British Kit

darkchild130

Hello, this thread is intended primarily for me to give you guys info on kit you may be interested in as airsofters, focusing around a full PECOC review i will start in a week or so. I started it early because im not a happy bunny and i'll tell you why.

Yesterday the decision was made that this Lewis machine and tool LM7 (Brit designation)

lm7.jpg

(with a 16 inch barrel and a x6 Elcan) would be the new sharpshooter rifle for the infantry, issued at section level to provide a 600m kill 800m harassing fire capability to the average grunt. The concept is that he can carry this as a replacement for his L85A2 and use it in a pinch in CQB as well as at a distance.

It beat this 417

hk417.jpg

Despite not going through a proper trial process, having no automatic function, no forward assist, a fixed stock (bloody useless in cqb), a Stainless match barrel (try putting a thousand rounds down it in a few hours and see what happens <_< ).

The 417 is superior in every way, yet the LM7 was chosen. All i can say is that internal politics are a funny thing and Darkchild is not a happy boy.

(i was one of the guys that trialled the 417, every person that saw them both together preferred the 417 over the LM7)

I dont have any of my own photos of the guns so i dragged the most similar ones to real life i could find. I just had to post this.

Darkchild

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
)

The 417 is superior in every way, yet the LM7 was chosen. All i can say is that internal politics are a funny thing and Darkchild is not a happy boy.

It's coz the LM7 looks cooler...

Well, i think it does anyway.

Saying that, we could have equipped the whole armed forces with AK's for half the price of fixing the L85.

Going on what i know, which isn't an awful lot, it seems to me like the Army generally purchases equipment based on what's good for international politics and trade, not what's good for the soldier himself.

I imagine they went rusty.

Good point.

Plus they where well known for jamming, I am told* they jam as often as the SA80, but nobody cared because nobody made such a big thing about the FAL when it was introduced.

*hear'say is unreliable :P

What the fu-

So a pimped AR-10 clone with a magpul stock over a HK417? Great.

So when the Direct Impingement system in the AR-10 inevitably *fruitcage*s itself due to the sand and such...

I can't quite convince my keyboard how incredibly angry I am.

So basically the testing was a smoke screen as they had already agreed a deal for this perhaps (I am not saying this is true, but the government are liek B.T. lots of smoke and mirrors when they have already made up there mind and just like to waste the testers time).? <_<

The Fals were all sold to African nations.

Like i said before, it was all internal politics among the different procurement sub units, a bit complicated and it would be unprofessional of me to name names or go into detail.

But i am very angry about it, seeing as i may have to depend on a rifleman armed with this when i next deploy, knowing we could have had something better.

In other news, the next pattern of Camo for UK forces is a Crye multicam variant, merging the DPM pattern with multicam colours.

No examples currently exist so i cant provide photos at all, but this will be with us when pecoc arrives, circa 2011.

I believe the first examples will be trialled next year sometime.

And dont any of you dare think about phoning any newspapers, that will do nothing but damage to me and the army as a whole (mainly me though).

I wanted to tell you guys this info because A) im annoyed and B) its relevant to airsofters to know how RS loadouts are changing. So please dont get me fired.

EDIT: @ Doughboy: Yeah the bearded wierdos luckily have their own procurement chain and have the entire family of 417s, the 12 inch variant is pure sex!

Darkchild

Thanks for the update darkchild, appreciated. The new camo to me sounds like something a colonial marine from Aliens would wear!! Will tokyo marui please release a 417, my wallet really needs to shed some wieght.

So there getting rid of the osprey after I just bought a 2nd hand one from flecktarn, great.

I thought PECOC was axed/lost it's funding. Is it back on?

PECOC lost its funding, then got it back.

@Mattmaniac: No, that camo is a crappy camo developed by PECOC themselves called hybrid 6. They developed loads of camo patterns and they all sucked.

Darkchild

It's a *fruitcage* joke.

That LM7 is a bloody civvy target rifle not a bloody combat rifle. Was the final choice made by some ones wife/girlfriend/rent boy who just picked what they thought was the prettiest?

Can anyone else see HK being asked to do a refit on the LM7 in about 2-3 years when the higher ups finally realise they *fruitcage*ed up and HK will end up fitting an adjustable stock, gas piston and new barrel bringing the total cost per weapon above the cost of buying 417s in the first place.

Archived