King Arms KAC SR16-E3

**This isn't the full review, just a first impressions overview**

Got this from the postmaster today after a week long wait/battle with US Customs :P All I can say is it was worth the wait.

The gun weighs in at a hefty 8.6 lbs empty (no mag no battery) and definitely feels sturdy and impressive. Some wiggles and wobbles, namely in the stock which happens to be the most disappointing part about the rifle (more on that in a bit). Overall finish is very nice and is the kind of quality you would expect from a high end company such as King Arms (KA).

-Front to Back

Flash Hider

Attached to the gun was a blaze orange flash hider to comply with US laws regarding airsoft replicas. Despite this, KA included a nicely finished and hefty standard M4/16 flash hider.

Barrel

The barrel is a heavyweight style barrel but is not fluted like my G&P SR15 URX front set. The barrel is finished in a nice matte dark, dark, nearly black grey.

Gas Block/Gas Tube

Gas block looks great from every direction but the bottom. The bottom of the block looks a bit mangled, almost like a file was rubbed along it. However, I wouldn't worry about this in the production run of the rifles as I'm sure its just a problem with mine (strictly review sample). Gas tube is nice and solid and is finished nicely as well, even on the front of the gas block where its visible.

URX

Now I know this is something that many of you are wondering about. Let me say this first; This URX is rock effing solid. NO wobbles, NO play at ALL. You won't have to worry about this guy coming loose or adjusting those fiddly rings inside the URX to line it up just right, its lined up perfectly out of the box as close as you can get.

Finish is similar to that of my G&P SR15 URX set BUT it seems like the KA URX doesn't scratch as easily as the G&P. The lower part of the URX is attached via five screws on each side rather than the three on each side like on the G&P.

The sling swivel holes (five on the URX alone) are nice and loose already and don't have any excess finish inside of it that needs to get mushed out of the way to ensure smoother operation like the G&P.

I believe the trades are accurate, they read "KNIGHTS ARMAMENT CO. TITUSVILLE, FL. WWW.KNIGHTARMCO.COM" on the left side and read "URX II UPPER MID-LENGTH P/N-28139" on the right.

The flip up sight has a locking feature which doesn't really work on mine; I mean it definitely makes the thing stay up but if you apply enough pressure on it to fold, it will. However, the locking feature is a nice addition considering my G&P doesn't have anything close to that. The Sight also has a little wheel on the inside of it that allows you to adjust the height (elevation) of the front sight, again something the G&P does not have.

Rail covers are nice and feature a nice texture but were wayyyy to loose. I had to affix just about TWO strips of duct tape to the underside of them in order to make them stop wobbling (in all directions mind you).

Body

The finish of the Body is somewhere in between that of G&P and KWA. What I mean by this is that it has a slightly matte, slightly glossy finish. The finish does not scratch easily though and would require a gouge in order for some of the silver aluminum to show (Unfortunately I already confirmed this :( ).

Ambidextrous controls are one of the many cool, unique features that KA incorporated into this rifle. The ambi controls include:

-Ambi selector switches

-Ambi mag release

-Ambi bolt catch (functional!!!)

-Ambi Sling swivels (not really controls but falls into the ambi category)

Trades read "SR-16 E3" on the top receiver and feature the KAC emblem near where the gas tube enters the receiver. On the left: "STONER RIFLE, (KAC emblem), K70488," on the right:

SR-16 - 5.56mm

KNIGHTS ARMAMENT CO.

TITUSVILLE FL.

U.S.A.

The selector switch is nice on the left side but a bit mushy on the right side due to the gear system that moves the selector. Like I was telling Fiddlesticks, the selector doesn't wobble but it does move a bit past the safe and auto positions. The right side selector doesn't feature the authentic cut out for when your trigger finger is away from the trigger. Now I'm not saying that the selector impedes upon your ability to properly work the controls.

The bolt catch and mag catch are nice features that are fully functional. One gripe though is the left side mag release; it tends to flap about since nothing is holding it down when not in use. I tried applying a bit of felt to the back of it to stop it from making noise but by doing so it didn't allow the catch to fully depress thus rendering the catch inoperable. The bolt locks back without a hitch but makes a very unsatisfying 'click' when released by the bolt catch. Now I understand that its just a little piece of metal (I'm used to the bolt action of GBBRs) but it could at least sound a little more substantial.

The grip seems to be of regular AEG dimensions; a bit of a disappointment considering that the VFC is built slimmer. It does feature a heat sink for the motor though which is nice.

The dust cover looks like a regular cover (i.e. RS covers or G&Ps with the large knob on it that releases the cover when the bolt is racked) but it is cleverly designed to look the part and perform it as well. The dust cover flips open when you rack the charging handle just as many other AEGs do, but it looks more RS rather than a little flat piece of metal.

The trigger guard is a nice touch and is in the KAC gloved trigger guard styling. The guard has the same finish as the Gas block.

The body also features quick takedown pins similar to that of RS and GGBRs. However, If the receiver isn't properly aligned it can be relatively difficult to remove the pins. The pins do have a self locking design which means no more lost pins; they also won't magically fall out or become loose either.

Stock/Buffer tube assembly

The buffer tube is very nicely built and is very sturdy. The tube ring is extremely realistic and is very appealing to the eye along with the rest of the gun. The tube has cuts on either side of the lower part of the tube to allow Crane stock batteries some space (i.e. wiring and what not).

The stock as mentioned before was the most disappointing part of the entire package. Now I'm not saying its a piece of ######, but I would expect better from KA. Mine had extra bits of plastic in some places and wobbled like a mofo. I added a strip of duct tape to the top of the buffer tube and that remedied the problem rather well. The tabs have double o-rings on them ensuring a nice grime free seal (not too sure about water though). The Stock overall has a nice texture to it that is comfortable to not only hold but also to rest against your cheek. The rubber butt pad is kind of a downer as well as it feels more like plastic rubber and less of rubber rubber (if that makes any sense :P ). There's 2 QD sling swivels on the crane stock as well and I wouldn't have any fears about my gun dropping while I have the swivels mounted there.

Anyway thats about it for now until I open 'er up (I kinda don't want to though :P ). If you have any questions feel free to post em up and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture time!!!

My Set up:

009-11.jpg

-Front to Back again-

Barrel and flash hider detail:

024-1.jpg

Gas block - Notice the finish of the metal and the 'filed' look:

003-18.jpg

URX trades:

011-4.jpg

Locking Button:

015.jpg

Front sight - Notice the UP symbol and the adjustment wheel:

016.jpg

Gas tube under the flip up sight - This differs from the G&P URX (I'll get some pics of that when that gun is back home fromt the shop:

017-1.jpg

Rail Covers - Left side is AGM, right is KA. Everything that should be plastic on the SR15 is made of this material (nylon fiber; extremely nice:

025-1.jpg

Body - Left:

010-6.jpg

Body - Right - Notice the bolt catch feature engaged:

013.jpg

Trades - Left:

003-17.jpg

Trades - Right:

002-15.jpg

Right Side Selector - Notice how it moves farther than the Safe/Auto Marking:

005-15.jpg

Mag Well - Notice the one piece metal hop:

018-1.jpg

Flip Up Rear Sight:

019-1.jpg

Flip Up Rear Sight - Adjustments:

020-1.jpg

Sight Aperature:

023-1.jpg

Self Locking Pins - Really neat feature:

022-1.jpg

Left Side Mag Release - Notice the amount of play:

027-1.jpg
028-1.jpg

Interesting. The floppiness you're seeing in the KA's left side ambi-mag release, I see in the VFC's right side bolt release.

The finish is nicer on the VFC although the RS SR15's finish is somewhere between the KA and VFC finish. The markings are definitely better on the VFC.

The right side bolt release on the KA looks beefier than the VFC's which is a plus for the KA. The VFC's is pretty thin.

Other than that, it sounds like the KA is almost a direct clone of the VFC. Is there any word yet on the MSRP? If it costs the same as the VFC, then I'm not really seeing any benefit to getting the KA.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to test it with PTS PMAGs as my VFC SR15 has no problems with them, but all my KA M4s do. If they're really tight in the KA SR15, then I may not bother getting the KA receiver sets. If they're fine, then I may be upgrading a lot of my guns with KA SR15 bodies soon.

Thanks for the info and pics!

Good initial review man!

I was am really looking forward to more pictures and possibly a field test :D

Definitely in the market for a good SR15 right now

Hopefully you'll get a chance to test it with PTS PMAGs as my VFC SR15 has no problems with them, but all my KA M4s do. If they're really tight in the KA SR15, then I may not bother getting the KA receiver sets. If they're fine, then I may be upgrading a lot of my guns with KA SR15 bodies soon.

Speaking from experience, the KA LaRue Tactical MBK I bought didn't really work well with the PMAGS.

he Magwell was way too small and you really had to give the PMAGS a good yank to pull them out.

Hopefully, the KA SR15 doesn't have this problem

-Shin

Speaking from experience, the KA LaRue Tactical MBK I bought didn't really work well with the PMAGS.

The magwell was way too small and you really had to give the PMAGS a good yank to pull them out.

Hopefully, the KA SR15 doesn't have this problem

That's what I'm worried about. :unsure:

Well speaking for the PMags, I'll see if I can to a shop down here and give em go. If its anything to go by my MAG midcaps slide in and out like a charm with minimal wobble but the KA and KWA mags wobble a lot.

@USCM: I contacted the guys over at KA again to see if they could give me an MSRP; I'm waiting for a response.

@L2S: Anything you want me to take pictures of specifically?

what interests me is if the those KA m7's have the PMAG issue, since they come with them....

They have the same problem. I have one so I know first hand. And it wasn't a lemon, as it's a commonly reported issue.

Well I'm sure the KA PMAGS fit fine, but its the PTS mags that are an issue?

The KA PMAGs are the PTS PMAGs. The PMAGs that come with the KA guns are regular PTS 120BB midcap PMAGs. Even the new KA hicap PMAGs use PTS PMAG shells but with KA internals.

Edited by uscmCorps
Do VFC SR-16's have an issue with PMAG's? I'm in the market for an SR-16, and I'm slightly favoring the VFC at the moment. The only thing that could tip me over to a KA would be the price tag.

The VFC SR16/SR15's do NOT have problems with PMAGs. Whether or not the KA will have problems depends on how closely they followed the VFC design.

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to clarify something;

This gun is NOT the production version, it is only a review sample which is why the quality of some parts aren't top notch.

About the wobbly stock issue, its been fixed by KA for the final production version but I'm still waiting to hear what they'll do about the other issues with this model.

Being that this is their product, I'm just wondering how unbiased they will be about reporting back whether or not the PMAGs fit. I'm REALLY hoping they're fine ... it'd suck to be told they're GTG and then later find out the mag well is too tight for them. With as many guns as I have, I'd rather make the gun fit around the mags properly more so than modify the mags to fit in that one gun.

Any chance you can take the gun to a friend that has 120 round PTS PMAGs, or to a local store that has them, and test the gun yourself? :detective2:

Any chance you can take the gun to a friend that has 120 round PTS PMAGs, or to a local store that has them, and test the gun yourself? :detective2:

Thats what I was planning on doing (taking them to a shop, no one has PMAGS down here... well, STAR ones maybe) but I highly doubt they'll let me try it. Also, of the three airsoft shops down here only one carries PMAGs and they're the STAR type :(

I put up a thread on a local forum to see if someone who has PTS PMAGs will meet up with me.