Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping this :)

I've finally got my batteries...

When I turn my radio on it says: "open radio" followed by the number of the channel that the radio is set to when I turn it on.

When I change channel it pronounces the channel number in correct english, does your ones do that too?

About the programming cable, couldnt someone of you guys with cables, spare 5-10 min with a multimeter and write down how the cable is built?

Just check what the pin No 0-8 on the serial connector is connected to on the USB cable?

It would be great :)

And the only way for us with wrong programmed radios out there, since there are no cables to be found anywhere :(

/ Patrik

About the programming cable, couldnt someone of you guys with cables, spare 5-10 min with a multimeter and write down how the cable is built?

Just check what the pin No 0-8 on the serial connector is connected to on the USB cable?

/ Patrik

Maybe Hartmann can lend you the programming cable so you could test it with the multimeter and build your own?

• 2 weeks later...

The scramble option is programmable feature but the radio is not a genuine Kenwood and so that function, although selectable, may not do anything. There are many on this thread who are now very experienced such as Hartmann- perhaps they have already tested the scramble facility? I have not been able to spend anytime on theses radios since I bought them.

So you can scan/listen to the radio but cant talk to it? blink.gif I'm still trying to find somewhere that stocks the cable so I can programe it or find someone in the UK that can do it for me. Would be good if the scramble option worked as some games I find the enermy listening in on my comms the swines lol

So you can scan/listen to the radio but cant talk to it? blink.gif I'm still trying to find somewhere that stocks the cable so I can programe it or find someone in the UK that can do it for me. Would be good if the scramble option worked as some games I find the enermy listening in on my comms the swines lol

I can scan/listen/talk on the clone PRR channels with the UHF radio. Nobody has the cable, the best bet would be to get the Kenwood programming cable and figure out how to adapt it to the clone PRR.

We are all in the same position...

I've got the radio, I've got the correct batteries, I've got the software needed, I've got a kenwood --> USB cable.

So... I have to either do an adaptor between the radio and the kenwood contact.

I dont know what contacts on the radio that should be hooked up with the USB cable though.

If someone with a cable could take a multimeter and check that it wouldnt be a problem.

I've tryed to contact Ebairsoft, Px-airsoft and ask them about cables, but it seems impossible to get your hands on a cable :(

PX-airsoft has ONE, but need it for programming radios, so I could send the radio to them... it would probably cost more than the radio though.

Atm I'm thinking of buying a Puxing or similar... and throw the marconi away :(

I that after you have programed the radio?

If I understood you correctly -- the UHF radio, yes, you don't have to touch prr clones for that.

I've got the radio, I've got the correct batteries, I've got the software needed, I've got a kenwood --> USB cable.

I dont know what contacts on the radio that should be hooked up with the USB cable though.

If you've gotten that far, why won't you just open the radio, I'm sure that out of the side contacts there're only few which are actually soldered to anything. Maybe you can figure them out by trial and error.

You won't have the sexy remote PTT with Puxing tho. :) I like the non-proprietary batteries of the clone PRR better as well, the spare Puxing battery will set you $25-$30 back, while you can have a set of rechargeables for prr clone for $6.

If I understood you correctly -- the UHF radio, yes, you don't have to touch prr clones for that.

If you've gotten that far, why won't you just open the radio, I'm sure that out of the side contacts there're only few which are actually soldered to anything. Maybe you can figure them out by trial and error. You won't have the sexy remote PTT with Puxing tho. :) I like the non-proprietary batteries of the clone PRR better as well, the spare Puxing battery will set you $25-$30 back, while you can have a set of rechargeables for prr clone for $6.

True true... I'm trying right now, but I cant find a way in to the radio, its one piece moulded togehter, so I cant really get into the radio without breaking it :(

Ill see if I can find any pictures on the PRC68.com site... And just try, try try I guess...

Soooo close...

Regards Patrik

We are all in the same position...

If someone with a cable could take a multimeter and check that it wouldnt be a problem.

I've tryed to contact Ebairsoft, Px-airsoft and ask them about cables, but it seems impossible to get your hands on a cable :(

PX-airsoft has ONE, but need it for programming radios, so I could send the radio to them... it would probably cost more than the radio though.

Do you know if these radios can be programmed for the US FRS channels?

Do you know if these radios can be programmed for the US FRS channels?

Totally, but there are two issues: finding the programming cable and legality of using the radio with removable antenna and power over 0.5W on the FRS freq. I haven't looked into US FRS regulations lately, but the latter was illegal a while ago.

Totally, but there are two issues: finding the programming cable and legality of using the radio with removable antenna and power over 0.5W on the FRS freq. I haven't looked into US FRS regulations lately, but the latter was illegal a while ago.

I guess you would also have to find the software too, unless It's comes with the software?

Will do, anyone know where to get the LEMO (from headset to ptt) connector from?

I don't think they're freely available. My thoughts were to use the simple adapter from the kenwood 2-pin plug, but on the other end put the alligator clips so we could open the radio and plug them where they need to be.

I don't think they're freely available. My thoughts were to use the simple adapter from the kenwood 2-pin plug, but on the other end put the alligator clips so we could open the radio and plug them where they need to be.

Not so keen on cutting the radio open as it is sealed closed. Idea i had was to get a PTT unit of ebay and use either original or ebay one as the program cable ptt.

Archived