Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

Wow, as I see you did it with the regular module and the regular plug. Great job! That prevents in unscrewing the scrambler module all the time...

Could you be so kind and share a pin connection guide line here? Thanx alot in advance!

I'm sorry, but it work with the soldering is no easy. I had to find a solution.

For the manufacture of this cable need will to resolder each PTT (knob) module.

But the result is justified.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made USB programming cable ^_^ .

Work perfect.

19685787i.jpg

I can made more,questions in PM.

How about opening the plug of the programming cable and make a picture of the soldering. Thank you. You could also ask the one who has made it to give you a layout sketch of the wiring and connections. Thank you!

Hello!

I want to also brag that I made the cable. And also tell you how it's done!

1. Take the KPG-22 programming cable, and open it. Then consider which contacts are connected and where and what chip (MAX 232 or MAX 202 principle the not important), the main thing to look pinout.

post-72965-0-18635800-1319480734_thumb.jpg

2. Cut the plug "Kenwood type" and clean the contacts for soldering. Black-ground, white-Transmit data "Txd", Red-Read data "Rxd" and Green-Voltage +5 v for open chip. Can be red is Vcc+, and green reading Rxd.

3. Take a portable radio, "Marconi" screw off the side of a block of PTT.

A. Carefully reveal it in the seam glue, please be careful not to tear the ribbon cable that is connected to the contact pad 12 contacts. I scratched with a knife with glue and slowly opened it. Then I looked at exposing any contacts correspond to the contact panel.

post-72965-0-43433300-1319480766_thumb.jpg

B. You can order a unit of PTT separately and do so as specified in paragraph A.

4. Then connect the contacts as shown. 9-ground, 10-Vcc +, 11-Rxd, 2-Txd.

5. Glue it all back, fasten to the body.

1We connect to a com port

2 includes a radio,

3 Run the KPG-87D,

4 selectable TK-3207 Frequency 440-480 Mhz,

5 Read from the radio.

6 You are HAPPY!

IT'S NOT FOR RENT OR SALE.

it is a great, but how you resolder PTT module to use Lemo plug in prog cable?

this scheme is correct but you need resolder wiring any times when you reprogramming PRR.....

otherwise you need additional PTT module (where can I buy it? - original PTT module cost so expensive on ebay)

This is to ways - 1st resolder to use Lemo plug 2nd install additional plug.

Look at the picture "CONNECT" (2pic), if you look closely, there is no LEMO conn. It cut off.

I said, connect to the pins that come on the radio, or buy a new PTT unit and make it.

Ok. Well, at the bottom of the block, where there should be a dual PTT, make any connector 4-pin.

Or solder contacts on the radio itself, the side where 12-pin, to 2, 9, 10, 11.

Look at the picture "CONNECT" (2pic), if you look closely, there is no LEMO conn. It cut off.

I said, connect to the pins that come on the radio, or buy a new PTT unit and make it.

Ok. Well, at the bottom of the block, where there should be a dual PTT, make any connector 4-pin.

Or solder contacts on the radio itself, the side where 12-pin, to 2, 9, 10, 11.

Thanks a lot mate.

Do you have latest version of KPG-87D ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couldn't edit my previous post hense the new one....

Got the radio today and i tried it with the 3,y volt batteries i had at hand.

The radio transmits, voice saying " open radio, 1"( chosen channel ) followed by a Chinese voice that makes no sense.

After that the PRR stops transmitting....

Is this a result of me using 3,6 volts, or should i dö something to make it go away?

Couldn't find anything bout this issue in the thread...

Regards from Sweden....

I was as keen as Mustard to buy one of these radios when they were first released & then i found out that they were the wrong frequency for the UK. The more i read this thread the more i realised that the tech support isn't there.I realise that a UK version has been released but until a programming cable is widely available i'm not touching the radios.Shame really because they look great.

Sure, i was quite sceptical to make this purchase, but i got a sweet deal buying it used so i thought i'll give it a try....

And if some have managed to re-program it for 446mhz i'm sure it can be done.

That, and the fact it fits my impression like a glove made me go for it....

Haven't had any second thoughts... Yet....

• 2 weeks later...

Filip79: I did it that way.

Just unscrew the PTT module from the radio, cut the KPG22 cable and strip the wires.

The just attach the wires to the pins on the radio according to the info in this thread.

I didn´t used the KPG22 but another programming cable ( for FDC-450A ) but it should work just as good with the KPG22.

Hi (again) guys!

I managed to program the thing to PMR ( 446Mhz ) and it transmits....

Problem is that it "bleeds" over to the nearby channels, if the PRR is on PMR 1 and my FDC 450 is on PMR 2 i get white noise and sometimes hear the transmission on the FDC.

I´m not sure if i got the settings correct when i reprogrammed the PMR, anyone got a pre made file for PMR?

Anyone had the same issue and maybe a solution?

Archived