MAGPUL PTS ACR & MAGPUL PTS/A&K Sportsline Masada

uscmCorps

USCMCorps.. Heres a link to an article from Army Times from July about the M4 and possible replacement. http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/07/army_carbine_070609w/

The next competition

For now, the Army is planning to begin a competition in October that could produce a new carbine by sometime in 2012, but there are no guarantees, weapons officials maintain.

Before that can happen, the Army’s updated carbine requirement — the document that lays out what the service wants in the future weapon — still has to clear the senior Army leadership and win joint approval, he said.

If that happens, the Army plans to release a draft request for proposal to the small-arms industry in October and a formal RFP early next year, weapons officials maintain.

The first round of testing will likely begin late next summer and last though summer 2011.

Once a weapon is selected in late fiscal 2011, weapons officials hope to have operational testing and a full rate-production decision by late summer in 2012, Tamilio said.

Also for those interested on more info on the real ACR ... http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/acr.htm

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Entire CNC'ed upper receiver from a block of 6061 Aluminum Billet (not from a casting!). The upper receiver obvious continues into the top rail giving an uninterrupted top Picatinny rail. The CNC'ing was gorgeous and flawless.

Have you got proof that it is machined from solid billet, Ie photos showing each machine process from the solid billet to the end result and/or a video of it being machined?

I'm quite skeptical about it actually being machined from solid billet these days, everyone claims that their products are CNC machined (JG G3 RIS anyone, that is 'claimed' to be CNC machined but clearly isn't, or half of the other RIS kits) but quite often they are not and with CNC machining being a very machine intensive process with a huge amount of waste I'm not convinced that the upper is going to be machined from a solid billet and the rifle being sold so cheap....

Thanks Fireman!

Have you got proof that it is machined from solid billet, Ie photos showing each machine process from the solid billet to the end result and/or a video of it being machined?

I'm quite skeptical about it actually being machined from solid billet these days, everyone claims that their products are CNC machined (JG G3 RIS anyone, that is 'claimed' to be CNC machined but clearly isn't, or half of the other RIS kits) but quite often they are not and with CNC machining being a very machine intensive process with a huge amount of waste I'm not convinced that the upper is going to be machined from a solid billet and the rifle being sold so cheap....

Well I wasn't at the factory if that's what you're asking. I was pretty shocked myself when he said it, and I repeated the statement to him, word for word, to ensure that I heard him right. I'll ask him to provide "photographic proof" (preferably video proof with time lapse). I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

If they manage to make a decent GBB system for this i might even be tempted to part with my M4 as it will offer functionality over all other AEG out there at the moment. It's a bit of an IF though as gbb systems are evidently not easy to make seeing as of the 3 major systems only one is really skirmishable OOTB with green gas.

usmcCorps - since you've already written up a piece on the FMG9 can you at least tell us which glocks it uses, TM or KSC? or even if it's got a glock upper in it already? Some of us gotta know if we need to save up for another glock you know :P

I find it odd the ACR dosent come with MBUS. (Real and airsoft) Seems like they'd fit the gun more. Must be due to cost maybe?

Why does Costa get to shoot so many cool guns. So unfair.

well Magpul themselves have said from the Beginning that the MBUS was meant to be a budget BUIS, not high end like Troy, Larue ect. they said if you have a Troy/Larue BUIS already there is no reason to switch.

And Costa is the Chosen One, he can do what ever the heck he wants :P .

I find it odd the ACR dosent come with MBUS. (Real and airsoft) Seems like they'd fit the gun more. Must be due to cost maybe?

Why does Costa get to shoot so many cool guns. So unfair.

ARMS is suing Magpul over copyright infringement which has put the MBUS on hold.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&...24&t=179232

The Benefits of being a Magpul Employee is why Costa gets to do what he does, plus the "Industry" is tripping over themselves to give him new swag for him to beat up on and give feed back to the OEMs. The good life I say,,,

usmcCorps - since you've already written up a piece on the FMG9 can you at least tell us which glocks it uses, TM or KSC? or even if it's got a glock upper in it already? Some of us gotta know if we need to save up for another glock you know :P

I really want to tell you guys about it but can't right now. Soon though, very soon. I will simply leave you with this : IT'S AWESOME!!! :o:)

ARMS is suing Magpul over copyright infringement which has put the MBUS on hold.

Who isn't ARMS suing!?!! Regardless, I do seem to recall that the PTS ACR will ship with a rear color matched MBUS. That may change of course ... but I doubt it.

barnezilla : I actually expected to see more SCARs than Masadas. :D

Question: Will the PTS ACR come with the handguard as pictured at the top of this page (the skeletonized one with removable rails) or the one posted on the last page (The RAS handguard without removable rails)?

Neither. The last time I checked, the ACR will come with the Polymer handguard. The metal handguard will be available as an optional accessory. Personally I prefer the Polymer one as the metal one makes it look a little too much like a SCAR for my taste. All of this is subject to change of course. *

* Edit: The details of the ACR are subject to change. My opinion of the Polymer vs metal handguard is NOT subject to change. :P

Neither. The last time I checked, the ACR will come with the Polymer handguard. The metal handguard will be available as an optional accessory. Personally I prefer the Polymer one as the metal one makes it look a little too much like a SCAR for my taste. All of this is subject to change of course. *

* Edit: The details of the ACR are subject to change. My opinion of the Polymer vs metal handguard is NOT subject to change. :P

Sorry, I meant, what will the metal one look like? Will it be like the one on the top of this page...

Or like this:

acr-header.jpg

Though I probably prefer the polymer one too. Can't wait to see exactly what it'll look like in the final iteration (after all the other changes are made too)

Sorry, but am I the only one that finds it hard to believe that after spending what, years? on an AEG, making it the best they possibly can, with so many customisation options, like stocks, barrels, handgaurds, even internals (AEG and GBB), that coming up with some feeble excuse about TM compatible AK mags just smells a bit... weak?

Seriously, how hard is it to make a TM compatible AK mag fit? For christ sake, its got to be one of the most simple systems out there. Little lip on the front for it to hook onto, then a spring-loaded catch to hold it in place. Even more simple than an armalite, for christs sake, as all of the parts are external.

IN MY OPINION i think they'll lose a lot of custom by *having* to use proprietary mags.

And think how many regular AK users would love PMAGs! they'd be perfect for the PMC/Contractor look.

Sorry, but am I the only one that finds it hard to believe that after spending what, years? on an AEG, making it the best they possibly can, with so many customisation options, like stocks, barrels, handgaurds, even internals (AEG and GBB), that coming up with some feeble excuse about TM compatible AK mags just smells a bit... weak?

Seriously, how hard is it to make a TM compatible AK mag fit? For christ sake, its got to be one of the most simple systems out there. Little lip on the front for it to hook onto, then a spring-loaded catch to hold it in place. Even more simple than an armalite, for christs sake, as all of the parts are external.

IN MY OPINION i think they'll lose a lot of custom by *having* to use proprietary mags.

And think how many regular AK users would love PMAGs! they'd be perfect for the PMC/Contractor look.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. It's partly to do with relative positions of the BB openings between AK and AR mags. But like I said, there's a lot more to it. It'll be evident once it comes out. But if you figure out a way to make regular mags work with the design please do share it.

Archived