First off, thanks to BadAsstronaut for adding this to his last order from Den. Price for the bayonet without shipping costs is £10. I believe Airsoft Scotland stock the same item for about £12, should you require a UK retailer. Apologies for lack of pictures, they'll (hopefully!) follow tomorrow.

Right, first off, the bayonet arrives in a nice enough box, decorated with pictures of the bayonet itself and some of the manufacturers other items. It might be worth noting they also do an M7 bayonet, for those of you who’d prefer a slightly more classical bayonet shape to your blade. The box is certainly long enough to hold the bayonet, so lead to my surprise with this: it’s a self-assembly kit.

Inside the box I found: the plastic scabbard assembled (but not screwed together yet); the rubber blade itself; the components for the handle; the fabric belt loop; a small bag of screws and one spring; and the instructions for assembly.

Let’s be honest: if you can’t put this together, airsoft is not the hobby for you. It’s a piece of cake. As I mentioned, the two pieces of the scabbard were already assembled, and merely required the screws to be inserted and tightened. Next, the mock wire-cutter is assembled out of two pieces, screwed together and screwed onto the scabbard. Then the fabric belt loop is secured with a final three screws.

The bayonet itself is no more of a challenge. The plastic pieces are simply removed from the plastic holder, trimmed with a sharp knife (I used my ever trusty, never rusty Leatherman blade) and fitted together. On finishing assembly, the only metal components on the bayonet are the main screw holding the handle together and a spring for the bayonet mount. Thanks to a spring-loaded clip, this can be fitted to an M16/M4/Armalite rifle. So far, it has fitted a Well series M16 springer, but did not fit a Kangnam Colt Commando springer. On testing with TM and Cybergun XM177s, it would seem you may need to trim the fitting on the bayonet a little, but nothing that should prove a problem.

The scabbard, once assembled, features a belt loop as well as four slots, two either side, should you wish to strap this onto your tac vest. There is also a velcro fastening retaining strap to prevent the bayonet from leaving the scabbard unintentionally. As noted before, there is a mock wire-cutter attachment. The bayonet features a hole in the blade, allowing you to assemble bayonet and scabbard into a fake wire-cutter. In case you need to cut any fake wire. ;)

The bayonet is incredibly light. I weighed it on a set of kitchen scales and found it to be about 100g. The rubber blade has no solid core, so bends easily if you attempt to stab anything. I also sawed merrily away at my arm with both edges of the blade with no ill effect. Short of deliberately ramming the point of the blade into someone’s eye, it would be incredibly difficult to do any damage with this.

So, is it worth getting? I’d say so, yes. Probably not worth ordering on its own, but certainly worth adding to an order if the retailer stocks them. A few people have asked what they’re for. Well, they look cool. No respectable skirmish site is going to let you wander round with a real bayonet or knife on your kit. But if you ask nicely, and show them how safe it is, you might get away with one of these. Consider how much of your gear and guns you don’t “need.” Wouldn’t a KWA Glock 19 have served just as well as that pistol you bought at twice the price? Did you need a second AEG for CQB? Do you really get the use out of that £75 holster? We spend money on a lot of stuff for looks. This is one of the cheaper pointless things you can buy.

Oh, it’s also good for those MGS3 moments round the house. You never know when you might want to interrogate the cat at knifepoint. :D

I have to say I was impressed when I handled Sledge's in AA.

I'm not saying a word.

Excellent stuff. I was meant to be getting one of these this month for a bit of fun, but the more boring fundementals got in the way of my spending (dammit). Just one question; how would you go about attaching a bayonet to a P90? ;)

Fake wire, would that be that yummy strawberry licorice string type gummi candy? If so, I'd use my real teeth rather than a fake knife to cut it. :P

Unless some animal had whizzed or puked on it or something.

I'm not saying a word.

Excellent stuff. I was meant to be getting one of these this month for a bit of fun, but the more boring fundementals got in the way of my spending (dammit). Just one question; how would you go about attaching a bayonet to a P90? ;)

Now there's a product nobody's come up with yet. A rail mount bayonet lug!

• 2 weeks later...
ROFL - If I didn't know you were joking, I'd be in serious doubt as to the stability of your marbles ;) A Rail mounted bayonet lug, indeed *guffaw* :rofl:

Laugh all you want. You know full well that if it hit the market, it would be sold out in days. Many kids are running out of accessories to put on the ever-increasing rail real estate on current guns. I caught a guy attempting to mount a blender to an M4 last week.

• 3 weeks later...