Non-Spherical Projectiles In Airsoft

derf

Doesn't necessarily have to be 6mm. If a whole new system has to be built anyway to accommodate an NSP why not change the caliber.

It also could be made out of gelatin or rubber. What are the first strike paintball rounds made out of? Those are shooting hotter than 1 ft-lbs so the energy has to be going somewhere.

Ask around your local boards how most people feel about smaller projectiles.

Any conversation I have come across has been shot down from the get go. The eye protection widely used is modeled around a 6mm ball. Go smaller and the chance the projectile can penetrate a vent or sneak through a gap goes up.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lower Cd and more momentum may be enough to counteract the increased drag. I'm no physicist so this is all conjecture.

As for countries that restrict projectile energy they do sometimes make provisions for paintball which operate at roughly 10-13 J so there may be ways around the law.

What kind of device will these large streamlined projectiles be launched from?

paintbal guns of course

large frangible projectiles

im al for thinking outside the box but there is a point where its no longer airsoft

no one would use a projectile that requires an entire new gun

if you stick to 6 mm at least you can mod an existing gun to fire it

maybe 8 mm but even that will have even less supporters than the 6mm equivalent

paintbal guns of course

large frangible projectiles

im al for thinking outside the box but there is a point where its no longer airsoft

no one would use a projectile that requires an entire new gun

if you stick to 6 mm at least you can mod an existing gun to fire it

maybe 8 mm but even that will have even less supporters than the 6mm equivalent

I think the similarities between this and paintball end at the frangible projectiles. IOW it doesn't have to be .68 and it doesn't have to be marking. It just needs to deform on impact like a paintball.

An entirely new gun would (probably) be necessary anyway due to, if anything, changes in the loading design.

You're talking about the airfins I'm guessing? Yeah, they turned out to be junk. (AFAIK it was due to the projectile binding to the barrel and causing accuracy and velocity problems).

I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. I mean I bet the first automobile, the first self-contained cartridge or the first steam engine was gimmicky junk also.

I think the similarities between this and paintball end at the frangible projectiles. IOW it doesn't have to be .68 and it doesn't have to be marking. It just needs to deform on impact like a paintball.

An entirely new gun would (probably) be necessary anyway due to, if anything, changes in the loading design.

if you want to fire large projectiles paintball guns are the ony viable solution

a new gun isn't necessary as long as its 6mm you can shoot it out of gas shotguns and breach loaders without any modification

actually it would work in any gas single shot weapon i can think of (you can take a tanaka l96 turn of the hop up use the stock mag and breach load each round )

if you want to go up in seize you can use 8 mm but then it can only be use in a 8mm shot gun or smokey's barrett afiak

if you want to fire large projectiles paintball guns are the ony viable solution

Paintball guns fire .68 caliber balls through a smoothbore barrel. I don't think that is the "only viable solution."

I think that if a manufacturer decides to take on this problem they need to start from the projectile and work their way up. First find something that is ballistically superior to hopped 6mm BB's and won't cause injury then build a gun around that.

Paintball guns fire .68 caliber balls through a smoothbore barrel. I don't think that is the "only viable solution."

no one would buy entire new guns and would they even be legal, could you use them against airsofters, would sites allow them.

as i said before where does it stop being airsoft and being something entirely new,

even in a ideal situation there would be thousands of people claiming that they are lethal (like those opaque bb) they would be banned pretty fast and the internet would be full of people who keep finding new reasons to hate them

Archived