VFC E-series Full Metal M4

This is a copy-n-paste of the thread I posted on Airsoft Barracks.

VFC E-series Full Metal M4 full photo review

Written by Annun Cirith

Table of contents:

First Impressions

Accessories

Externals

Internals

Performance

Comparison

Pros & Cons

Ordering

The Final Word

First Impressions

Airsoft GI packed my VFC E-series M4 securely in a large box padded at both ends. There was no damage on arrival.

After opening the shipping box, I was greeted by a flat black box with a single sticker on the front, pictured below.

1.jpg

After opening the box, I was greeted to my new rifle nestled snugly in a sort of \'sabot\' made of corrugated cardboard cutouts encased in a small box at each end of the rifle. Removing the boxes revealed a LE stock and VFC\'s typical red flash hider. This was glued on, but not very well. A quick twist with pliers, while ruining the finish of the hider itself, got it right off. I promptly replaced it with the VERY nice black flash hider that was included. Pictured below is a comparison between the VFC (left) and TM (right) M4 flash hiders.. Note that TM is more glossy, which would have likely looked very nice, but the VFC is more flat black with a slight grey tone to it, which looks very appealing on the gun.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The handguards feel very smooth, but at the same time they have an unfamiliar texture that isn\'t quite rough, but affords a very nice grip. I\'d assume they are nylon fiber. Removing the handguards to insert the battery is quite the task, as the delta ring is EXTREMELY stiff. This is a plus in my eyes, as I don\'t feel any sort of worry that the handguards may pop off randomly. Underneath the well-built handguards, the gas tube and wire harness are revealed. The wire harness looks to be fairly small-gauge wire, with a glossy black mini male Tamiya connector and a blade-type fuse. I fit an Elite 8.4 1500 very easily in there, I\'m sure a 9.6 would fit pretty snugly.

4.jpg

Next, the receiver. VFC placed their logo on the left side of the magazine well, and while I would have preferred a realistic trademark, it is still a rather artistic design and very complimenting to the overall look of the rifle.

5.jpg

Above and slightly ahead of the fire selector, there is a marking that reads \"Vega Force Inc., Ltd.\" \"Sanchong Taipei\" \"Taiwan\"

6.jpg

And the fire selector itself is practically a work of art. I immediately worked the switch and found that it is just slightly difficult to engage, but when it does, there is a very satisfying click and a jolt in the switch signifying it\'s locked into place.

7.jpg

The charging handle is functional on this replica. When you pull the handle, if you stop at the first bit of resistance, the dust cover will pop open, but the bolt will not engage. If you continue through the resistance, the bolt will pull and lock back thanks to the functional bolt catch. I find this feature extremely appealing as I sometimes need to adjust hopup midgame. The bolt catch itself moves less than a millimeter when depressed and the bolt sounds a bit like flicking a glass cup, but it\'s still a lovely feature. Looking up the mag well shows that the stock hopup is made of clear plastic.

8.jpg

Underneath the removable carry handle is an RIS rail with \"T (x)\" markings indicating the segment. I have purchased a King Arms ACOG which I may decide to use on this rail.

9.jpg

Edited by elrey
Posts split/tweaked to allow pictures

The LE stock is just a tad bit rattly and does not lock all the way forward in its shortest configuration, but it makes up for it in comfort. The next to last setting is just about perfect for me and the rattle is almost unnoticeable beyond the first notch.

10.jpg

11.jpg

My main gripes are that the included VFC midcap magazine was DOA, and the silicon lube residue in various places on the gun.

Accessories

As far as accessories go, any M4 accessory will fit it. I believe this is a mil-spec replica, due to the design of the stock, gas tube, and delta ring, so it is likely that real steel accessories will fit. Thus far, I have tried fit of MAG, Echo 1 Dogs of War, and Magpul PMAG midcaps and all fit tightly and engage the mag catch, and all fed extremely well, with the exception of not firing about three rounds at the end of each fill.

I\'ve also purchased a Magpul ASAP sling mount which I will be including pictures of at the end of the review.

Externals

The externals are downright gorgeous. Straight VFC quality all the way. I am utterly in love with this gun already, and I haven\'t even fired it yet. It looks extremely similar to my cousin\'s AR-15, except for the logos and wiring. The metal is very high quality, feels solid, and magnets stick to it. The outer barrel is one piece, metal, and does not wobble at all. The delta ring is real-style. All other points of the externals have already been discussed.

12.jpg

Internals

At this point I have neither the familiarity nor the confidence to open the mechbox, but takedown is fine, and I will discuss some of the points I\'ve noted.

One feature that is immediately evident is that the front takedown pin has some sort of pin holding it in place, just outside of the receiver. The connectors between the motor and fuse/battery are tiny bullet-type connectors. The receiver does not have tabs, so you can just slide it off similar to a G&P. As you can see below, the VFC M4 utilizes a clear plastic hopup unit, a black bucking, and a brass barrel.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The takedown is identical to a normal no-tabs M4. The VFC uses an unmarked black motor which has amazing trigger response on an 8.4. I had some trouble punching out the trigger pin, so I took a picture of the outside of the mechbox and lower receiver.

15.jpg

16.jpg

According to WGC shop, the mechbox is an 8mm VFC custom box, Version 2 compatible.

Performance

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the VFC\'s performance. The gearbox runs with a much smoother and satisfying sound than my JG G36c or E1 E90. There is no \'cough\' that some guns exhibit when first beginning a firing cycle in full auto. The cycle rate is smooth and seems to stay perfectly constant. I did not have the camera outside with me when I tested, however I documented all results and am reproducing them accurately. All tests were done with TSD .20g BBs and numbers were gathered via my Fidragon chrono.

With no hopup, the VFC M4 achieves a fairly steady 350 FPS. Airsoft GI listed the muzzle velocity as 320-330, so I\'m running a little hot but not complaining as it\'s just in the sweet spot that I usually run for woods games. Variations were mostly upward of 350, the highest spike I saw was 357. ROF is surprisingly good on an 8.4. I used an Elite 8.4v 1500 2/3A battery and got a steady 15.0 RPS.

Firing on a 2-inch diameter black target circle (Tokyo Marui pistol target papers) from a distance of approximately 15 feet, semi-automatic with no hopup and a medium breeze, I achieved a one-inch grouping slightly low and to the left with some flyers due to wind interference. After adjusting hopup and waiting for the wind to calm between shots, I achieved a half-inch grouping just slightly to the left of bullseye. I also sighted in my King Arms ACOG and achieved comparable results.

Comparison

Compared to my dad\'s JG M4A1 basic version, and my friend\'s AGM M4A1 RIS, the VFC blows both of them out of the water in external design.

As far as performance goes, while the JG and AGM fire hotter, the VFC does so far more attractively. The motors on the clone M4s sound like they\'re being forced to turn, while the VFC sounds primed and ready to go. It really is a beautiful sound; if I had quality recording equipment I\'d happily oblige, but I can\'t do much with my laptop mic.

Pros and cons

+Cheaper than other VFCs

+Same price as other high end M4A1s

+Gorgeous design, endless upgrade possibilities

+VFC Owner\'s Club

+Great performance

-Delta ring is very stiff

-Lube residue

-Unrealistic trademarks (not really a con IMO)

-Bolt catch sounds wimpy and does not always release the bolt completely. (Stuck on hopup unit)

Ordering

I placed my order through Airsoft GI on Monday, October 12, 2009. It shipped on Wednesday, October 14, 2009, and arrived Monday, October 19, 2009. I received it on Thursday, October 22, 2009, as I had class Monday-Thursday and got home for the weekend on Thursday.

The Final Word

Overall, I\'ve very satisfied with my purchase. The VFC E-series M4 is gorgeous, solidly built, and carries the VFC name, which in itself is a selling point in my book. The gun looks realistic, feels sturdy and doesn\'t strike me as just another M4. Time will tell, but for now, I\'m happy. 9/10.

And last but not least, with upgrades! Magpul ASAP sling mount and PMAG, King Arms red dot ACOG.

17.jpg

Edited by elrey

great review man. I had the VFC MOE magpul for a few weeks and god it was beautiful (It has same internals as the E series just an uber beautifully fully decked out in trades tan magpul everything). They run amazing though i noted that the hopup seemed to come loose quickly. Prolly needed a good tightening but hey i sold it off to pick up this months flavor lol EXCELLENT GUN and amazing review thanks!!

great review man. I had the VFC MOE magpul for a few weeks and god it was beautiful (It has same internals as the E series just an uber beautifully fully decked out in trades tan magpul everything). They run amazing though i noted that the hopup seemed to come loose quickly. Prolly needed a good tightening but hey i sold it off to pick up this months flavor lol EXCELLENT GUN and amazing review thanks!!

nice review :) shame you could just add the code to all the links..

Very sorry I haven't been around to answer questions.. busy weekend.

nice review :) shame you could just add the code to all the links..

I did, however the forums were angry with me for doing so. There's an image limit =\

very good review. whats better do you think? a vfc e-series or a g&g combat machine? just curiouse

In my opinion, after having the VFC, I would not ever want a plastic bodied M4. The G&G CM is great for a budget rifle, as it's got good internals and the plastic will hold up very well, but the G&G CM does not hold a candle at all to the feel of the VFC. It's worth every penny.

Thank you all for the kind words!

• 3 weeks later...

rebster, testify, thank you for the kind words.

The ACOG is wonderful. I've got it zeroed at about 60-80 feet, which is the typical range of engagement at my field. The iron sights on top work surprisingly well, and the outside of the scope itself has a slightly rubberized finish, which is nice as it will cut down on the amount of weathering the scope will receive.

• 1 month later...

It has come to my attention that user 'sputnik' has copy-and-pasted my review word-for-word over to NEASG - Let me make it clear. If I find my review anywhere but where I have posted it, and I know you didn't have permission to put it there, you will suffer to the full extent of what you can be punished for. PM me. Have a little damn respect. I put in the work to write this review. Even though I'm still getting credit for writing it, I want say in where my writing goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi!

i'm up to buy a vfc or avalon m4. i found the avalon has an ambidexious selector like the rs one and steel outer barrel. i know e-series has alu barrel, but i couldn't find any info about the selector. can someone solve my problem? :rolleyes:

Edited by Rocko
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...