TSI Tavor Four Part Video Review

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the pics of the TSI Tavor was released, people though it was a little chunky. These videos confirmed to me that the TSI is in fact out of spec. I mean, look at the way the guy holds the gun in the first video. He was using the trigger guard as a foregrip!

I am very confused by the tavor. I cant tell, in the pictures it looks like the fore section of the real tavor could be that large if you look closely at the space around the barrel and the trigger guard is like 2 inches thick on the real one but the grip itself still seems huge, very very wide. Idk, I was like 13 when I held a real one and it didnt feel massive, I fell in love with it at that age cause it was so nicely balanced to the rear...not so much with this one. Just doesnt have what I fell in love with on the real one. Sigh...guess ill try and return it and get the magpul ACR

How does this happen? Aren't they charging an arm-and-a-leg for these things... I feel like they tried to pull a JLS. "Let's make our own guns and roll with that". However unlike JLS, they failed miserably.

Exactly. (below is from the News forum)

Ouch.

Good review, if a little heavy handed.

The externals do seem both poorly designed and poorly made, which is a bit of a shock.

Echo 1 mechbox? Not necessarily a bad thing. If a high-end Gucci mechbox had been used, the gun would cost (a lot) more than it does.

Mechbox jammed: yeah, using an (apparently barely charged) Intellect stick pack.

Plastic hop-up, not necessarily a bad thing neither.

I can't help but compare this gun with the JLS RX4, another unique AEG model designed from scratch. The RX4 is also mostly plastic, but extremely beefy and solid with no creaky, frail bits and weird assembly with tiny screws and parts that break off. To get to the battery, you remove one huge nut, no tools needed. To remove the upper receiver, you punch out one big pin. Complete takedown to the mechbox is done via the removal of 4 philips machine screws.

The hop-up is of poor quality (aftermarket 2-piece M4 hop-up recommended), but the mechbox is brilliant, good motor.

Overall an impressively successful design, and a well-made final product, definitely way better than what I'm seeing in these videos. Which is a little worrying since the RX4 is a cheap chinese gun and the TSI Tavor is an expensive Gucci gun.

I am very confused by the tavor. I cant tell, in the pictures it looks like the fore section of the real tavor could be that large if you look closely at the space around the barrel and the trigger guard is like 2 inches thick on the real one but the grip itself still seems huge, very very wide. Idk, I was like 13 when I held a real one and it didnt feel massive, I fell in love with it at that age cause it was so nicely balanced to the rear...not so much with this one. Just doesnt have what I fell in love with on the real one. Sigh...guess ill try and return it and get the magpul ACR

Yeah. TBH, when I posted earlier, I had no idea it was you that was on the video :) Though from your video, it seems that the thing is out of proportion. If not the large front, then it has to be something else.

Wow, just... wow... Watched this lot, and the disappointment is palpable. How much did you pay for this thing?

If this was marketed at clone prices, it would still be hard to swallow, by the looks of it. Shame, as I like the Tavor, and TSI always seemed to produce such great stuff...

Yeesh... =/

I got 1 question for the reviewer - why being disappointed BEFORE you opened the box ? From the very start, you looked tense and ###### off; that's hardly a healthy attitude to expect from someone who's paid big $$$ for something he's been long time waiting for.

And I'm not even starting referring to your vast technical knowledge you publicly demonstrated by totally ignoring the product's guide (unless you knew EXACTLY how the AEG was built and were operating out of experience) and using a gawddamn pocket knife to take it apart :rolleyes:

What? The OP just seems excited at first, he obviously wanted to be the first one out with a video review of what he expected to be an amazing gun.

Yes, he should have checked the CD for instructions, but it's not like it would have prevented the problems. He just used the knife to undo a philips screw, no harm done in that.

Then I suggest you watch the review again and pay close attention to his expression.

I won't start conspiracy theories, but this review has zero credibility in my book simply due to a fact that it's uncertain whether the box was opened prior to the filming. There are also other things that point to the utter lack of knowledge/understanding of the reviewer, starting with the lack of proper tools (seriously, why not use a hammer instead of a pocket knife ? It's not like it would have prevented the problems, aye ?) and 'let's poke this thing there and see what comes out' attitude, and ending with non-coherent mumbling instead of clear statements. But what puzzles me the most is, WHY NOT TRYING TO SOLVE IT DIRECTLY WITH THE MANUFACTURER FIRST, BEFORE COMING OUT WITH STATEMENTS ?

Seriously, these kind of 'reviews' are dime a dozen thanks to YouTube's free hosting. So far, it's the 1st negative review on TSI products and I find it VERY hard to believe that young man's been lucky enough to get the ONLY lemon.

WHY NOT TRYING TO SOLVE IT DIRECTLY WITH THE MANUFACTURER FIRST, BEFORE COMING OUT WITH STATEMENTS ?

Because he recieved it like that, and this is important.

If I was doing a review on a car and it arrived with a broken windscreen and on fire, that kind of thing would get mentioned.

Same here.

I did, he seems excited.

Utter lack of knowledge/understanding: because this gun is only for experts, I guess? Only get this gun if you designed it yourself, folks.

Lack of clear statements: it's a documentation of an excited customer's initial impressions, so of course it's not all scripted and planned.

First negative review of a TSI product: yes, shocking, and I'm sure the OP was as shocked as you and everybody else. I'm sure that's why he thought it was important to get it out there quickly.

Yes, maybe it's a lemon. Contender for the worst lemon in the history of airsoft, which at the very least shows a serious lack of QC.

If a manufacturer wants to avoid bad publicity, it's generally a good idea to avoid shipping bad products.

Bottom line, the gun looks terrible and seems to be of a fundamentally flawed design. Maybe there's a logical explanation, maybe the OP received some early experimental prototype by mistake? I truly hope so. If this was an ACM gun, who would've cared? But this is TSI, one of the good guys. So we care about what they offer. In this case, a slap in the face.

I got 1 question for the reviewer - why being disappointed BEFORE you opened the box ? From the very start, you looked tense and ###### off; that's hardly a healthy attitude to expect from someone who's paid big $$$ for something he's been long time waiting for.

And I'm not even starting referring to your vast technical knowledge you publicly demonstrated by totally ignoring the product's guide (unless you knew EXACTLY how the AEG was built and were operating out of experience) and using a gawddamn pocket knife to take it apart :rolleyes:

No matter how badly he may or may not have disassembled the thing it's a simple fact that the build quality is rubbish. Also do you work for TSI or something?

I'll address ea one of you in order of appearance:

so far it's the only review on youtube regarding the TSI Tavor.

So far TSI came out with 4 product lines, and Tavor is only one of 'em. There's a metric ton of similar 'reviews' on YouTube done on different AEGs, but by the same category of teenage attention whores.

Because he recieved it like that, and this is important.

If I was doing a review on a car and it arrived with a broken windscreen and on fire, that kind of thing would get mentioned.

Same here.

1st off, like I said - there's no way to know if the AEG indeed arrived broken. That 'look at the box, I just got it' ###### is ridiculous. And if I was doing a review on the car with a broken windscreen and on fire, I would a) contact the manufacturer firsthand about the windshield and not run grabbing my camcorder in order to spew another BS story on YouTube; B) contact the SHIPPING COMPANY and settle the 'on fire' issue with 'em. If the UPS guy dropped the box at his porch and something got broken inside, who's there to blame - the manufacturer or the UPS guy ?

Ya know, there's a website in US called resellerratings.com, it deals exclusively in reviews of different companies/manufacturers. One of the OBLIGATORY things a reviewer should provide once he chooses to post there, is an order #. Then he proceeds to EXPLAINING how and when he dealt with the company in question and what was the outcome. What we all seen here so far was both blatant ignorance on the part of the reviewer and his miserable failure at communication with the manufacturer.

I did, he seems excited.

Utter lack of knowledge/understanding: because this gun is only for experts, I guess? Only get this gun if you designed it yourself, folks.

Lack of clear statements: it's a documentation of an excited customer's initial impressions, so of course it's not all scripted and planned.

First negative review of a TSI product: yes, shocking, and I'm sure the OP was as shocked as you and everybody else. I'm sure that's why he thought it was important to get it out there quickly.

Yes, maybe it's a lemon. Contender for the worst lemon in the history of airsoft, which at the very least shows a serious lack of QC.

If a manufacturer wants to avoid bad publicity, it's generally a good idea to avoid shipping bad products.

Lemme rephrase and break it down for ya. You buy a thing you hardly know how to use; you try to take it apart, breaking parts in the process; you use inappropriate tools and make yourself look like a sad clown. Nah, the gun ain't for the experts - but if you do NOT possess at least SOME technical knowledge, do NOT attempt to look like an expert. In the review I posted earlier, notice it wasn't me who took the gun apart - it was Mr Ayal, since I didn't feel competent enough to tinker with something I had no clue about. Did I confuse you so far ?

I don't play those BS games, bub. It's either he had at least some idea what's he's talking about or he hadn't none. Maybe it'll come as a surprise to some, but there's a thing called 'template' and said 'templates' are being used in every aspect of daily life. You don't put on shoes without putting on your pants first, and you don't drive off before opening the garage door. Same here - he had the camera fixed on the tripod, but apparently didn't know what's he's gonna do next. As a result, he ended up breaking things that weren't broken prior to the filming, he publicly voided his AEG's warranty (something he could've avoided IF he bothered to read the manual before poking the gun with his POS pocket knife) and generally came out as a complete tool. If that lousy excuse for a review scared someone off, they shouldna ordered from TSI in the first place - who knows, maybe the color tint won't match their expectations and they'll go hysterical about it ?

Last, but not the least - I don't believe in coincidence. Instead, I believe in tendencies. The general tendency for TSI AEGs so far was that it's hi-quality, rock solid products - that being supported by the ZERO negative reviews on their products since the 1st Galil was shipped to a happy customer. I believe there's enough people on these boards who bought the TAR, and if every other one of 'em will come out with a negative feedback, that'll be something to think about. Until then, I call BS.

Bottom line - don't judge anything 'til you actually held it in your hands. I, for once, did - did you ?

Done insulting the OP? He's perfectly entitled to express his opinion and as the only one of us with a Tavor, the most qualified to give his opinion. He may not have expressed it in the best way but we're not idiots and I'm not going to accept the OP's as law anyway. But until someone else posts a review it's the only one we've got.

I'll address ea one of you in order of appearance:

So far TSI came out with 4 product lines, and Tavor is only one of 'em. There's a metric ton of similar 'reviews' on YouTube done on different AEGs, but by the same category of teenage attention whores.

Ow wait, I thought you said you did not play BS games? :mellow:

Okay I'm convinced, the gun is awesome. *orders*

Jesus christ, lol. Qulevra's actually starting to do TSI a disservice by being so fiercely defensive about an overtly substandard product. I find that suspicious.

*Yawn*

My mate ordered one, I'll just wait and see...

My first VFC was a complete lemon too, was one of the very first scars ( Gen 1 ).

I barely see anyone complaining about their vfc scar though.

It just happens, sort it out.

Sometimes its a bad product, sometimes it's just plain bad luck.

Lets just wait for more reviews, shall we? :)

(FarEast? ^^ )

PS. I do kind of feel for the OP though. But it's kind of why I stopped being an early adopter. Hope the kid learned his lessons.

( no offence intended, it's just a common lesson of life, we all learn it eventually )

Wow, just... wow... Watched this lot, and the disappointment is palpable. How much did you pay for this thing?

If this was marketed at clone prices, it would still be hard to swallow, by the looks of it. Shame, as I like the Tavor, and TSI always seemed to produce such great stuff...

Yeesh... =/

653$ INCLUDING shipping and taxes, but they are in southern california and I am too...