Force Recon Kit Discussion

grundig

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ tomster I could be wrong ;-)

More info on MARSOC

Marine Special Operations Regiment Stands Up

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command has been implementing changes to its force structure since January in order to unify its capabilities and improve its operability.

The changes highlight the forming of the Marine Special Operations Regiment, which acts as a headquarters element for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Marine Special Operations Battalions.

Prior to the changes, 1st and 2nd MSOB, and the Marine Special Operations Advisor Group fell directly under the MARSOC commander, while 3rd and 4th MSOB fell under the MSOAG.

Now, the MSOAG has been redesignated as the MSOR, which falls under the MARSOC commander. Additionally, 4th MSOB was disbanded and its personnel were used to help form the regiment.

"The changes have been made to create three battalions that will all have equal capabilities in direct action, special reconnaissance and foreign internal defence," said Lt. Col. J. D. Duke, the operations officer for the MSOR.

"Having three like battalions with the same organization, and structure, the same table of equipment, the same skill sets, the same mind set for mission focus will allow MARSOC to engage anywhere in the spectrum where SOCOM is involved," said Maj. Christopher K. Wales, the executive officer of 2nd MSOB. "It will enable us to succeed."

Currently, each MSOB is still focusing on their former role as the changes have not been fully implemented, but in the future, each MSOB will be responsible for a region of the world, Duke said.

"The change made to MARSOC was not based on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," Duke said. "It was based on the future of MARSOC as a whole."

The change in force structure also lines up with the new type of operators being produced by the MARSOC Individual Training Course, Duke said.

"By saying these three like battalions are going to have the same capabilities, it means that the school house only has to produce one basic qualified Marine Special operator," Duke said.

The new regiment also has improved the commands ability to manage assets between the three battalions, Wales said.

"What we've seen is an increase in efficiency in operational planning and logistics planning at our level," Wales said. "It's simply because there are so many ancillary tasks that the regiment is now responsible for."

Tomster and Floyd, your kits look amazing, I wish I was anywhere near that far along.

So I've found that my belt kit needs some more work. I've got all the pouches I need (for the first line, only a few that will be on the second line) sans 2 pouches (saw pouch, and dual m4/four 1911 pouch, maybe a smaller E&E too), but I would like to switch from Pantac blast belt to something more authentic. I take it my options are duty belt, duty belt with pad, and MOLLE belt. I would strike the plain duty belt from the list since I don't think it would be comfortable with my relatively heavy first line, but what about the other two? How do they (belt w/ pad, or MOLLE belt) compare in terms of capacity? I assume the pad and MOLLE belt are both Eagle, right? What do you all recommend?

Lighten your first line.

I will as soon as I get a new job and can actually afford an RRV or CIRAS, but at the moment I have to stick with the little ticket items :wide-eyed: . It's not actually rediculously heavy, Safariland on the right, dropleg panel on the left, I want to put the m4/1911 mag pouch on the dropleg, dump and FAK along with an E&E in a slightly larger than nescescary GP pouch on the back I may also put two 1911 pouches (actually I think they may be doublestacks, it doesnt say) on the front left so it's an easy draw. Depending on the game there have been a few extra things, but I think just about everything else is going to my chest when I get my rig (hopefully by x-mas). Once I switch the blastbelt out I will probably removing things too, since I doubt the other options will be a supporting as it (part of it's problem is that it is too ridgid, makes me anything but high speed.

@Adiventure: Thanks man, well personally I choose the padded duty belt instead of the molle one, once you have the vest you will see that´s there too much molle in both of them.As MT says it´s a very heavy first line, it´s ok for a time, but as I´ve said before once you have your vest you should change all those things to it.And leave first for "what you need to survive" such as a holster, maybe some .45FBs pouches, drop mag pouch and if you want it the leg panel.

Cheers

@Adiventure: Thanks man, well personally I choose the padded duty belt instead of the molle one, once you have the vest you will see that´s there too much molle in both of them.As MT says it´s a very heavy first line, it´s ok for a time, but as I´ve said before once you have your vest you should change all those things to it.And leave first for "what you need to survive" such as a holster, maybe some .45FBs pouches, drop mag pouch and if you want it the leg panel.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll be trying to pick up a belt pad/set whenever I next see it pop up on eBay. I would love to get rid of the leg panel, as people have said, it's surprisingly uncomfortable as far as droplegs go, but until I get my vest I need it for the real estate.

I'd go for the Eagle Duty Belt w/pad. Unpadded duty belts with MOLLE pouches suck because the MOLLE straps dig into your sides, the pouches slip and slide and rotate on the belt. Also, secure your pouches with cable ties if not using a MOLLE belt, it will help prevent shifting.

I second that on ditching as much stuff off your first line as possible.

I played a weekend Op and by the time I was getting home my hips were killing me from carrying all the weight on them.

I had a Molle belt but didn't like it because it was to fat to wear with my plate carrier and pushed the bottom of my plate carrier up.

So now I run with a padded belt with suspenders and its so much better.

Safariland, dump pouch, IFAK, frag pouch, Drop leg with 4 .45 singles, double M4 pouch.

When I've got that on and my MBSS and Paca it feels like too much. I'm shifting as much off it as I can onto my plate carrier.

Seriously once you get the weight off your hips and waist and onto your plate carrier it will feel a lot better.

How accurate is the gear in "Generation Kill"? i know it´s Recon BT, but in the early war in Iraque PASGT and DCU was in use?

Besides Ebay where can i find a IBA woodland?

Cheers

DCU was introduced in 1992 and the PASGT was issiud between 1980s and 2003!

Afaik the gear is quite authentic...

Thanks for the piece of info Bernd

I came across this foto

DSCN0227.JPG

Bill Cahir, center, and fellow Marines during a briefing before an Oct. 26, 2006 patrol into downtown Fallujah, Iraq, where they expected enemy contact due to the number of Marines killed in Fallujah around that time.

And

He served in Ramadi and Fallujah from August 2004-March 2005 and again in Fallujah from September 2006-April 2007, when he was the lead turret gunner for a civil affairs team working with Iraqis and engaging tribal sheiks.

My question is: Why he uses the Flightsuit? why not a MCCUU's?

I´m just curious because i only seen so far "special teams" using CW...

Cheers

Archived