Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone who has the programming cable, post detailed photos including the pins and were they attach to the radio?

I'll most likely buy the cable from a store if i cant find a way to rig something.

We all have the same problem....

I've got the kenwood cable stripped and so, but still can't figure out where to connect them on the radio :(

Regards Patrik

Sooner or later, we will find something.

Has anyone looked at thru which leads the Kenwood programming cable works -- thru the same as the headset or are they using different parts of the plug than the headset? If they're same as the headset, the following might be helpful.

I took the side-plate off and if you number the plugs on it clock-wise with the 1 being the plug at the notch, they go to these leads:

1 --> 4

2 --> 9

3 --> 9

4 --> 8

5 --> 11

Now I understand there might be a reason the company which made the programming cable released it with its own side-plate since it might have been needed to connect to some other leads, but since it's a Kenwood clone and if usually clones use the same leads we can just mathematically find the correct connection as we only need to use some combination of pins 4, 8, 9 and 11 on the radio.

Also, there's a piece of rubber which is covering the pins on the radio itself, if you remove that rubber cover you will expose easier connections to pins. BTW, how many leads are there going from the USB stick on the Kenwood programming cable?

One more thing -- I realize nobody wants to crack the cover on their expensive radio, but maybe we should set up the fund for one of us to order a new set and crack open an existing radio. If 10 more people chipped in 10 bucks each that would be enough. Or if 2 more people chipped in $35 each that would be enough too.

Anyone else wants to join in on the fun? Should I set up paypal donations collection fund?

I've connected RED cable with contact 4, BLACK to contact 9 and WHITE to contact 8.

When I plugged it into the computer it started to install some Serial to USB Drivers, but after that nothing..

What mode should the radio be set to?

Should it be turned on? Any special channel?

Any ideas? :)

Best Regards Patrik

I've connected RED cable with contact 4, BLACK to contact 9 and WHITE to contact 8.

When I plugged it into the computer it started to install some Serial to USB Drivers, but after that nothing..

What mode should the radio be set to?

Should it be turned on? Any special channel?

Any ideas? smile.gif

Best Regards Patrik

Hi,

i have the same problem as all here in this thread and basing on my experience with other radios normally there should be a sequence to activate a programming mode, someting like "keep ptt pressed then power on the radio keeping it pressed untill you hear some beeps".

Once the radio is in programming mode then try to connect with the software to download the actual parameters and if this works all is done !

Another idea came to my mind looking at the original cable picture: maybe there is a bridge to be made somewhere in the pins to activate the prog. mode: i have read somewhere in the thread that someone had been so lucky to buy an original programming cable, maybe he (or her) can help all of us......

If you will do some trials please post your results, maybe we will find the right way.

Thank you a lot !

Federico

P.S.: which cable did you bought ?

I can't find any mention of it on the forums but I've just spotted a photo on RSOV's front page for a Vanaras 446Mhz PRR. Fingers crossed.

vns_ppr.jpg

RSOV front page

I've posted this in the news section also.

Sorry but this is something different fro what all we have, description follows:

'Vanaras' 446MHz Personal Role Radio (PRR)

• Factory preset 446MHz of 16 frequency channels (channel 1-8 in standard PMR channel frequency)
  • Transmission power <500 mw
  • 7-step volume control with 'OFF'
  • Easy to use and low power consumption