ARES Tavor TAR-21 - First Impressions

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got mine, so a few initial observations/impressions:

Good:

Solidly built. And I mean SOLID.

Good weight. Not sure how it compares with the real thing but feels 'right'. I'm 5' 8" and it feels comfortable to shoulder if a little back-heavy (much like the L85).

Well made. I was expecting good things from TSI but average to poor on the ARES. How wrong I was! This is great quality. Although it's mainly carbon-fibre there's very little 'plasticky' feel to it. Surprising amount of metal parts, too. No rattles, creaks or wobbles.

Fixable:

MARS sight honestly isn't as bad as I've read. Mostly metal and seemingly well-built. Optics seem clear enough and not distorted as read elsewhere but a little dark (as expected though). Red dot/laser adjustments not instinctive but got there in the end.

Laser ok. Again, difficult to adjust but will be adequate for indoor CQB as intended.

ROF. I like realistic ROF but this feels quite slow on an 8.4 mini battery. Will have to ramp it up with a 9.6 I think.

Bad:

No printed manual.

Trigger. Nice and 'tight' - very positive. Response though seems poor. Trigger/fire delay very noticeable. Long travel. Not sure if this can be fixed.

Is there a mosfet in this thing?....

Overall:

Worth the RRP? Maybe not (just) but has potential. A must buy if you're into less common/exotic weapons. :)

I've had mine for quite awhile. True, it is pretty, but if one would examine the internals, it becomes obvious that the gearbox isn't that sturdy. The wiring is badly thought of, and the piston body isn't worth a salt. The main issue common to Tavor users is that more often, after a burst of full-auto, a second pull of the trigger will be a dudd, neccessitating an awkward re-working of the selector to "semi" and then back to "full auto" again before the full auto function re-engages. Eventually, the sub-standard micro-switch will give out. My gunsmith recently had to fabricate a better one. This coupled with a massive upgrade, finally produced a viable AEG (my Ares Tavor now clocks at a respectable 450 fps).

Edited by warspite

To guys who have done the mag release/spring mod, as depicted by bbstriker/Warning here...

Did you remove the release lever to do this and, if so, is it as simple as just knocking the pin out? Anything to watch out for?

Also, how do you get the spring to stay in place? Superglue, Araldite?

Cheers! :)

TRH

Some countries don't use a "respectable" 450fps as a benchmark for AEG viability.... :huh:

Forgive me if you misunderstood. The reliability problem I was talking about was in reference to the microswitch problem. I said "respectable", only insofar as the tavor has a 350fps out of the box performance. You also must understand that my countrymen's predeliction with firearms also reflects on Filipino's preference for higher FPS AEGs. It's not uncommon for totally unassuming AKs and M16 variants to have a 650 fps performance back here.

As to improvement over time, two of my team mates recently purchased their

Tavor from Hong Kong, and both are now suffering the same problem which use to plague my unit.

Edited by warspite

What he meant, is that FPS does not make a good gun. How is the Hop-Up? How is the accuracy? How is the trigger pull? How is the ergonomics? How is the reliability of the parts? And so on...

I would actually want to know about all of that if you are able to share that information.

As to improvement over time, two of my team mates recently purchased their Tavor from Hong Kong, and both are now suffering the same problem which use to plague my unit.

Oh, bad luck. I hope they get fixed. Mine is under warranty as I bought it in the UK, but no problems as yet :)

Edited by The Reptile House
What he meant, is that FPS does not make a good gun. How is the Hop-Up? How is the accuracy? How is the trigger pull? How is the ergonomics? How is the reliability of the parts? And so on...

I would actually want to know about all of that if you are able to share that information.

The hop-up's placement can be a bit cumbersome, specially when you want to replace the hop rubber/packing. Trigger pull is smooth. Ergonomics is a bit awkward compared to other bullpups like the L85 or the AUG, with the pistol grip too far forward (but then again most Filipinos have a short reach). The Gearbox isn't that well reinforced as compared to others and the tranparent piston body breaks easily. Unfortunately, the wiring isnt well thought of. The motor, spring and gears are respectable though.

To new purchasers, sure it may work well for now, but beware! Don't be lulled into complacency. More often, the Ares Tavor would start acting up.

Ergonomics is a bit awkward compared to other bullpups like the L85 or the AUG, with the pistol grip too far forward (but then again most Filipinos have a short reach).

That's an interesting point. I agree with you about the reach and I'm 6'. When I originally held the Tavor I thought the reach could be about an inch shorter - but now I'm more used to it, I don't notice it. Muscle memory, I guess.

That's an interesting point. I agree with you about the reach and I'm 6'. When I originally held the Tavor I thought the reach could be about an inch shorter - but now I'm more used to it, I don't notice it. Muscle memory, I guess.

Good for you. I on the otherhand, am still getting use to it. What Im praying for now, is a stronger after market gearbox. I recently made inquiries as to the availability of parts unique to the Ares Tavor, and I was horriified to discover that it is close to impossible to find any after market parts. One thing is for sure, Im not giving up on the Tavor. It looks too good for me to get rid of it. The Tavor and my L85/SA80 are my favorite AEGs.

I recently made inquiries as to the availability of parts unique to the Ares Tavor, and I was horriified to discover that it is close to impossible to find any after market parts.

Which of the parts unique to the ARES Tavor are you worried about? Unless more guns use that gearbox, it'd be unlikely that an aftermarket manufacturer would jump in and make the special parts.

Also, can you elaborate on what's wrong with your microswitch?

Could it be that your Tavor is having problems due to turning a 450 fps spring in there? Has anyone ran this at 400 fps and have no problems?

I'm really temped to get one, but as I would upgrade it to 400 fps, I'd like to know that it can take that kind of spring.

Good for you. I on the otherhand, am still getting use to it. What Im praying for now, is a stronger after market gearbox. I recently made inquiries as to the availability of parts unique to the Ares Tavor, and I was horrified to discover that it is close to impossible to find any after market parts. One thing is for sure, Im not giving up on the Tavor. It looks too good for me to get rid of it. The Tavor and my L85/SA80 are my favorite AEGs.

Why has your gearbox been damaged at all? And almost ALL ares parts are near impossible to get a hold of after market, though after having owned one of their guns and abusing it for months with no problems that does not seem to be a problem...for the most part!

Could it be that your Tavor is having problems due to turning a 450 fps spring in there? Has anyone ran this at 400 fps and have no problems?

I'm really temped to get one, but as I would upgrade it to 400 fps, I'd like to know that it can take that kind of spring.

Yeah my friend just popped an m120 gaurder spring in it and is popping right around 390ish after he fixed the seal