Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

No :( Range is too short to operate PTT placed on the gun. 0.5m was in wide open - nothing between button and radio (for example, no hand pusshing button like it was on the gun) :-/

Signal is to weak or something is wrong with radio/wireptt ? I need someone to compare mine :-/

Ok. I have two of these radios bought from two different vendors at different times. Both remote PTTs work flawlessly when operated from my rifle. Have you tried changing the battery? A weak battery will have an effect on range.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. I have two of these radios bought from two different vendors at different times. Both remote PTTs work flawlessly when operated from my rifle. Have you tried changing the battery? A weak battery will have an effect on range.

Yep. Tryed, and checked voltage on newone.

I'm starting to worry,... mybe my is broken ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so are these radios worth getting? I have one at the moment but have no others to test with and dont want to waste any more money than I have too

Hi.

i've bought two of them and both was problems :(

one with wireless ptt button range

second with range itself (antena problems ?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe, some of this informaion will be useful:

LEMO pins

Bowman headset 2 Kenwood Radio throw PTT-button

Kenwood equipment connections

USB or COM programming cable for Kenwood TK-2207 can be found on ebay. It's name - KPG-22. For example.

Idea:

1. Buy KPG-22

2. Cut Kenwood-style connector

3. Plug cutted programming cable to marconi replica and computer

4. Try to programm it

Can anybody, who have PRR replica, check it and make a report?

But i still haven't any ideas about connecting scheme LEMO on PRR with cutted wires from KPG-22.

If somebody have - let me kow, please.

Problem is, the cable isnt just a dumb cable with each wire from usb going to some wire on the radio. The wire itself has some components. My guess would be, theres somekinda simple microcontroller in there.

edit: I just ordered some chinese-copy-Kenwood programming cable and a couple of LEMO connectors. Ill see if I can get anything done with them.

Hi,

i will do the same and i will share my results.

Plese let me know where did you got the LEMOs.

Meanwhile i know there is someone here which was able to find an original programming cable and i would like to know from him if there is any procedure (like press "this" an power on aetc.) to be done in order to put the radio in programming mode. Please reply at least to this question.

As an alternative, i'll pay you 200 Euro for the cable.

Ciao

Federico

ok, since I have one of the programming cables, i will take pictures of what you will need.

Also, if you can give me an excact explanation of what needs to be tested by an "certified" electrician i will head over to my Buddy and ask him if he can help.

Since these seem to be pretty rare I will not do anything that might destroy the cable....understandable, aye ?

@Frederico:

Actually you just attach the programming cable which looks just like an PTT Unit with an cable coming out from where the headset goes to your Pc, using the serial port and turn on the radio

You then start a software, read the configuration from the radio, edit that and write the new configuration to the radio.

Matter of minutes if you have a list of the needed frequencies. Personally I did not configure any of the advanced feature like fleet control, squelch etc.

Mainly because I lack the understanding of radio technology..

anyway..

I would rather use this thread, for further reference also then to get loads of PNs now...

ok, since I have one of the programming cables, i will take pictures of what you will need.

Also, if you can give me an excact explanation of what needs to be tested by an "certified" electrician i will head over to my Buddy and ask him if he can help.

Since these seem to be pretty rare I will not do anything that might destroy the cable....understandable, aye ?

@Frederico:

Actually you just attach the programming cable which looks just like an PTT Unit with an cable coming out from where the headset goes to your Pc, using the serial port and turn on the radio

You then start a software, read the configuration from the radio, edit that and write the new configuration to the radio.

Matter of minutes if you have a list of the needed frequencies. Personally I did not configure any of the advanced feature like fleet control, squelch etc.

Mainly because I lack the understanding of radio technology..

anyway..

I would rather use this thread, for further reference also then to get loads of PNs now...

Ciao,

you are the first "ray of light" after one year of dark !

Joke apart, just to start it can be very interesting to understand which are the pins used for the communication and this can be done in two ways:

1st. from the db9 connector to the plate checking if there is a direct connection (very low chance)

2nd. disasselmbling the cable form the "plate" side (not the db9) and trying the same.

In fact if we will be able to find where the RS232 is connected to then will be easier to try to connect the "kenwood" cable.

Silly bu necessary question: is the radio powered on whe you connect it to the pc ?

Thank you very much for your help and time !

Federico

p.s.: where did you found that cable ?

If you Google for KPG-22 (which is the Kenwood programming cable) schematic, you will find several different schematics using both discrete components and integrated circuits. My guess is, the original Kenwood cable uses the MAX232 chip (as does about 95% of serial port attached cables for any purpose anyway). So, direct connection is a no. What's more intresting though, is the picture posted by ernesto, showing the LEMO - thru PTT unit - to radio itself is a semi-direct connection. So, there us a very good chance for succesfully building a KPG-22 - LEMO adapter using only connectors and wires, no active components.

I ordered the LEMO connectors and KPG-22 replica from eBay, where else ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360224722442

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110616141733

Haven't received anything yet, though.

If you Google for KPG-22 (which is the Kenwood programming cable) schematic, you will find several different schematics using both discrete components and integrated circuits. My guess is, the original Kenwood cable uses the MAX232 chip (as does about 95% of serial port attached cables for any purpose anyway). So, direct connection is a no. What's more intresting though, is the picture posted by ernesto, showing the LEMO - thru PTT unit - to radio itself is a semi-direct connection. So, there us a very good chance for succesfully building a KPG-22 - LEMO adapter using only connectors and wires, no active components.

I ordered the LEMO connectors and KPG-22 replica from eBay, where else ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360224722442

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110616141733

Haven't received anything yet, though.

Hi,

i am pretty sure too that non direct connection is present because 99.9% there will be a MX232-like IC for the RS232/TTL levelling.

What i am assuming is that in the original cable the 232/TTL componentes are inside the module so we "only" need to understand which pins are involved in the connection to the radio.

If this is the case then weare right, a LEMO connector and some plug adapters to the KPG-22 will solve definitely our problems.

I ask anyway to our German friend HGButtentee to take as much pictures as possible (also macro pictures) so mybe we can recognize some things.

I bought a KPG-22 too, now i am looking for LEMO connectors at a good price (found nothing belo 35 Euro / Piece !!!!).

Any idea ?

Ciao

Federico

ok now,

here is some close ups I took this morning.

As far as I can see this is a direct connection. Now active parts to be found within the cable...

see for yourself

post-66990-0-46100600-1299137354_thumb.jpg

post-66990-0-59531800-1299137386_thumb.jpg

post-66990-0-40788800-1299137399_thumb.jpg

No Elco or else to be found...

an experienced Electrician should be able to build one i guess..

For those of u that lack the skill

Seeing and understandig how this can Su%& to have this radio and not beiing able to use it..

I will programm them for you...send me a message and I guess we will be able to make something up

If you look at the picture at PX-Airsoft webshop (http://www.px-airsoft.com/showroom/model/largepic.jsp?p=../user/1213907847691/gallery/b_1264966285234012953.jpg), note the large-ish size of the D9 connector. There's certainly something in there.

Also, looking at HGButtentee's pictures, Im guessing the manufacturer just took the cheapest possible KPG-22 he could find, cut the wire and soldered it (badly) to a stripped PTT unit. If you look at the quality of workmanship on those pictures, its very home-made, not professional looking.

Our last problem in solving this might be the "extra" components we have inside the real PTT unit messing up the signal. I reckon its a small chance, but still possible. Now I just need the parts I ordered, dammit!

GButtentee i will never end to thank you for your help !

From the picture you sent i can understand that:

4 wires used, which means 99% TX Data, RX Data, Ground and +VCC to feed power to the active cable.

ICs are presumable inside the DB9 connector

This is a picture of a KPG-22 which is showing all the signals:

post-68509-0-04066600-1299146399_thumb.gif

From your inside picture my guess will be:

Pin 9 - Gnd

Pin 10 - + VCC to the cable (if necessary)

Pin 11 - TX o RX data (to be tested)

PIN 2 - TX or RX data (to be tested)

My i ask to have a complete picture of the board of the same side of the pic. named VERBINDUNG.JPG ?

We are so close to the solution !

Last question: had you " a hard time" to disassemble the cable ? Was it glued ?

Thank you again

Federico

Archived