"best" equipment breakages in the field

magaz

Friend of mine had this crappy spring shotgun - cost him £20, and came with a light and laser.

We were at CS:W and it was near the end of the game, and we were assaulting the farm. We were just standing around waiting for it to end, as the last of the yellows were being killed off behind this barricade.

I slug my R85A1 on my back & picked up my mate's shotgun, held it above my head, and ran towards the other team.

I tripped over a tree, grazed my cheek, snapped large chunks of plastic off my SA80, had the SA80 itself break, and had my glasses fly off me.

Needless to say, the sa80 is now gathering dust in my cupboard.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second time l85 died (before I shelfed it, it had died 6 times...)

Halfway through a game (possibly at Heywood, not sure) it suddenly makes a weird "vree-ooom!" noise. I stop shooting at once, and look at my squad mates, who are all looking at my gun. Even though I'm not pulling the trigger, its making a stranging whirring noise, as if a gear is still spinning.

It stops, so I start shooting again.

At which point, there is a loud "bang", the sound of ripping metal and I watch as half of the piston and several gears are ejected out through the barrel.

So, I calmly lowered it, put the safety on and pulled the mag out...aswell as half of the hop up and lots of tiny platic bits.

The guys who repaired it for me had a wonderful expression when I gave them the upper and lower parts of the gun, and a bag filled with bits...

I've had a ca36k and a soc16 break on me. The soc16 my friend just fell on while running up a hill, pretty much the only salvageable part was the gearbox everything else was bent. The g36 I had, I was running at full sprint down a concrete road and got tripped by the bottom of a dead tree sticking out onto the road. I go down hard, but the whole time I'm watching my g36 (at the time my first and only aeg) do somersaults in the air before coming down on the ground. The fall was bad enough that it tore the ###### out of my ripstop pants, on hands and knees I dragged myself to the gun to see how it was doing. I picked it up and it shot fine, but the stock had completely shattered as well as taken a bit of body with it.

I lent a friend of a friend my MP5 for the day as it was his first airsofting experience and he seemed pretty sensible and a general nice guy. About halfway through the day he tipped over himself. There was nothing for him to trip over, nothing, he just dropped for no reason. Needless to say, my MP5 broke his fall causing it to break just forward of the magwell, the only salvageable bit was the stock, the silencer, the redot on mount, and the gearbox. But the gearbox needed a new nozzle and tappet plate. Hurray for lending.

Fortunately, my site had a bin of random MP5 parts, and i was able to make a new MP5 from them, however it meant buying some random parts like a new fire selector and selector cam for the old style MP5 which it now is, which are reasonably hard to find. But at least it was a pretty cheap repair, just took a while to find parts that liked to fit together from among the various brands.

Best one ever today. One of the battery connectors on my cousin's M249 disconnected today, when I tried lobbing some rounds onto a distant target I squeezed the trigger and got no respone. Seemed rather odd as the battery was fresh. So I took the outer barrel off, took off the inner barrel, looked at the battery, faffed about reconnecting, tested it, put the inner barrel back in and the outer barrel back on (under fire mind you :P ) and then got it all sorted, stood up ... and got slotted.

Used a CA Steyr AUG one day, firing away firing away, then a melted plastic smell came about, along with a decreased in ROF and a grinding noise. The grinding noise became a screeching noise then the rifle refuses to cycle.

Dropped it, switched to my backup KSC P226 plastic version and then half way into the magazine during the assault, pistol jammed and then for some reason ran out of gas, switched mags, and then magazine dropped out along with magazine catch.

Then I got shot.

Not a good day...

Later I found out that:

1) CA Torque up gear set, the bevel gear is the 2 piece design using 2 different types of metal, and is mounted by mere friction at the shaft. Over time this moves and wears out, meaning the bevel lower does not connect with the bevel upper gears, resulting in a screeching noise.

2) CA V3 trigger sets are prone to melting.

3) KSC P226 plastic frames have a weak magazine catch design, resulting in breakages.

Not the best day I have had on the field. Though it does beat using a CA249 in torrential rain where the boxmag was so wet the BBs hardly go 10m, along with the sizzling of the water on the electricals, you just don't know when your lipos will blow up.

I'm lucky; I've never managed to break anything in a spectacular way YET, though I did stand my shiny new CA G3 on its butt where it promptly fell over and broke the stock clean off (Pathetically weak piece if kit), BUT:

I'm the last one in the back of a Landy at the Earth Centre (Cerberus), hence first out. "IED" does off, I kick the door open and leap out to fall flat on my face. My Army R85A1 with SUSAT goes flying, making many expensive-sounding noises as it bounces along the road. I pick it up, give it the once over, fire a couple of shots downrange, brush the dust off it. Didn't even knock the sight out of alignment. How cool is that?

I know that R85's have a bit of a rep, but I can't fault the one I've got. I know it's quirks, and how to fix them in the field. They are none-problems.

Seams to be a lot of saties breaking in this thread (sell em to me for cheep :P)

I once, long ago, had the reputation for beeing able to get a kill with anything at all. Springers, LPEGs, a mars bar*. Someone challenged me to get a kill with a nerf gun. A few months later i saw one for £6 in my local shop and could not stop the money jumping out of my pocket.

I managed to holster it in an AK mag pouch, and took it to a game. The first game we played was a pistol/shotgun game, so i ignored the nerf cus i love pistol games, especially in CQB ^.^.

unfortunatly a BB hit the nerf in the cylinder, breaking it so it never fired a shot in anger!

Later that day someone picked up the 4 nerfs and shoved them into a 40mm.... you can see where this is going... he got two kills.

*as a thrown knife kill!

My personal best epic fail was when i was mid game assualting the base to capture the other teams leader thus winning the game. while my squad advanced my body pins fell out and gun fell apart.

That was the last time I bought an Echo 1.

But my favorite one of all time was when my old teams leader on his new team was mid sprint, tripped fell on his gun and it exploded.

The curse of the Newbie.

Never ever ever ever loan guns, at my second game i got a rental, my mates "borrowed" a few guns.

Half way through the day my mate decided to remove the silencer as it was getting in the way indoors (new TM MP5 RAS) this was a quick release and took a few minutes to work out. I was getting a bacon roll at this point and no where near the action.

The story goes, 2 of them managed to get the silencer off, they thought they had undone the inner barrel as well, as it was sticking out of outer barrel and loose (we all now know aeg barrels come like this, the flashider goes back on and no problem, they didnt know this was normal)

So i come back 10 mins later with my bacon roll and coffee to see one of the pair holding down the MP5, while the other is trying to tighten up the loose inner barrel with Mole grips ! they reckon they had stripped the threads as it wouldnt do up ohmy.gif then they pulled the barrel clean out blink.gif they didnt know it was held in a bit of rubber by a plastic clip and not threaded in like they thought.

No one would lend them anything thing after that, and it's still waiting to be fixed nearly a year on, mates eh who would have them.

How long ago was that taken/how old is the gun? I've seen similar pics involving earlier models of the ICS M4. That said I've seen my dad fall over onto his M4 with it out across him on a two point sling and smash it against some rocks on the ground with no ill effect - which you think it would cause a similar breakage as above.

Worst I've had is a piston stripping, jamming the gears and trigger switch...trigger switch melts....battery is hot enough to start melting solder and heat shrink by the time we get it out the stock...bit of a mess that one.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived