Replica: PRR (Personal Role Radio) Marconi, Full Set

KWP

Update: Got the software and cable from www.px-airsoft.com and BINGO: the mini-dvd was broken in half... okay, mailed them the problem and they send me the software directly via email, which has only about 4 MB... thats what I call good service!

Includes a SN and ist definitely a Kenwood Software for the KPG-87D... so someone else had the guess, here is the confirmation, that the internals of the PRR replica are based on the Kenwood.

Screenshot (from the Kenwood Site)

post-35108-1267180016_thumb.jpg

The software starts under Windows XP. Have had no time yet to test it with the PRR. Will do that tonite...

Ill keep you informed!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would someone take some detailed pictures of the replica PRR programming cable PTT? Inside and out?

Here is why. I own real Selex PRR radios and one of my dual PTTs broke. I need to replace the real PTT's body. The

electronics work inside but the green plastic body is cracked in several places. I want to buy a replica PTT and transplant

the real Selex electronics into it.

I don't know if this will work and was hoping that someone could take a few pictures of it, especially the inside, so I can see

if this will work.

I go through all of that or maybe someone has a real Selex dual PTT for sale? I can have any 2nd radio connector, as I will

be switching it to a Motorola HT750 connector.

Anyone?

I dont think this will work. The PRR replica is based on a Kenwood TK-2200. Programming and connection will be totally different from the real one. The only thing possible is that the Headsets might be interchangeable, because they both have the same plugs and number of pins and as they have the same functions (like mic 1,2 ground etc) they might be interchangeable.

Anyway, back to topic: I havent had the chance to test the programming software yet, neither getting the replicas working due to time reasons. The good thing is that the software runs on my PC emulation software "parallels" on my MacBook... yeah...

Tonight I will test the software with the Bowman replica... I promise... ;)

Another note: I had one of the two PRR replicas broken right from the beginning and contacted Paul from Ebaybanned and they do send me a replacement PRR replica FOR GOOD... I do not even have to send the broken one back in. I am really happy with this, since they did not have such a good service in the past. This time they showed a very generous behavior.

The replica bowman headset will work with a real PRR. I have used it on my real bowman. Works as if it were the real thing.

Paul from eBaybanned has also agreed to replace my PRR replica without any quibbles. I have had good service from eBaybanned for a long time now- they may not be perfect, but I will continue to buy kit from them for many years to come. I will also continue to recommend them.

I'm waiting for my replacement in the next few days.

Paul from eBaybanned has also agreed to replace my PRR replica without any quibbles. I have had good service from eBaybanned for a long time now- they may not be perfect, but I will continue to buy kit from them for many years to come. I will also continue to recommend them.

I think it depends on the amount of money you spend with them... as I reached beyond the 1000 USD mark the service is getting good... ;)

Hartman, I think you misunderstand.

I don't want to connect a bowman headset to anything. I would like to see some detailed pictures of the replica PTT (inside and out). I would like to use the green plastic housing (or case) on my real Selex PRR.

I will transplant all the real electronics into the replica PTT, not the body of the radio. All I need is to determine if the replica PTT will mate up to the real Selex radio body.

My real Selex PTT plastic housing is cracked in several places. I can not find another to purchase, so I will buy a replica PTT, throw away the inside electroncis and replace them with real Selex PTT electronics.

Hope that is more clear, sorry if I was not. Anyway someone could please take a few pictures of the replica PTT? I would like to see the inside of it, so opening up the back panel would be required. If it is glued, forget it and let me know. I don't want you to damage your property. The real Selex PTT's I own are not glued and just held together with pressure.

Thanks again.

Okay, sorry that I misunderstood it. I thought you wanted to just use the replica ptt unit with the real selex one... :)

I can tell you for sure: It IS GLUED... unfortunately... as I had the female plug broken (see the pictures above) I am sad that you cannot open the scrambler/ptt unit to fix the plug and exchange it for a real Lemo one...

Some News... Here is my SITREP:

Yesterday evening I made a small photo shooting with the PRR to show you some of the details and write a "mini review" about the radio. As I am lazy to write long texts, I let the pictures tell you the greater part...

(as I am paranoid, I retouched the Barcodes on the entire pictures of the radio... please dont mind...!) ;)

Contents of the Boxed Set

post-35108-1267700938_thumb.jpg

Function of the dip switches:

post-35108-1267700914_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700943_thumb.jpg

Details:

post-35108-1267700932_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700926_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700900_thumb.jpg

The scrambler / PTT unit CANNOT be opened, it is GLUED...! :(

post-35108-1267700860_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700836_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700825_thumb.jpg

2x Lithium AA Batteries are used. (LS14500, 3.6V) I use the batteries from the brand "SAFT". They have 2200 mAh.

Wireless Remote PTT with rubberband to be wrapped around your weapon:

post-35108-1267700893_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700879_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700866_thumb.jpg

I think it should be able to be opened, because there is a battery inside... have no clue how...

The pouch:

post-35108-1267700819_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700809_thumb.jpg

The original pre set frequencies:

post-35108-1267700801_thumb.jpg

Comparing the REAL Bowman headset with the replica one... It is (almost) the same in appearance, material and touch. Great work.

post-35108-1267700792_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700783_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700776_thumb.jpg

The programming cable (which is an optional extra you have to buy seperately)

post-35108-1267700711_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700698_thumb.jpg

The cable is available at www.px-airsoft.com

USB to Serial Adapter used for the programming cable (optional extra you have to buy seperately)

post-35108-1267700688_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700678_thumb.jpgpost-35108-1267700670_thumb.jpg

An alternative adapter to the BigTec #117 is the BigTec #112... both come with hardware drivers for XP, Vista...

Programming:

I got the software running on my PC XP Emulation Software "Parallels" on my MacBook Pro with a "BigTec USB to serial adapter", and I could read and write information from/onto the PRR. This works. But until now I have no clue to get rid of the chinglish voices that appear everytime you press one of the PTTs. This is really annoying. :angry:

Screenshot of the program:

post-35108-1267700663_thumb.jpg

After I wrote the new frequencies of the PMR range onto the radio all I get is a static noise on my Motorola GP1200 when I push the PTT. But no transmission is heard, just a static noise... <_<

Is anyone of you BEYOND that point..? :rolleyes:

I wrote to several shops that sell the replica if there is any information about a manual or something. PX-Airsoft replied very fast that they plan to make a demo video for the usage soon... yeah... :)

from my talks with frontiers i think it may be that channels 1-11 have additional digital coding meaning that they can be reprogrammed but will only be heard by another replica prr (they are marked with a * on the leaflet)

Try your transmition test with 13-16 and see if it works.?

BBstriker, my finances are in freefall atm so i have been delayed in mailing to you.

Hartman, great job.

Have you been taking in consideration that this radio is preprogramed to use something from squelsh open/close signals? Eg. sth from this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squelch

from my talks with frontiers i think it may be that channels 1-11 have additional digital coding meaning that they can be reprogrammed but will only be heard by another replica prr (they are marked with a * on the leaflet)

Try your transmition test with 13-16 and see if it works.?

BBstriker, my finances are in freefall atm so i have been delayed in mailing to you.

Have you all considered that it's using DCS instead of CTCSS?

To reply that comments (which are all aiming on the same topic) with one answer: YES, in the original programming these are Digitally in the Pre Set (DCS) and can be reset to "None" oder CTCSS... In Germany it is called the "pilot tone", a carrier signal that opens the channel and closes it, so that it prevents from transmitting permanently... The channel layout of the preprogrammed shows that the manufacturer set the first 10 Channels to DCS.

In PMR you have CTCSS and a carrier signal that is set to 127.3 Hz to my knowledge... I did that in the reprogramming and it STILL has no effect... :(

Look here, this is also very interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTCSS

post-35108-1267784597_thumb.jpg

It seems that the Chinglish Voices will stay where they are because the manufacturer has set it on the features list... According to the Microsoft Windows motto: "Well, it is not a bug - its a feature!"... *sigh* :unsure:

So, no one's been able to get these to work with non PRR radios? I guess this is ok if you only want to do in-team chatter with everyone on the same comms.

Hmmm... I just try to be logical: I bought 2 of the radios. Frequencies are the same all over the world, so... even without reprogramming the radios should communicate with each other when you switch them on and select the appropriate channels on both of them... am I right...? But even the replicas cannot transmit with each other... :mellow: There must be a simple solution for this which is too simple for me to understand (ok that was cynical) or the replicas are ****** -_-

BTW: I also wrote to Paul from EB and he said they will ask the manufacturer for help... hmmm they know who it is but they didnt tell me... this is all too much mystery... :mellow:

I will wait now until PX made their Youtube Video and EB have contacted the manufacturer... I need a break! :rolleyes:

In PMR you have CTCSS and a carrier signal that is set to 127.3 Hz to my knowledge... I did that in the reprogramming and it STILL has no effect... :(

That CTCSS code is one particular CTCSS, either 19 or 20 on most radios. It shouldn't really be on all channels or you'll only get action on that code.

So, if you set a channel to no DCS, but a CTCSS of 127.3 and on frequency 446.00625, you should be able to talk to a PMR radio on channel 1-20 (or 1-19, maybe).

Archived