Hi, thanks to Paul at JD airsoft, I have a new toy. Figured I'd share my opinion:

This device is a reusable grenade, esthetically designed to resemble the U.S. M84.

It is basically a 120mm long, 35mm diameter cylinder, weighing 230g (about 8oz).

It has a spoon & pin assembly at one end & feels solid. Not heavy but solid.

The body houses a charge & has 7mm holes in it to let smoke/light/heat/noise out. Currently only one charge is available, an airsoft suitable 2 second delay 110-120 db Mk5. Other charges (various delay,Mk7s, 9s & 15s) are available to the non-civilian training market.

Proposed multi-bang & smokes should be available by Christmas & other effects (wizz-bang & bang-crackle) are in the pipeline.

Pulling the pin, frees the spoon & on it's release, a small, spring powered hammer hits a percussion cap. This makes a crack noise like you are clapping your hands & ignites the fuse of the main charge. Charge configuration is only limited by the imagination, size of the grenade & commercial interest. Fuse times & charge size (noise) can be made in various formats, but, as said a 2 second mk5 seems to have been settled on, to pilot this, in the airsoft arena.

The spoon is a flyer & a rubber retainer will be available soon.

Currently available in Tac-black or ltd ed neutral blue. Hi-vis colours are planned to aid recovery.

I have to say, this feller puts a Dynotech BFG, well & truly in the shade: Performance is on a par, with similarly loud charges, reliable fuse times & fairly quick, tool less reloads. Unlike a Dyno, this thing looks the part & is way more compact.

The GR20 is fab. It looks & feels the part, being a refillable, multi purpose pyro, that fits in a pistol mag pouch.

I love it & can't wait to skirmish it (hopefully this weekend). I look forward to getting another, when the smokes become available.

Greg.

Edited by greg
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These look awesome.

I've been trying to find info about them but their does not seem to be a lot out on the world wide webbery. The only thing I can see "wrong" with these is the cap costs. I've not done any maths but if they are as cheap as 9mm blanks I could see myself getting one since Im a CQB softer

1, These look awesome.

2, I've been trying to find info about them but their does not seem to be a lot out on the world wide webbery.

3, The only thing I can see "wrong" with these is the cap costs. I've not done any maths but if they are as cheap as 9mm blanks I could see myself getting one since Im a CQB softer

1, They are.

2, There has been very little publicity as yet. The product is relatively new. I believe they are waiting for classification of the different fill charges before they flood the press.

3, They are no where near as cheap as 9mils.

The caps + bangs are £30+ p&p for 20, so £1.50 a bang (+p&p). However, if you return the used cap holders, (which are reusable) this goes down to £20 for 20. You have to pay for shipment but it gets it closer to £1 per bang. Still way more than a 9mil.

9mm blanks are obviously cheaper but I'm sure there is a problem with shipping them, as most carriers wont do it.

There is also the looming law change making Blanks harder to get hold of. Roomers are that you will need a cat 5 firearms license to purchase 9mm blanks by this time next year.

If this does come to be, dynotec will have to start producing a specific, categorized, charge for their product (the same way TLD have), or it will be rendered 'unfillable' to all but a few. If that happens, you can guarantee the cost of filling a dino will go up.

All that said, Dynos never appealed to me. Too heavy & bulky, with a tool required to re-prime. They look nothing like any 'real' grenades & you are limited to 9mils. I know they take shotgun blanks, but sites (& recipients) really don't like these. Especialy in confined spaces.

The GR20, is almost an exact copy of the M84. It's light, compact & solid. No tools required. Soon it will be interchangeable, with the introduction of smokes & multi-bangs. They are looking into 'fills' for all purposes, including thermos (which they have currently ruled out for airsoft, due to heat build up) & very low noise bangs, where noise pollution is an issue. The charges are all available via the post, so shipment is not a problem.

I love the idea that I can use the same device for smoke or bangs & could at a push, change the fills from one to another, mid-game. There is even a thread at the grenade's base, so a spike or magnet (soon available) can be added, to allow placement, as a trip wire operated mine.

Irrespective of cost, the GR20 is, to my mind, a better choice.

Greg.

Edited by greg

The one disadvantage I found with this when I fiddled with one is that initial spark of the ignition cap: Much like the fizz of fused pyro bought at a site, your opponents can hear it coming and have chance to get into cover which is of course (for me) the big advantage to a BFG.

nah, that fizz is over well before you toss it, these things are awesome! Mines a chrimbo prezzie, but Phil's quite happy to show off the nade to anyone interested, its a cracking bit of kit, beautifully made, solid as a rock, and so versitile, once you own the nade, refills are a bargin, and the options soon avalible will rock!

Genuinely, this is probably the coolest peice of airsoft kit released this year! impressive, seeing as its a British born and bred product!

pyrotldgr20.jpg

And it does look the dogs danglies!

Edited by madwelshman
The one disadvantage I found with this when I fiddled with one is that initial spark of the ignition cap: Much like the fizz of fused pyro bought at a site, your opponents can hear it coming and have chance to get into cover which is of course (for me) the big advantage to a BFG.

Agreed. The latest percussion caps are quieter than the originals, but still the equivalent of clapping your hands.

The 'crack' of the percussion cap does give you away.

But, more & more sites are insisting that you shout a 'Grenade!' warning before you chuck. Thus giving away your position & intention.

TBH, if you get it right, a grenade warning, gives your opponents very little time to do anything about the impending doom. If they move to cover, just lob another at the likely cover spots. Either way, you clear the area where your grenade detonates. They are either hit, or taking cover, in another area. Job done, room empty. ;)

Greg.

Genuinely, this is probably the coolest peice of airsoft kit released this year! impressive, seeing as its a British born and bred product!

Well said.

Strangely there never was a clone-o-tec. Fingers crossed TLD wont fall fowl of the copiers.

It's an incredibly simple design, the only complexity is in the plastic molded top containing the hammer. The rest is pure nuts 'n bolts.

Thanks for getting a photo up (I can't), seeing how cool it looks does more than a thousand words.

Greg.

nah, they wont clone it, if they would, you'd think they would have flooded the market with bfg clones by now, must be something to do with it being a pyro... dunno.

Anyway, anyone wanting any more info on these, the only place you can buy em is here, and Phils the man to ask, he'll talk about them for hours if you let him! dont blame him though, its good to have pride in your creations!

TLD GR20 Distraction Device (bang in a can!!!)

1, nah, they wont clone it, if they would, you'd think they would have flooded the market with bfg clones by now, must be something to do with it being a pyro... dunno.

2, Phils the man to ask, he'll talk about them for hours if you let him! dont blame him though, its good to have pride in your creations!

1, It wouldn't surprise me to find out they are being made in china to keep costs down. Either way, excellent quality.

2, You ain't wrong. I think it's cool to find someone who is as enthusiastic about a product as he is. & now I have one, I can see why. It should get product of the year or something.

Greg.

they are deffo made in the Midlands, by one of Phils mates, he also does custom made parts for aegs, i'm just about to order an xm177 flash hider in a neg thread for my m16 project gun :)

Wow, that's amazing. I didn't think anything was still manufactured in the UK.

Yet another reason to get this super mega product.

(Is this starting to sound like one of those cheesy QVC adverts yet?).

If it takes off, he will have to look at getting it made in china for about 10p & retiring. ;)

Greg.

Keep a tally and report back will ya? :D

The 50 times use advice, is based on the maximum charge size used for military/non-civilian training purposes. This is equivalent to a MK15. Very powerful.

Using the far less powerful 'airsoft approved' mk 5, the GR20 could, in theory , last for ever.

Carbon build up should be cleaned off regularly, especially down the ignition tube from the cap to the charge.

Early examples exist, that have been used hundreds of times & show no signs of giving up the ghost.

This thing is a very simple, very sturdy design, Throwing it as hard as you can on a concrete surface will scratch it up a little but causes no structural damage.

I would guess the first thing to go, will be the plastic/nylon spoon/hammer housing at the top. This will possibly give in to repeated impacts caused by ham fisted long range throwing. However, this is purely speculation on my behalf as I have no evidence of this on mine as yet.

The rest of it is metal & solid. Due to the light weight of the item I doubt impact damage will be a problem. Mk5 type charges don't touch it, so as said, I think it will last.

Greg.

Edited by greg

Chucked mine 14 times this weekend, mainly at Epsom Urban Elite, onto an uneven brick surface.

Used the mk5 charge each time & other than a bit of carbon build up, there are no signs of damage.

It was a real hoot, great fun & great results. :D

Greg.

Used mine in anger for the first time today. Initially I was down on the reloading procedure, but HELL they are the absolute nuts to use. I am getting it down to maybe 90 seconds using some needlenose pliers from my trouser pocket. I also have to work out a durable line to use to keep the spoon with the nade body, as the many threads of cotton I used first off just blew to bits on the first ever throw! I got such good kills with it though - it's light enough not to hurt anyone, but so much more throwable than a cardboard pyro. Really loving it now, will get a second one ASAP.

Used mine in anger for the first time today. Initially I was down on the reloading procedure, but HELL they are the absolute nuts to use. I am getting it down to maybe 90 seconds using some needlenose pliers from my trouser pocket. I also have to work out a durable line to use to keep the spoon with the nade body, as the many threads of cotton I used first off just blew to bits on the first ever throw! I got such good kills with it though - it's light enough not to hurt anyone, but so much more throwable than a cardboard pyro. Really loving it now, will get a second one ASAP.

I use the pin to get the hammer back & a small piece of 75lb breaking strain dynema to keep the spoon with the body. ;)

Greg.

what the hell is dynema? and what material did you use for your spoon retainer? my thread just burnt to a crisp immediately!

Ever heard of 'Spiderwire' or 'Spectra'?

It's polyethylene fiber woven into, er, anything from thin thread to great big ropes.

'Dynema' was the trade name used by the European manufacturers. It was more commonly known in the U.S. as Spectra.

They are basically the same, although the U.S. 'spectra' brand was seen as superior when it first hit the stores, due to a superior weaving process.

It has a very high breaking strain for any given diameter, but little to no stretch. Often it is blended with aramids (Kevlar) or nylon to add a little stretch or abrasion resistance.

It's seen in braided fishing lines, multi line kite flying & climbing ropes & bullet resistant vests to name but a few.

It's not particularly flame proof (Kevlar & nomex are better), but it's fine on my GR20's.

I might just have a bit to spare if you bring it along when we install the npas in the MP7's. ;)

Any news on that?

Greg.

Edited by greg