How tight is too tight

Smith5

This is most definately a newbie question...

Im going to my first proper CQB-esque game soon and have gifted myself an early christmas present in the form of a flashligh + laser combo unit and a RIS barrel clamp/mount for my AUG to put it on. My question is, how tight is too tight? Obviously I want it to be tight with no movement between the barrel and mount, but I don't want to screw it on too tight and deform the inner barrel. I dont know if there is a gap between outer barrel and inner barrel so cant really make an informed guess. Can anyone lay my mind to rest that I haven't damage my AEG?

*Snicker*

Lube it.

/stupidity.

Just tighten up the clamp enough with your hands, and then give it just one more turn, so you know it won't fall off, but it won't crimp your whole barrel.

I think crimping a solid piece of metal is pretty hard to do anyways, so it's really up to you on how tightened you get it to be.

Depends really on how the clamp works.

My first thought, however, is that you'll probably strip a thread or snap something on the laser before you get anywhere near damaging the barrel so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Never underestimate the ability for stuff to work loose while airsofting.

It's amazing how often scopes and lasers and silencers will be found to be loose when you return to the SZ.

You don't want to treat them with kid gloves.

If the item has a thumb-screw fastener tighten it simply so it wont turn any further when you're turning it with a finger and thumb.

If the item uses allen screws I'd suggest you put the long end of the allen key into the screw then turn the short end so you can't tighten it any more with a finger and thumb.

With allen screws, particularly, if you fit the short end of the allen key into the screw and turn the long end you'll definitely have enough leverage that you'll either mangle the head of the allen screw or you'll strip the thread.

My final tip would be to either line the inside of the barrel clamp with black electrical tape or wrap a single layer of electrical tape around the barrel before fitting the laser.

If you're wrapping tape around the barrel, make sure you never allow it to overlap. Just a single, evenly-applied, layer.

The tape will stop the laser scratching the barrel and will supply a tiny bit of "give" that'll help when tightening the laser onto the barrel.

Archived