A-TACS (Advanced TActical Concealment System) Camo

kodiak22

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

neat stuff, but those pics definitely shoped lol you can tell by the lighting differences between the foreground (the guy and the debris hes standing on) and the background (iraqi buildings? lol)

im interested to see more too though :)

Doesn't look Photoshopped to me, and I study both graphic design (Which includes use of Photoshop and other digital manipulation software) and Photography. Looks like a low depth of field, which has resulted in the dude in the camo being in-focus, and the background quite badly out of focus. I also don't see any other manipulation anywhere else in the image.

In my opinion, the photograph looks a bit funky because of the camouflage pattern playing tricks with your eyes and mind, and thats gotta be a good thing.

Furthermore, I trust the guys at Lightfighter when they say that was taken at a training facility in the States.

I have to say that i was impressed by the first photo but the second just screamed photoshop at me as soon as i saw it. Maybe i'm wrong about it but the colour of the background and subject seems to have been messed with enough that it looks really unnatural :-S

Either way, from the blurb it has the same design features as CADPAT so if this works in arid as well as CADPAT works in temperate the they might be onto a winner. I also don't buy the "Organic pixel" thing. If they're close enough to see the individual pixels i don't think a pattern is going to help them not see you :) it's more likely just a "feature" to make their pattern stand out from other digital patterns.

Saw this on another forum. I think the pics are real, slightly enhanced maybe but that doesnt take away the fact that you want it! Would like to see it in some Temperate climate conditions to see how well it does. Certainly does the job in the pics supplies, even if they have played with the pics.

When and Where is all I want to know as its on my shopping list! :)

While I appreciate the camoflague pattern, I am interested in the stock on that gun. I checked magpulls website but didnt see it listed. Perhaps something new as that is the Remington ACR?

Its not new, its just the fixed stock for the ACR, and that's why its not listed on Magpuls website, because the ACR isn't out yet.

I have to say that i was impressed by the first photo but the second just screamed photoshop at me as soon as i saw it. Maybe i'm wrong about it but the colour of the background and subject seems to have been messed with enough that it looks really unnatural :-S

One of the guys working on the pattern said these pics are real over on lightfighter.

I forgot to mention in my last post, im seeing people say its a universal pattern, or its arid terrain specific. Here is a quote from Soldier Systems.

A-TACS® is designed as a universal pattern for a wide range of operational environments with additional supporting color and design variants to follow. The current pattern uses a tan base and is tuned for use in arid environments.

Hope this helps a bit.

There's nothing to suggest that the pictures aren't real. They are real in that a model/soldier posed for them in the an enviroment and a photograph was taken :) However it looks to me like the color and intensities in the photo were then played around with to give a better indication of performance than the original. This doesn't mean that the pattern isn't good or doesn't work, it just annoys me when i think pattern designers resort to photo manipulation to market a pattern.

Doesn't look Photoshopped to me, and I study both graphic design (Which includes use of Photoshop and other digital manipulation software) and Photography. Looks like a low depth of field, which has resulted in the dude in the camo being in-focus, and the background quite badly out of focus. I also don't see any other manipulation anywhere else in the image.

In my opinion, the photograph looks a bit funky because of the camouflage pattern playing tricks with your eyes and mind, and thats gotta be a good thing.

Furthermore, I trust the guys at Lightfighter when they say that was taken at a training facility in the States.

Thanks for the info McArthur, I know alot of doods like to throw out the PS claim alot...and most don't know anything about photography or Photoshop. I can't wait for more pictures of this pattern and in different climates and enviroments.

I have several years of photography experience, and I'm not saying the picture is altered because the background is out of focus. Its the extreme line of definition between the foreground and the background that makes it look altered to me. I've taken plenty of pictures where the focus is adjusted for just the foreground, and you don't get anywhere near that line of definition between the two

I have several years of photography experience, and I'm not saying the picture is altered because the background is out of focus. Its the extreme line of definition between the foreground and the background that makes it look altered to me. I've taken plenty of pictures where the focus is adjusted for just the foreground, and you don't get anywhere near that line of definition between the two

I completely agree, the DOF seems way too unnatural and defined for the background not to be artificial. The pattern does strike some interest to me though and I look forward to any news about it.

Each branch of what?

No one has adopted this and no one is looking at it. At least not yet.

Yes, the (US) Army is looking at a new pattern... specifically for deployment in Afghanistan. Even if UCP-D or MultiCam or A-TACS is adopted, it won't be service-wide. And even if the Army adopts it, the Marines, Air Force, and Navy will continue along their own, happy little courses.

In any case, the camouflage should be matched to the environment, not to the branch of service.

Each branch of what?

No one has adopted this and no one is looking at it. At least not yet.

Yes, the (US) Army is looking at a new pattern... specifically for deployment in Afghanistan. Even if UCP-D or MultiCam or A-TACS is adopted, it won't be service-wide. And even if the Army adopts it, the Marines, Air Force, and Navy will continue along their own, happy little courses.

In any case, the camouflage should be matched to the environment, not to the branch of service.

The article does state that the US Military( my guess would be army only, but who knows) is interested in the pattern, that's what i what he was probably talking about.

Archived