Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

Hey,

very good! Thank you for the try, because to me the stickers on the remote PTT looked like "transparent", so I did not expect screws underneath... very cool. (very brave though) :D

Well the mystery is that the website is not working and writing to the eMail address produces no answers... :rolleyes:

BBStriker still owes us a programming file for the radios. :( He praised eBaybanned and the radio so much, but until now neither answered this enquiry for help nor my PN message...but he is still around here... weird... :huh:

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bbstriker, @Hartmann -- I've sent you guys messages (PMs and e-mails thru the forum), could you please reply to them if you received them or post here if you didn't?

thanks!

I replied today, sorry for the delay...

@ALL: Is there ANYONE that has made some progression on the PRR Radios yet? Really need help and especially need the "correct" PMR programming file! :geek:

The other chinese radios I've had experience with could be programmed for output power. I'll confirm if this can when I receive the programming cable.

Strictly speaking, since these have have removable antennae, they can't be legally used on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

! I'm more worried about power output than a technicality like a removable antenna, that is very good news. Thank you, if you could be so kind as to keep me posted on whether the power output is adjustable that would be most appreciated.

The Bowman replica is a TK3207 Copy. According to the original Kenwood Service Manual of the TK3207 it has a switchable output of "Low" = 1W and "High" of 4W... so that should answer the question if its legal... it is not legal in Germany either...

STOP

I have another problem: Thanx to Stan-O and Hagebuttentee I was able to get Programming files for trial and error tweaking and I was successful in setting one of three replicas from our team to work with my Moto GP1200 and an ALAN 456 on PMR...

The first part of the problem is that despite the fact that I wrote the identical programming file to all of them, only one of them works... worked to be exact because the second part of the problem is that the next day it seemed that the programming was lost and the one that initially worked - did not work anymore...

Any thoughts?

Actually I was mistaken -- looks like even at 5W, after being properly reprogrammed, those replicas fit the GMRS radio specs so to operate them in US all you need to do is just apply (online, no test) for a license from FCC: http://goo.gl/Xue1.

AFAIK, in Canada you can operate them without license if the output is limited to 2W on the GMRS channels and 0.5W on the FRS-shared channels.

With all my hate to you have to admit buyed 2 of these, now the batteries; from the following:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.400~search.lithium

what is the most recomendable pack?? need 4 batteries going and would like them to last as much as possible, so let me know and light my negligence with your knowledge please because the 14500 lithium listed seem to have little juice for a weekend in my mind...

With all my hate to you have to admit buyed 2 of these, now the batteries; from the following:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.400~search.lithium

what is the most recomendable pack?? need 4 batteries going and would like them to last as much as possible, so let me know and light my negligence with your knowledge please because the 14500 lithium listed seem to have little juice for a weekend in my mind...

You will find all the hints wihtin this thread. All the facts have been said. To find the LS14500 batteries, just "google"... ;)

Example: http://www.amazon.de/Saft-Batterie-Lithium-LS-14500/dp/B000NPIOIM

• 2 weeks later...

Well... actually... YES! :D

With help of this forum's user "Hagebuttentee" I was able to reveal WHAT the PROBLEM of the radios REALLY was... FINALLY... I can announce a solution here. ^_^

The problem that caused all the fuzz to me was the "tiny" difference between voltage of standard batteries and rechargeable batteries. I was fooled by the manual that lists the power source just as "Standard Li-Ion Battery 14500" ... Therefore I wanted to test the functionality with less expense of money and bought some standard LS14500 batteries with 3.6V... :(

BUT this voltage is too low for the replicas to operate correctly. I had one working for a few minutes and than it was over. Trustfire or Ultrafire Li-Ion rechargeable batteries however come with 3.6V and 3.7V that are chargeable up to 4.2V each. So as soon as I used rechargeable batteries with the replicas, they worked! With all the previous program data files I already wrote to them for good already. :rolleyes:

Okay, in short terms: DONT USE BATTERIES WITH 3.6V because they dont have enough power! USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES WITH 3.7V and 900mAh! :excl:

This revelation did cost a lot of money and precious spare time but also rewarded me (to be positive) with some new contacts around the world and the help and acquaintance of a German airsoft fellow. ;)

So everything is good... now. :rolleyes:

So... anyone wants to sell me their programming cable? :)

Ummm... no Sir, I can't do that... Need the cable for the team, we have 6 PRRs.

I could rent one :D Programm the radio, and send it back :)

Out of stock at px-airsoft.. haven't found them anywhere else...

Great news about the batteries!

But what kind of battery are you using?

Would this one work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26124

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

The first Link are 14500 batteries... yes they will do, they have 3.7v

The second link however are the wrong type of batteries! They are Model 18650 batteries which have the wrong size. All the model numbers are indication of the size of batteries.

See this picture for comparison:

post-35108-12724474919208_thumb.jpeg

I recommend these: eBay Link

Here in germany I have ordered this, which seems to me the best price/value combination: eBay Link

This retailer sends throughout Europe, so maybe you might be interested...

Well, I've got the batteries for the PRR clone from dealextreme, these are the ones I've got: http://goo.gl/7SWD however these: http://goo.gl/fFJk should work just as well.

PS. Europe is pretty far away to make shipping stuff back and forth worth a while, but if you're in USA or Canada and have a programming cable but can't program your radio yourself, I'd gladly program it for you if you cover the shipping both ways. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Radio today!

Yay!

Any news about the programming cable?

Could someone program the radio for me, if I pay the shipping costs? (Got to see what it costs first though...)

Or has anyone got a programming cable that I could "hire" to reprogram the radio myself?

Or are there some kind of circuit-scheme out there? It cant be that hard to build a cable?

Regards Patrik

got 2 of these radios and wish id just set fire to the 120 quid it would have been less painfull. if and when they work they range from just bad to totaly unuseable. one has 15 channels the other 16. on one only one side of the 2 side mike appears to work. one every now and then just starts chopping during transmition to the point its like sticking you head next to a 2 stroke bike engine. one of the wireless ptts is unuseable due to the modulation it induces to the transmition. they are very battery fussy but most of you guys know that and even with fully charged lithiums they are unuseable. ive since bought a genuine issue radio body of fleabay and im going to break my copy up for spare parts. buy at you perill!!!!!!!

Archived