ARES Tavor TAR-21 - First Impressions

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's TAR21 Dark Earth, not Tan. The RW picture is significantly lighter than the actual gun.

Yeah I've seen it in mong kok and its definately darker then that. Black bits aren't as shiny either.

Also the dark earth bits look quite textured in real life, not as smooth as that.

Edited by Josiah
  • 2 weeks later...

My Ares Tavor Dark Earth arrived today from Redwolf Airsoft.

The weapon looks great.

Here is a picture with a real Meprolight (not mine...sadly).

15122009030.jpg

Sorry, my cell phone camera is not good in low light situations.

And this is a Close up of the barrel without the flash hider.

16122009036.jpg

The Dark Earth outer barrel is about 100mm longer than the Ctar, and the DE inner barrel ends where the flash hider thread starts.

The Ctar inner barrel measures 407mm that means the DE inner barrel is about 500mm length :) .

Total length of the Tavor DE 790mm (including Flash hider)

My Ares Tavor Dark Earth arrived today from Redwolf Airsoft.

The weapon looks great.

Here is a picture with a real Meprolight (not mine...sadly).

Sorry, my cell phone camera is not good in low light situations.

And this is a Close up of the barrel without the flash hider.

The Dark Earth outer barrel is about 100mm longer than the Ctar, and the DE inner barrel ends where the flash hider thread starts.

The Ctar inner barrel measures 407mm that means the DE inner barrel is about 500mm length :) .

Total length of the Tavor DE 790mm (including Flash hider)

awesome looking man! Tell us how it shoots?? Good hop? Accurate? That is one LONGGGG inner barrel!!! I'm thinking marksman with that kinda length...ohh fun.

I like it - it looks great.

Looks like you'll easily get a 509mm aftermarket barrel in there, if required

Edit: How much does the barrel flex under load? With the CTAR version, the outer barrel is only supported at the gearbox end, so there's a bit of flex if you tweak it hard enough (although in fairness, only my Real Sword Type 97's outer barrel doesn't flex at all).

Edited by The Reptile House

Ok, I did a short test in my backyard.

Shot a 20 x 20 cm hard surface at 25 m (82 ft) with .25g ICS, 11.1v Lipo and no wind.

At first bbs were flying too high. Just a little hop-up adjustment and problem solved, straight to the target.

So far so good.

The real test is going to take place this Sunday when I will be having the opportunity to see this tavor side by side with a couple of Ares Ctar.

According to Ares tester, the gun is firing at 339 fps (103.3 m/s) with .2g. The ROF is definitely over 20 rounds per second with the lipo.

img3107a.jpg

...and with a nice acm micro aimpoint XDDDD

img3110as.jpg

Edit: How much does the barrel flex under load? With the CTAR version, the outer barrel is only supported at the gearbox end, so there's a bit of flex if you tweak it hard enough (although in fairness, only my Real Sword Type 97's outer barrel doesn't flex at all).

Nothing, no flexion. The barrel is very solid but I'm not going to try to tweak it harder until flex :D

Edited by Disajim
The barrel in mine is fixed in place like the CTAR. This way below the front end of the upper rail.

img3118a.jpg

And the other support is below the rear sight.
But I have no lateral movement at all (side to side, up or down) and no twist.

This is the further I'm going to disassemble the gun. If it works don't fix it…….. in this case don't open it. :P

I think Ares improved some parts of the gun, according with other CTAR reviews I saw on the net. For example the wiring is not soldered directly to the motor, now is plugged and the motor section is protected with a transparent thermo shrinkable sleeve.
Edited by Disajim
The barrel in mine is fixed in place like the CTAR. This way below the front end of the upper rail.

And the other support below the rear sight.

But I have no lateral movement at all (side to side, up or down) and no twist.

This is the further I'm going to disassemble the gun. If it works don't fix it…….. in this case don't open it. :P

I think Ares improved some parts of the gun, according with other CTAR reviews I saw on the net. For example the wiring is not soldered directly to the motor, now is plugged and the motor section is protected with a transparent thermo shrinkable sleeve.

God would it be to much to ask for them to do the same thing on the CTAR version? Ayy all I want is a perfectly working CTAR with a perfectly working Mars sight...That's just to much to ask for hu?

And the other support is below the rear sight.

Yeah - looks like it's fixed the same way - thanks for confirming. Edit: On mine there is a slight gap between the top of the barrel and the front support. I may think about wrapping the barrel with PTFE tape at that point, but it's no biggee.

Any chance of a pic of the thermo shrink sleeve? I think spade connectors are a good idea for quick disconnection, but a harder connection is better for other reasons. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Edited by The Reptile House

if only they did a CTAR with the top rail and the reenforcment for the barrel in black i'd probs sell nearly 90% of my kit to get one XD

but its nice to see some revisions and not just chucking a gun out and not doing anything to improve it :)

Edited by Warning
So did anyone answer what the heck that widget is on top of the gun is for? Aside from being a ridiculously oversized rear flip sight housing.

Its sort of like vegatables: nobody seems to actually know what they're for.

Do ya mean this? (its very poorly molded)

4038602788_fcc5f35572_b.jpg

This is actually a locking mechanism for sights and rails that slide onto the round button looking bit from the side and then ya turn it to sit straight so that it locks into those grooves. No idea if its going to be put to use on the airsoft (considering its so badly molded) one but thats its function on the real one., :)

Edited by beretta
if only they did a CTAR with the top rail and the reenforcment for the barrel in black i'd probs sell nearly 90% of my kit to get one XD

Like this?

http://www.tokyoarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=1930

Hristo pointed it out to me.

BTW - there is absolutely no difference in barrel reinforcement between models - that was just discussed :) .

Both are reinforced in two places. What I was saying was that mine has a slight amount of play at the front support - easily rectified with PTFE tape or suchlike.

Thanks Beretta, I was wondering about that bit too.

But what I'm really stumped on is the big monolith standing up on the right of your pic. I know it houses the flip up rear sight, but it just seems so.... I dunno, it just seems too beefy just to house a flip sight is all. I mean here's this well designed gun and then you have this concrete block apartment building of a sight house looming over the top of it.

So I figure its gotta serve some clever purpose that I'm just too stupid to figure out or find on the interwebz, yeah?

Edited by Hillslam

Maybe a bullpup expert will chip in...but don't most bullpups suffer from a long sight to bore distance, by design?

I guess IWI had to take it a bit further with the Tavor, so that you could co-witness with a MARS or whatever. I've no idea why they picked that particular monolith design, though.