Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might have a problem here. Looking at these photos again, see on ernesto's one how the LEMO is connected to the circuit board http://g.io.ua/img_aa/large/1710/95/17109585.jpg. Then comparing it to HGButtentee's photo of the board http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=45247

Look at the white wire going to the second highest solder spot on the circuit board. Looking at the real PTT unit with LEMO, there is no connection from LEMO to that spot. This might make it impossible to program the thing thru the LEMO.

HGButtentee, would it be possible for you to take a look under the white sticker (saying "MAXTON" and some numbers) seen on the picture of the DB9 connector circuit board? I would be intrested in knowing the text on the board itself. And also, could you bend the wires a bit, so we could confirm the wires soldering points on the board also. Looking at the picture, its not 100% clear where the red, white, green and black wires actually go on the board.

Also, if you have a multimeter, if you could check the wires going into the "PTT" unit, where do they actually connect on the side plate of the unit. You know, the golden connection points. Im thinking, if this cant be done thru the LEMO, it might be possible to program the damn thing stripping open the KPG-22 cable and attaching the wires directly to the radio itself using tape or glue or something and then just rip them off when the programming is done. Brutal, but it looks like this is where its going.

Ok, this is where Im so far: I tore my PTT unit apart and confirmed that the numbers shown on the circuit board inside match the numbers shown on both outside of the PTT unit as well as the numbers that can be seen on the radio if you remove the rubber cover surrounding the contact points. Im 99% sure that pin9 (the black wire on the photos) is ground. Pins 2 and 11 are send and receive, but I cannot confirm which is which. This is all thats needed to program the Kenwood radio, however, Ive had no luck with this piece of junk. Ive fiddled with the wires and different com port settings, but I just cant get any life in this.

It must be that mysterious fourth wire in there (shown red on HG's photos) that has something to do with this all. Its the vcc line, which is missing on my programming cable.

Basically, Im giving up on this. Ive tried everything I can with the stuff I have here.

edit: I could order a KPG-4 cable, which is supposed to have that vcc line included and give this another try with that..

Thanks, HG!

From your inside picture my guess will be:

Pin 9 - Gnd

Pin 10 - + VCC to the cable (if necessary)

Pin 11 - TX o RX data (to be tested)

PIN 2 - TX or RX data (to be tested)

So, this is now confirmed. The pin numbers match the pin numbers shown on the side of the radio unit.

I just had another idea.. I could just take +5Vcc from my PC PSU, maybe put a 1kohm resistor there and use that for the Vcc line into radio ;)

edit: oh, forgot to mention.. Federico, if you look at the schematic you posted yourself, the Vcc line is "going into" the radio, not the other way around. The original voltage comes from DTR/DSR pin, its half-wave rectified on diode D3 and then goes past the 10uF elco. In the end there's the 5V zener diode to drop the voltage from 12V to 5V and from the zener the line goes straight into Vcc to radio.

Thanks, HG!

So, this is now confirmed. The pin numbers match the pin numbers shown on the side of the radio unit.

I just had another idea.. I could just take +5Vcc from my PC PSU, maybe put a 1kohm resistor there and use that for the Vcc line into radio ;)

edit: oh, forgot to mention.. Federico, if you look at the schematic you posted yourself, the Vcc line is "going into" the radio, not the other way around. The original voltage comes from DTR/DSR pin, its half-wave rectified on diode D3 and then goes past the 10uF elco. In the end there's the 5V zener diode to drop the voltage from 12V to 5V and from the zener the line goes straight into Vcc to radio.

Yes, you are right, vcc is going TO radio and not coming FROM radio.

About the VCC: with a simple 78L05 and a 9 V battery i thing all can be done.

Pay attention to the KPG-22 you bought (i will as well) because surfing on the web i fond some posts where people where saying Chinese KPGs where working for a while then suddenly stopping to work.

Because i cannot wait the cable i ordered i took out from my old project a ttl/232 converter box i did some years ago with a MAX232 and i am going to perform some test during the weekend.

Il will post the results as soon as i will end with my test.

AND: THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN TO HGBUTTENTEE !!!!!!!

Federico

I was just thinking one other possible problem I might be having. I have a an USB version of the KPG-22 with a driver needed for it. Cheap USB-RS232/TTL converters are not exactly known for their reliability. Adding a 64-bit OS to that, my problem may just as well be a crappy cable/driver.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking one other possible problem I might be having. I have a an USB version of the KPG-22 with a driver needed for it. Cheap USB-RS232/TTL converters are not exactly known for their reliability. Adding a 64-bit OS to that, my problem may just as well be a crappy cable/driver.

Hi,

first of all i am not disappeared but i had no chance to do the test i said because my MAX232 was completely dead.

I received the Lemo connectors and now i am waiting for the KPG-22 i ordered but it will take a while.

The other news is i "corrupted" one member of this thread :rolleyes: and i bought his cable + 1 replica and i had been able to program my own radio plus the new one.

Basing on how i did with the original cable i suggest you to do this way:

connect pins between radio and cable as we discussed above (try first connecting to the "springed" contacts on the radio by means of some spring-loaded connectors)

power on the radio

run the software

set the radio type to TK-3207 and 440-480 Mhz

try to directly read from the radio (don't forget to push ok on the dialog box, otherwise reading will not start).

If you don't have any readings try to write to the radio (remember, push ok!) lso if the file is blank, this will "clear" all the channels and settings.

If you succeed with writing than try to edit some channels and the write them again.

Do not try to test the connection using the tools---->radio information because also with the original cable there is no reply at all !!!:waggle:

A small note: if you want to write frequencies on the 433 band (pmr/lpd), while editing the freq. field you will receive every time a message like "frequency out of range". Simply press ok every time and you will se that figures will stay as edited (as far as i understood is just a warning).

That's all for now, i'll be back as soon as i will receive my KPG22.

Ciao

Federico

great job guys.

your photos really helped

I think soon will please the establishment of a cable esle Federico I did not overtake:)

P/s please give a link to a program going in the complete set to original cable, or better yet send to my email chegevarko^dog^mail.ru

maxton cable for 3207 foto http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/396445285/COMM_Programming_Cable_For_Kenwood_TK/showimage.html

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Brand new to this, but just have a question about the PRR ((Quick point to note, Prr's are not Bowman, Bowman's the name of the secure radio network system, which the UK PRC 343 PRR is not part of) Know this after 10 years service in the Army)

Why are people going on about re programming them? Are frequency's 440.050-440.800mhz not legal for personal use in the UK? Im thinking about getting one or two in the couple of hours, but Im thinking now, it it worth it?

Holmesy

tried trawling through 19 pages but got a headache halfway through!

Has anyone in the UK bought one?

How are they? and are they "usable" in the uk or do they need tuning/programming? if so how easy is that to achieve?

Sorry if these have been asked on behalf of UK players already but my head in pounding lol!

tried trawling through 19 pages but got a headache halfway through!

Has anyone in the UK bought one?

How are they? and are they "usable" in the uk or do they need tuning/programming? if so how easy is that to achieve?

Sorry if these have been asked on behalf of UK players already but my head in pounding lol!

I was thinking the same thing, as there seems to be a 2nd version, the 'Vanaras' 446MHz which appears to be on the right freq and power settings for the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing, as there seems to be a 2nd version, the 'Vanaras' 446MHz which appears to be on the right freq and power settings for the UK.

Anyone know where I can get said Vanaras PRR? RSOV are out of stock :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

i have just got 4 of these for my team ... and then found out that they are not usable in the uk with there default 440.+ dry.gif frequency. I have looked for a cable every were on the net. Is there the slimiest chance that some one could sell me a cable or tell me were to go to buy one. huh.gif

many thanks

Hi all,

i have just got 4 of these for my team ... and then found out that they are not usable in the uk with there default 440.+ dry.gif frequency. I have looked for a cable every were on the net. Is there the slimiest chance that some one could sell me a cable or tell me were to go to buy one. huh.gif

many thanks

it would be a good idea to read the thread first ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, as I see you did it with the regular module and the regular plug. Great job! That prevents in unscrewing the scrambler module all the time...

Could you be so kind and share a pin connection guide line here? Thanx alot in advance!

Archived