Beta Project AN/PEQ-15 Review

IMG_0244.jpg

As with any real steel accessory, there are tons of airsoft versions of them in the market. From foregrips to magazines, rail covers to stocks, a lot of airsoft products are designed based on real steel counterparts. Battery boxes mocked up as laser aiming modules are found everywhere, from D-BAL's to PEQ's. Beta Project's copy of the AN/PEQ-15 in flat dark earth is not new to the market, but adds a little uniqueness for an amazing price.

Basic Information

First, some real steel info:

atpial.png

"The ATPIAL (Advanced Target Pointer Illuminator Aiming Light) provides a highly collimated beam of infrared energy for weapon aiming and an adjustable focus infrared beam for target illumination. This Class 3b laser device also provides a highly collimated beam of visible energy for weapon aiming. The ATPIAL has low profile aiming and illumination boresight adjusters. This device is 50% smaller and lighter than the TPIAL. The system comes with a MIL-STD-1913 rail grabber interface using the integral rail grabber bracket. The ATPIAL is the successor to the AN/PEQ-2A.

The ATPIAL has an Integral Rail Grabber Bracket that mounts to any weapon using the standard MIL-STD-1913 Rail, which includes the M4/M16-A4 rifles, M249, M240, M2, and Mk 19. The ATPIAL can also be used as a handheld illuminator/pointer.

The AN/PEQ-15 has replaced both the AN/PEQ-2 and the AN/PAQ-4C."

(copied from OrdnanceMarine.com)

Product Description/First Impressions:

This item was ordered as an accessory for my WE SCAR, along with a stubby TangoDown QD drip and a DYTAC SCAR flash hider. This is the only Beta Project item out anywhere, which leads me to believe that the manufacturer name was given out at whim. What got my attention was the price - this thing is $20 on eHobby, compared to the more expensive VFC and KA versions. Total cost (along with my shotgun parts) was around $180; order was placed on Oct. 15, and arrived at my doorstep Oct. 20 - a record for eHobbyAsia. +100 in my book.

Arrived in a box like this:

IMG_0242.jpg

Inside came with the PEQ, Allen wrench with screw (discussed later), 2 info sheets and a sticker pack.

IMG_0243.jpg

This review will be all external discussion, since it is an accessory.

Externals

I cannot compare this to any other PEQ-15 replica out there, but for $20, it is NICE. Unlike the KA version, it isn't elongated at all - it's short, functional, and beautiful. The sticker set comes with all the real steel markings, but with 3 upper "DANGER" sticker types - white text on black, green text on black, or black text on tan. I went with the 1st one since that's how the rest of the text was.

IMG_0244.jpg

The FDE color matches very well with other versions - it's almost a match to my SCAR's lower color and Magpul's MIAD color - a bit on the lighter side. All buttons, windows, and markings that are on the RS version are on here. Note the elevation/windage adjustment screws will not budget, but the large IR/Visible laser selector does turn. It doesn't, however, affect laser output type. The battery holder at the back will not open either.

IMG_0245.jpg

As on the real one, there is a blue screw that you can screw on that prevents the selector wheel from turning in the "IH" and "DH" selections. This part is optional, but with the screw in it completes the look.

IMG_0246.jpg

The lower section has the RIS mounting unit - you must use a screwdriver, as it's pretty hard to reach here with your fingers. It's solid and sturdy - a must for any accessory.

IMG_0247.jpg

As for trade marks, here are what they say, top to bottom:

LASER RADIATION EMITTED

FROM THESE APERTURES

DANGER

Visible and Invisible

Laser Radiation

AVOID EXPOSURE

TO BEAM

Class 3B Laser Product

MRF: 0B107 ATP-100-A17

MFG. DATE: JAN09

CONFORMS TO 21 CFR 1040 LASER

PRODUCTS, EXCEPT AS AUTHORIZED BY

VARIANCE 00V-1576 EFFECTIVE 10/31/00

MULTIPLE LASERS: VIS IR

OUTPUT PWR(mW): <5 35

WAVELENGTH(nm): 650 830

CAUTION:

THIS ELECTRONIC PRODUCT HAS BEEN EXEMPTED FROM FDA RADIATION

SAFETY PERFORMANCE STANDARD PRESCRIBED IN THE CODE OF FEDERAL

REGULATIONS, TITLE 21, CHAPTER 1, SUBCHAPTER J, PURSUANT TO EXEMP-

TION NO. 76EL-01D0D ISSUED ON JULY 26, 1976. THIS PRODUCT SHOULD NOT

BE USED WITHOUT ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE DEVICES OR PROCEDURES.

Don't know if this is on the RS version, but they seem pretty accurate.

One thing the Beta Project PEQ has that others don't have is an actual working red laser. This is turned on by twisting the single laser module counterclockwise (if the front is pointed at you). Unlike some other versions that use a tape switch (or the RS with the button on top of the modele, this one has a simple screw-on design.

IMG_0251.jpg

The laser is pretty accurate, and not adjustable. Points a very clean dot, visible even in the daylight.

IMG_0252.jpg

The front of the PEQ can be removed. First remove this flathead screw:

IMG_0248.jpg

Peel the rubber hole attachment off the top or bottom of the PEQ, then pull the front off.

IMG_0249.jpg

As you can see the entire PEQ is hollow, perfect for custom LiPo applications - however a custom hole must be cut for the wires leading out. The laser circuit is completely on the front cover - it can be modified with a tape switch pretty easily. The laser runs on LR44 batteries, which can be replaced if needed.

IMG_0250.jpg

Mounted on a gun, you can see it stands out:

IMG_0239.jpg

SMexy.

Conclusion:

For $20 this is an amazing piece of work - the PEQ is fashioned accurately, works great as a laser, and will look good on any gun. Beta Project offers a Black version as well, but no green version - sorry OD fans. In any case, this accessory makes a great addition to any gun that needs that PEQ look or even a battery box option.

Pros:

-Cheap

-Well Built

-Functioning Laser

-Accurate Trades

-Moddable for pressure switch or LiPo packs

Cons:

-No pressure switch as on other models

-Other than above, none!

Written by aznriptide859, 10/24/09

• 1 month later...