Force could do the same thing with the beards if needed, but that's only a guess.

They're not Force, they are MARSOC, and those aren't the same, MARSOC is part of SOCOM, and Force is well Force, part of Recon Battalion.

Though i would think Force could do the same thing with the beards if needed, but that's only a guess.

Haha, thanks that's very confusing. Thanks for clarifying. I just wikied it up and seems there was some reorganization of FR in the past years.

Haha, thanks that's very confusing. Thanks for clarifying. I just wikied it up and seems there was some reorganization of FR in the past years.

Yup, they stood up, i think two companies last decemeber, and were suppose to do a couple more this year, but havent heard much about that.

I am glad Force is back, though.

MARSOC is part of USSOCOM

Force Recon is part of FMF (Fleet Marine Force) like the rest of the "normal" Marine Corps.

Force Recon will usually dispense with the formalities associated with the Marine Corps the further they operate from higher HQ. So when they do long-range recon or patrols, they will allow the grooming standard to loosen. Uniform regulations will become different too. But as soon as they return to base where some higher-ranking non-FR person can chew them out, they will return to the standards as held by the regular Marine Corps. Haircuts, uniform regs, facial hair, and the like will all return to normal.

MARSOC is well, MARSOC, and THEY can do whatever they want.

Force Recon is still a FMF asset and has to deal with the same politics as any other unit.

While I was a part of Bulk Fuel, I regularly had my hair low-regulation.

As for organization.

1st and 2nd Force went to MARSOC forming 1st MSOB and 2nd MSOB respectively.

3rd and 4th Force still exists and back up the Recon BNs when they deploy.

5th Force became part of 3rd Recon BN.

It's not that they "reactivated" 1st or 2nd Force Recon, because those guys are gone.

They "created" new Force Recon companies for both 1st and 2nd Recon BN. So within those battalions they have like Alpha, Bravo, Force Recon (probably DOES have a phonetic name like charlie), and H&S.

No Force Recon company has been reactivated, but at least two NEW Force Recon companies have been stood up to fill the void of 1st and 2nd Force Recon's departure.

edit: Okay clarification.

Previously Force Recon companies were stand-alone units. Like 3rd and 4th Force Recon is still. They are their own unit most of the time and when a Recon BN requires a Force Recon capability they attach either 3rd of Force Recon to them and go to war. At the end of war they unhitch and so-long see you next time.

As I understand it, these new Force Recon companies are PERMANENTLY attached to whatever Recon BN they were created in. They move with that battalion. 3rd Recon BN kind of did this in the early 2000s by eating 5th Force Recon and making that company a permanent platoon sized element (DRP/DAP) within the BN.

Now there are no doubt some exceptions. I am sure if it was really necessary 1st and 2nd Recon BN could temporarily give up their Force Recon companies to whatever unit that needs it.

And I am speculating here, but I am guessing that these new Force Recon companies were grown within the Recon BNs by assigning (probably the best regular Recon leadership and talent) personnel from Alpha and Bravo Company into the new Force Recon company and saying, "hey you're force recon now! build this unit up!"

I offer this speculation because I have not heard of anyone from 3rd or 4th Force Recon going to these new companies, although I am sure a few have. I have only heard of 3rd and 4th Force Recon sending its operators to be part of MARSOC (when they choose to do so).

edit: Also I think MSOAG became MSOR (Marine Special Operations Regiment), not just an MSOB. I think this is what is happening. But the details are not clear yet. Maybe in a few months when the dust settles.

Ah thanks for clearling that up shadow.

and on the speculation part. You think people in MARSOC who were in 1st, or 2nd Force, were put in the new Force companies after their cycle with MARSOC was up? because as i understand it, when you are in MARSOC, you are only on it for one deployment then cycle out, but you can try to get in again. Though i dont know what all you have to do then.

Ah thanks for clearling that up shadow.

and on the speculation part. You think people in MARSOC who were in 1st, or 2nd Force, were put in the new Force companies after their cycle with MARSOC was up? because as i understand it, when you are in MARSOC, you are only on it for one deployment then cycle out, but you can try to get in again. Though i dont know what all you have to do then.

Honestly my knowledge of MARSOC is limited, especially since I am out. My knowledge of MARSOC is based on when it was still kind of new and what I hear from friends and read on the Internet.

There would be advantages to rotating recon operators from MARSOC back into the FMF, they would bring back a lot of operational knowledge and training that the Marine Corps didn't have to fund/pay for. It also lets other operators go into MARSOC and repeat the same.

But then again, if I was a highly elite SOCOM organization I'd want to keep all my best players. I know in the regular Recon BN community once your tour is up with that BN you could, for some reason, go back to the grunts or whatever. But most operators choose to try and stay with their BN (this is where reenlistment contracts and deals are made) or bounce to another Recon BN. It may be the same with MARSOC, once their tour is up with one MSOB they can either go back to Force Recon or bounce to another MSOB. Or any of the other components of MARSOC.

I think what I am trying to get at is that MARSOC is still pretty new and we just don't know what their policies are for sure.

You guys got it all wrong, first of Grunts and FR allways hangout, i mean all the time!

gigalos1860.jpg

And Second they allways eat at McDonalds, to stay fit.

gigalos1862.jpg

And last they allways party with Jason Vorhees.

gigalos1866.jpg

Fact! And True story, Legendary!

Archived