side-by-side, sawed-off shotgun

renegadecow

This build was consigned to me quite some time ago and it was only until now that I've felt like taking it on. Don't I sound like a princess? :P Seriously though I have to make this one as a breather after making so many HERA copies now.

If I were to quote myself:

"Using Tanaka shotgun shells in a direct transfer lever-type trigger is stupid because not only would the trigger pull be heavy, the power of the shot is directly related to how fast the trigger is pulled."

And to quote my friend/client:

"It's ok. Just make it. Make it cheap too. It's for show/backup for the most part anyway"

OOOookaay. So here we go.

Made the barrels fit the shell. Also a block is needed inside because a couple parts from the shell like to dislodge themselves when shot.

100_1731.jpg

100_1737.jpg

100_1732.jpg

Attached the hinge part for the barrels and made the basic frame for the receiver.

100_1738.jpg

100_1739.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1742.jpg

That's about it so far. I'm mostly copying the Hudson/WaShan MadMax shotgun for looks, but I didn't bother making everything exact to make things quicker. This is a whole lot shorter with 8" barrels only while the MadMax one has a 12" at the least.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just as a thought and looking at your current platform.. a real double-barrel works by having two internal hammers on a very basic sear system, when the barrel is "Broken" the hammers are cocked back via a simple link bar that looks like a T shape.. its entirely possible you could replicate this design to work with those shells, so that when the hammer is in the "Fired" position it hits the valve open.. to make it simpler you could have the one hammer spring operate two linked hammers, so you'd only require three major parts for the whole system, linkage, hammer, and trigger..

if your interested i can do some sketches for you of how real-steel shotgun hammer and trigger designs are done

the other option is go even more classic and go for an open-hammer design..

just as a thought and looking at your current platform.. a real double-barrel works by having two internal hammers on a very basic sear system, when the barrel is "Broken" the hammers are cocked back via a simple link bar that looks like a T shape...

For the airsoft version a simple lever as part of the trigger is all you need, this as a few advantages and no real disadvantage, With the system you describe the firing pin would lock the shell in place since it has to go fairly deep into the shell to fire it reliably. If you get a light strike with the floating pin design you need to reset the system by breaking open, in a lever only, you just pull harder. It also has no way to discharge a live round, this might not be too important since only a muppet would try, but various countries laws would prohibit such a system- which is what happened to Tanakas revolvers with similar shells. :(

Loving the idea renegade, any chance you'll be taking commissions for these? You wont even have to paint them to send them to the UK, just say they're VCRA compliant :P .

cool project, but why not just buy a WA shan? you can even convert them to use tanaka shells if you want.

Really? Mind elaborating/ posting a link?

This is a pretty cool project I must say, I knew someone had to do it eventually.

love this idea bud! any chance of making a 40mm version? maybe over under instead of side by side!

I second that!

Would at least love to see a such blueprint or build guide, though buying the finished product would be easier.

Really? Mind elaborating/ posting a link?

This is a pretty cool project I must say, I knew someone had to do it eventually.

saw one in the US classifieds ages ago converted to use the CL slug/buckshot shells, cant really elaborate on that i'm afraid :(

seconded on the force a nature for a future project. make it a 40mm too ;)

Any chance you'll be taking commissions for these? You wont even have to paint them to send them to the UK, just say they're VCRA compliant :P .

Still trying to find a way to get them out of the country, I'm afraid. The last time I tried (Fed Ex too) I was told they have a standing order not to ship anything gun related be it an airsoft toy or an Uzi shaped bar of soap.

cool project, but why not just buy a WA shan? you can even convert them to use tanaka shells if you want.

Did I not mention my client was cheap? He wants this for a fraction of the washan. I'd have had the internal components of a real shotgun copied myself, but it would have to be metal to be durable which would end up costing abut as much as a washan.

And yeah, you guys can stop clamoring for a side-by-side 40mm. It's definitely coming. To be honest, I was thinking about it even before this project started. But before that, some updates though few because of some power outages.

built the back end of the receiver which will house the trigger components

100_1746.jpg

mock up of triggers, and stock

100_1747.jpg

More done. Much more without them power outages. I'm trying to take more pictures per progress step so's you guys can see exactly how I go abouts building stuff.

Double triggers cut out

100_1755.jpg

Barrel rib made and glued on

100_1756.jpg

Simplified breech lock open

100_1752.jpg

100_1754.jpg

Closed. I found out that earlier shotguns used this simpler method instead of having an internal and self-locking catch.

100_1753.jpg

Added material on the breech lever and shaped.

100_1758.jpg

Partially assembled in my hand for size reference. It's kinda smaller than I thought it would be. Makes me want one for myself honestly, but I'm liking the "el muy muchos machos calibre" bigger brother better.

100_1761.jpg

Will be making the wood furniture today and work on the details like rounding corners and such. I'd be hard pressed to finish it though, being that its a beautiful horrible Saturday with the sun nowhere to be seen and looks like more rain.

What type of glue do you use, they are pvc pipes and sheets are they?

Industrial grade cyanoacrylate, not the typical "super glue" bought at hardware stores (those have extenders and thickeners), the kind used for making shoes and such. All the blue material is PVC.

Finished inlaying the stock but still have to carve the outside. Both pieces are 3 layers of plank glued together. With the proper grain orientation, glue prep and sanding technique, it can be made to look as if it were one solid piece.

100_1762.jpg

100_1763.jpg

edit:

there's a picture of the glue on the first pic, top right corner.

IT WORKS!!! I'm formally recalling all the times I've said that Tanaka shells will suck with a lever for a hammer. With a 1:2 ratio for the length of the lever arms (shell axis is 15mm from pivot point while the trigger finger is at 30mm) the pull weight is reduced to a mere 8~12lbs with a long draw, much like any double action revolver.

Wood parts shaped and roughly sanded. I've even put a beavertail (well, half of it since its sawed off) on the fore end.

100_1764.jpg

Trigger mechanism finished, you can see the transfer bar on the side

100_1770.jpg

Triggers reset

100_1775.jpg

Triggers pulled

100_1776.jpg

Since the Tanaka shells are self-resetting, I'm not adding springs to the triggers plus it helps lighten the trigger pull. Performance kinda blows though, even with propane my "chrono" (shot myself in the stomach) reads 140fps. But those were from the shells alone as I haven't installed an inner barrel of any sort. I'm thinking chopping up a cheap plastic or aluminum barrel 3" long should bring this to 250fps like my Detonics does. Or should I use a slightly larger diameter tube to spread out the shot even more? On my 8mm Mateba, using my custom 3x6mm shells spread the bbs man-size at 10m.

Was requested flat black on the plastic parts and unfinished for the wood. The owner wants to weather it himself although I've gone and stained the wood in walnut just the same because this wood is too light. Everything is finished now including the trigger guard which is just an oval strip of PVC stuck underneath but I didn't get to take a pic yet. Should be done painting it by tomorrow.

I've also done some preliminary inner barrel tests with a plastic barrel from a cheap springer. Launched the entire inner barrel and temporary centering guides a good 20m. It's good I decided not to use my chrono for the test. <_<

Archived