sorry for the Necropost, just managed to break my first GR-20 trying to take it apart to do some cleaning and discovered the fuse end cap had bound, following a lot of swearing etc finally manged to ge thte thing to pieces, tried to put it back together and long story short seem to have stripped the threads so moral of the story, they ain't squaddie proof (or in this case stoker proof). Other than that I'll be ordering some of the .8 second fused bangs that JD have got coming in as the 2 second plus ones tend to give peple enough time to move clear of the unit before it operates.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for the Necropost, just managed to break my first GR-20 trying to take it apart to do some cleaning and discovered the fuse end cap had bound, following a lot of swearing etc finally manged to ge thte thing to pieces, tried to put it back together and long story short seem to have stripped the threads so moral of the story, they ain't squaddie proof (or in this case stoker proof). Other than that I'll be ordering some of the .8 second fused bangs that JD have got coming in as the 2 second plus ones tend to give peple enough time to move clear of the unit before it operates.

Shame. I noticed they have a tendency to bind, so give them a little silicon from time to time.

Is a replacement as easy & cheap to source as we have been led to believe?

On the .8 delays, I was not aware we were getting those. Where did you here this? When & from where, will they be available?

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried phoning JDairsoft today as he said he'd have them in by the end of the month as seems par for the course he failed to answer the phone so I'll try again tomorrow. Last time I talked to him he said that they should also have the spoon retention kits in as well.

Yeah, the answering of the phone is poor but persistance usually gives good results. :D I assume end of the month means end of March, not end of Feb? Any idea of cost?

Greg.

Edited by greg

I'm getting one of these soon ,after seeing them in action the other weekend. You could try tiger tail wire for a spoon retainer. Here you go .Some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tiger-Tail-Wire-1mm-...=item3a585a711f ,and some of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500-Black-Toned-Crim...=item3c9c74fb3e

Edited by heroshark
I'm getting one of these soon ,after seeing them in action the other weekend. You could try tiger tail wire for a spoon retainer. Here you go .Some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tiger-Tail-Wire-1mm-...=item3a585a711f ,and some of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500-Black-Toned-Crim...=item3c9c74fb3e

What ever floats your boat. :huh:

I just used a 3" length of 70lbs breaking strain dynema I had knocking about in my fishing kit.

Drilled a 1mm hole in the spoon by the top & tied it to the plastic top piece. It hasn't failed in over 60 throws.

I can thoroughly recommend the GR20, having used it for over 75 chucks, in all conditions over the last few months.

I have had one percussion cap failure & 1 'noise unit' fail to detonate. Both were replaced free of charge.

Loading time is now super quick & second nature, less than 30 seconds, tool less, in the field. Running (not initial purchase) cost is £1 a chuck, which is very affordable for what is basically a 'disposable, reusable', pull pin, ultra realistic looking, device.

Wherever I go, there are a que of admiring folk, asking questions about how it works. It amazes me that these ain't selling like hot cakes.

I am disappointed that features like the spoon retainer (pointless for me), triple bangs, & smokes are still not available.

Indications were, that these would be on line before Christmas, but still no signs.

I think this must be down to lack of sales. JD airsoft & Pyromad are still the only UK dealers & like I say, there are very few GR20's in airsoft use.

Dynotechs may be cheaper to run but look like poo & still have that, 'Blanks may become hard to get due to changes in the law' thing, hanging over their heads.

Get one quick. Generate some hype, get your team mates to buy in & help to guarantee, that this amazing product, doesn't become an overlooked, discontinued line.

I'm starting to think that lack of uptake may kill this product, in the airsoft market. A real shame because it is just soooooooooo good. Rumor has it, that it is replacing the Nicho in the 'training' arena & there is another model soon to be available, which will be 'more suited to airsofters needs'. :huh: Who knows what the truth holds, for what should have been 'product of the year'.

Greg.

I would be all over this if the norwegian airsofters could accept it as "safe". Only thing killing it atm is the weight. Nobody wants one chucked in the head as it is too heavy with a charge in it.

It weighs less than a bfg!

It looks & is very solid but the end caps are alloy. The steel cage, as You can see, is drilled & the top piece is a durable plastic. Charges are car board & weigh next to nothing. I just weighed mine, loaded, with pin & spoon, 245g, 8.6oz.

About two more ounces could be removed by machining the ends & drilling even more holes in the cage. This is really not worth it though as it is light enough.

I wrapped a thin layer of 2mm thick draft excluder & insulating tape around the end caps on mine, for further protection, but tbh it's pretty unnecessary.

I think you would have to be a bit reckless to throw any pyro over head height. Not because of impact but detonation. Perhaps you use pyro different to me, but most of the time, this is 'posted', or 'bowled' along the floor underarm, never more than about 10m, so very little chance of hitting someone hard in the head

Get one, see what I mean. ;)

Greg.

What ever floats your boat. :huh:

I just used a 3" length of 70lbs breaking strain dynema I had knocking about in my fishing kit.

Drilled a 1mm hole in the spoon by the top & tied it to the plastic top piece. It hasn't failed in over 60 throws.

I'm starting to think that lack of uptake may kill this product, in the airsoft market. A real shame because it is just soooooooooo good. Rumor has it, that it is replacing the Nicho in the 'training' arena & there is another model soon to be available, which will be 'more suited to airsofters needs'. :huh: Who knows what the truth holds, for what should have been 'product of the year'.

Greg.

You can make a lovely necklace with the rest .If you get some clasps ,and some beads ..No :mellow: ? It is essentially strong fishing line, just used for a different purpose :) . I think in time it'll take off when the blanks are banned. As you say ,its an excellent product .

I would be all over this if the norwegian airsofters could accept it as "safe". Only thing killing it atm is the weight. Nobody wants one chucked in the head as it is too heavy with a charge in it.

The charge makes little difference, you still wouldn't want it chucked at your head :)

I think in time it'll take off when the blanks are banned. As you say ,its an excellent product .

The charge makes little difference, you still wouldn't want it chucked at your head :)

It will be a shame, if the only reason it takes off, is because the bfg becomes hard to run. It should be able to do well, just because, as you say, it is excellent, in it's own right. It's a realistic looking device, allowing you to, 'pull pin/spoon' deploy, a disposable pyro. It also allows flexibility & a choice of pyro but this has yet to be capitalised on.

I have no idea why it isn't catching on. I would have more, if the triple bang or smokes became available. There is even a choice of decibel & fuse length, although current suppliers have decided not to make these available to the UK airsoft market. It astonishes me, that there are fuse lengths between .75 - 5 seconds but we can only get the 2 second version. Just in case some spud forgets which is which & blows his hand off, I presume. This is more a sign of the times than anything else but it still sucks.

They are small & light, fitting into a kings arms or Viper, pistol mag pouch. This makes them much easier to store, carry & deploy, than a Dynoteck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you are right, I wouldn't want to catch one in the side of the head. :D

Greg.

It will be a shame, if the only reason it takes off, is because the bfg becomes hard to run. It should be able to do well, just because, as you say, it is excellent, in it's own right. It's a realistic looking device, allowing you to, 'pull pin/spoon' deploy, a disposable pyro. It also allows flexibility & a choice of pyro but this has yet to be capitalised on.

I have no idea why it isn't catching on. I would have more, if the triple bang or smokes became available. There is even a choice of decibel & fuse length, although current suppliers have decided not to make these available to the UK airsoft market. It astonishes me, that there are fuse lengths between .75 - 5 seconds but we can only get the 2 second version. Just in case some spud forgets which is which & blows his hand off, I presume. This is more a sign of the times than anything else but it still sucks.

They are small & light, fitting into a kings arms or Viper, pistol mag pouch. This makes them much easier to store, carry & deploy, than a Dynoteck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you are right, I wouldn't want to catch one in the side of the head. :D

Greg.

True. Actualy another advantage over bfg's is they are allowed indoors only being mk5. Talking to the guys using them I think they mentioned there was a longer fuse available now ,I could be wrong though :rolleyes:

True. Actually another advantage over bfg's is they are allowed indoors only being mk5. Talking to the guys using them I think they mentioned there was a longer fuse available now ,I could be wrong though :rolleyes:

Actually, the Dyno, is currently more flexible than the GR20.

You can get adapters to allow the use of .22 primers, fairly quiet, like a thermo or mk3, 9mm blanks, equivalent to a mk5(120db), or shotgun blanks, equivalent to a mk9 (180db).

But, you can't vary the fuse time, or load multi bangs or smokes.

For the Gr20 there are currently a fair amount of 'loads' that are manufactured but not currently, generally available to airsofters in the UK.

Currently we can only officially get the 2 second 120db mk5.

I am aware of 180db mk9's, Mk7's, 'screaches', 'screech to bangs' & 'Crackles'. All of which can be provided with .75-5 second fuses.

There is talk of a zero fuse option, so that the grenade can be used as a mine, although tbh, this can be achieved by using a louder primer.

Allegedly, there have been trials at making a 'quieter' MK3-a-like but this proved unworkable. R & D is supposedly still ongoing for the triple bangs & smokes but this has been 'promised' for over 6 months, so I'm not holding my breath. I know these things take time but come on. Take too long & the boat departs.

Currently, the GR20 offers one role. The fact it's payload can be changed in a matter of seconds without the use of tools is theoretical. In THEORY, you can take one GR20 into the field & use it to deploy a variety of effects, from smokes to bangs. The 'loads' are relatively small, so the attraction of this 'modular system' is obvious. No more pockets stuffed with dodgy looking disposable pyro, fiddling with strikers or lighters. Just one or two GR20's & a pouch full of 'loads': I can get 8 primers & mk5 loads, into one pistol mag pouch!

Products need to be quickly developed to fulfill the GR20's full potential. Then it needs to be advertised as such.

Greg.

Edited by greg
Actually, the Dyno, is currently more flexible than the GR20.

You can get adapters to allow the use of .22 primers, fairly quiet, like a thermo or mk3, 9mm blanks, equivalent to a mk5(120db), or shotgun blanks, equivalent to a mk9 (180db).

but still alot of sites will not allow them indoors reguardless.

but still alot of sites will not allow them indoors reguardless.

I kinda get the feeling that the GR20 & Dyno are both in the same boat here. Sites normally say anything goes or you can only use the ones you buy from us.

Currently First & only allow Dynos but not GR20's. Apparently they are awaiting some sort of data safety sheet. Some sites allow dynos & Gr20's etc but only with loads equivilent to MK5's, ie 9mills.

Which sites don't specifically allow Dynos?

Greg.

Edited by greg
I kinda get the feeling that the GR20 & Dyno are both in the same boat here. Sites normally say anything goes or you can only use the ones you buy from us.

Currently First & only allow Dynos but not GR20's. Apparently they are awaiting some sort of data safety sheet. Some sites allow dynos & Gr20's etc but only with loads equivilent to MK5's, ie 9mills.

Which sites don't specifically allow Dynos?

Greg.

I guess so ,it all rules and regulations things need to pass. I played at op tactical stan which is where I first came across the gr20 they didn't .Lindsey airsoft, brit-tac. These are just some in my area.

The problem with the rules in norway is that it has to be safe for retards to use them. If a retard thinks it would be a good idea to chuck it and blast someones eardrums out, its not "safe". Personally i dont think this is the right way to think, but our fields are generally a lot more accessible to the general public and such, so we have to take civvies into the equation as well...

Generally... If we want it allowed, it has to be safe to use in a kindergarten....

The problem with the rules in norway is that it has to be safe for retards to use them. If a retard thinks it would be a good idea to chuck it and blast someones eardrums out, its not "safe". Personally i dont think this is the right way to think, but our fields are generally a lot more accessible to the general public and such, so we have to take civvies into the equation as well...

Generally... If we want it allowed, it has to be safe to use in a kindergarten....

Mm.

It's exactly the same in the UK but most site opperators turn a blind eye, so that folk can enjoy themselves.

Ie, it is illegal to throw 'fireworks' (pyro), or shoot at some one with an 'air rifle' (single shot airsoft gun over 380fps). ;)

Greg.

Greg.

The problem in the UK is that if your site is insured by Leisuresure (one of the 'big 2' in airsoft/paintball PLI along with Perkins Slade) then GR20s are not covered by the site's PLI. This is because the insurance co has not seen safety data for them. It should be noted that the site owner of UCAP (my boss!) has attempted to get this sorted, but the insurance company won't move quickly. Until they give the go ahead, if anyone was to make a claim ageanst the site for hearing damage, injury due to being struck etc the site would pick up the bill for court costs etc... not their insurer. This means that some (including us) won't take the risk unless we know all the players present and they are happy with their use. Even this is a dodgy ground TBH, so it's a rare occurence.They tend to be saved for our milsim evenings, where hearing protection is compulsory (12g and Mk9 in use. Many use Sordin or Peltor)

'That' data sheet has been freely available on-line for ever.

I wish I could do links, but I'm a bit thick.

I have to question the sites, like first & only, who also claim they are 'waiting'.

I am of the opinion that there is something more to this, as I first bought the availability of 'THE' sheet, about 5 months ago.

That particular site, still doesn't allow GR20's, saying they keep forgetting to approve the copy.

I find this highly suspicious.

But hey, I'm all for conspiracy theory's.

If any one has the facility to put 'the sheet' on these forums, it might help others bring it to the attention of event organisers who are dragging their heels.

Actually, I think I may have seen it on here already,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or am I going mad? :rolleyes:

In 'other news', it looks like a bit more interest is occurring as 'socomtactical.net' are now advertising the gr20 for £60. I also hear that the reletively new, 'Viking Airsoft' may be stocking it.

Greg.

Edited by greg
It's not the availability of the data sheet, it's the insurer taking their own sweet time about approving it. That's the case for us, can't comment on other site's reasons.

Are you sure about that?

I'm amazed that a PL insurer gives a hoot what pyro is used. :huh:

Greg.