• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

@Darkchild.....

FN MINIMI™ 7.62 Machine Gun Selected by British Military

08 June 2011

FN Herstal has recently been awarded a new contract by the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) for the supply of up to 176 MINIMI™ 7.62 light machine guns by the end of 2011.

The contract also includes optional quantities of a further 250 MINIMI 7.62 machine guns to be delivered annually over a three-year period from 2012 to 2014 should these options be exercised.

The MoD selected the machine gun manufactured by the Belgian firearms manufacturer following several months of functional testing under various environmental conditions.

The MINIMI 7.62 is lightweight (8.4kg) and can therefore be carried over rough ground and fired from standing position while providing the range and target effect of the 7.62 ammunition. The model chosen by the MoD also features a sliding buttstock for easier carriage that incorporates a hydraulic buffer for stabilised rate of fire and reduced recoil forces.

The MINIMI 7.62 machine gun offers similar ergonomics and maneuverability as the MINIMI 5.56 machine gun chambered in 5.56mmx45mm NATO calibre. The MINIMI 5.56 has already been in service in their thousands with the British Armed Forces since 2003.

Belgium-based FN Herstal is a world leader in the design, development and manufacture of small calibre weapons, integrated weapon systems and associated ammunition for military and law enforcement as well as special forces operators worldwide.

Is this the end of the gimpy, or will it be retained as a wheacle mounted weapon? Or is this purchase simply meant to supplement the current weapon platforms, due to the need for more 7.62 weapons?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just taken delivery of the MTP BDUs from ebairsoft & i'm surprised how well they are made.Time will tell if they stand up to playing airsoft in but they look & feel the business with out having to buy dodgy kit taken out of the back door{this is dodgy copied kit}.At £50 & some pennies posted to my front door i think they are worth the money.I have games on the last two weekends of this month {one of which is a weekender} so it will be interesting to see how the gear copes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry I havent posted in ages but real life got in the way. I'm out of the army in October so haven't really got much more in the way of airsoft relevant kit to trial.

from the previous page: The sharpshooter is issued on a one per section basis, to provide a sharpshooter capacity (yanks call it a DMR).

the best shot in a section gets it as his personal weapon and receives additional training. Note this is not sniper training.

The GPMG isn't going anywhere, the 7,62mm lmg is being brought in to boost section firepower over the current lmg.

The ops core helmet is current SF issue, we trialled it but it doesn't meet coverage requirements for regular forces so probably will be rejected.

When this thread closes down I will open up a new one to document my adventures as a Close Protection Operative.

Until then, bye bye.

Darkchild

• 6 months later...

Does it have a zip up the middle like a waist coat with several angled pouches on each side or is it a full blown chest rig?

If it is the waist coat type (and having no pics or links i am speculating) they were introduced as a trial. Operations in Afghan saw the move from traditional webbing to plate carriers with pouches so the vest was pretty much obsolete before it took off.

There is a military tailor in Arborfield near reading who still makes them to original spec. If you happen to own about £600 of grenades then it can be pretty cool for airsoft.

To my knowledge, they never made it past the trials and development stage and into field force Army due to the change in kit for Afghan, but just because i never saw it is by no means the final nail in the coffin. Some infantry units may well have used them during the kit transition period and there is always the possibilty that SF units used them in secret.

If it is more chest rig - completely dis-regard everything above as without a piccy i have no idea what you are refering to!

It is indeed a bandoleer... think of it as a hand bag for grenades!

You would have your "normal" grenades in the pouches on your kit. If you planned on being out for a while or were gong in for a deliberate or planned attack you would want to carry extra ammo... this it what you would carry it in.

It has been in service since we have had the UGL and has been to every conflict since the introduction of the UGL.

Hope this helps

Archived