ARES Tavor TAR-21 - First Impressions

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be slighly OT, but which brand of L85 are you using?

You'll have to excuse my late reply. I've been pretty busy with court work lately. Anyway, to answer your query, I have a G&G L85A2. By the way, against my better judgment, I just placed an order for the Dark Earth Version of the Tavor. I want to try out the slightly longer barreled version. Also, Im glad to correspond with a Briton who enjoys the game. I'm a bit of an anglophile when it comes to military hardware and history. Suffice it to say that I've often visited The Imperial War Museum at Lambeth Road and Duxford. In fact, I'm visiting my sister who lives in Chelsea in a couple of months and would be glad to meet fellow airsoft enthusiasts.

Edited by warspite
Could it be that your Tavor is having problems due to turning a 450 fps spring in there? Has anyone ran this at 400 fps and have no problems?

I'm really temped to get one, but as I would upgrade it to 400 fps, I'd like to know that it can take that kind of spring.

At first I thought about that (the possibility of the upgrade messing up the unit), but after the microswitch replacement, my unit has been performing admirably. Nay, on the contrary, my teammates' malfunctioning new tavors have not received any major upgrades, save for replacing the fragile stock piston body.

For a spring, Im using a Guarder SP140, although it's a bit of a risk with respect to the less than sturdy gearbox. I suggest you use a PDI 190 or a Guarder SP 130 and their equivalents instead.

Edited by warspite
Which of the parts unique to the ARES Tavor are you worried about? Unless more guns use that gearbox, it'd be unlikely that an aftermarket manufacturer would jump in and make the special parts.

Also, can you elaborate on what's wrong with your microswitch?

I was mainly referring to the mechbox. That means in my country, if my tavor's gearbox breaks, my tavor will pretty much end up as a paperweight on my desk. The micro-switch is of sub-standard quality not quite up to the job (probably supplied by some subcontracting Hong Kong based sweat shop). It's the main cause of the infamous and dreade semi and auto malfunctions.

Edited by warspite

I just received my ARES Tavor, the short black version (otherwise known as the CTAR), and i have to say that the externals are awesome! It feels like you are holding a real gun. Everything is sturdy as hell. I cant make it creak. I cant say much about its accurracy or performance as there is so much snow outside that i cant see the BBs... Other than that it is a real joy to handle. I just need an aiming device...

Placed yesterday my order for the Dark Earth Ares Tavor on eHobby Asia, since I'm in Japan. I already really wanted the CTAR one, but the TAR dark earth with 50$ less just killed me, I had to get that one, I'm a dark earth gun addict, even painted my G36 ^^.

Thanks a lot to all to share your reviews, helped me a lot knowing what to expect (especially regarding the mag issue). I'll try to make a proper review once I receive it.

While browsing through the Tavor reviews, I encountered the review of the TSI one... my my my, what a cluster**** was the thread of its review... I hope I'll be happy with the Ares !

After disappointment with TSI, I rebought ARES Tavor, this time the railed version (no MARS, but with scope rail and accessory rail on the right side). Had a MEPRO-21 around so it makes a very authentic early Tavor (look at the ones on assembly line in Future Weapons, for example).

Not to repeat myself, but the rifle is overall excellent, sturdy, ergonomic, accurate, except for a few problems: too soft mag catch spring and slight flex of the barrel. I cured both in a matter of 20 minutes, placing a stiff spring behind the mag catch, and some electrical tape around the outer barrel where it is held inside the body (near the pistol grip).

I also placed 8mm bearings at the sector and spur gear (bevel gear already has bearings), reshimmed the gun (stock shim job was quite bad), put in Classic Army all metal teeth piston (it works without modifying), Guarder M4/SR16 nozzle (improves seal compared to stock one). I am still waiting for G&P M160 short motor, some silver wires, Cheetah MOSFET and Prometheus 6.03 barrel. Not all of those are needed, but couldn't hurt.

IDF sling is a good addition, especially as it readily fits the rear sling hole:

post-21299-1263380521_thumb.jpg

Zahal Sayeret sling in one-point stylee. Honestly, these slings rock. I'm not affecting a particular loadout - these slings work so well I'm using them on all my AEGs. Plus, Zahal's customer service is great. Excellent comms and fast shipping. My last one only took a few days to arrive.

001-23.jpg

Edit: eventually managed the mag release mod. I didn't remove the mag lever, just dropped the spring in when optimum spring length was established (which in fairness was done by Ryan220 who has just bought a CTAR and donated the spring).

Edited by The Reptile House

I have one of the Dark Earth models going through processing right now, and all I have is 9.6v batteries, anyone got anything good/bad to say about a 9.6v battery running through one of these?

I also want to run Magpul 120 rnd Pmags through this, does anyone know if these feed fine in the Ares Tavor? I saw someone saying that they don't fit, but I've seen pictures here that are to the contrary. If they aren't so hot in the Tavor I'm thinking of 120 rnd or 190 rnd MAG brand mags.

Pmags fit fine too, both PTS and Green Label.

It's weird, mine is actually a little to shallow for the PTS, I need to push real hard and sometimes push the tab by hand to insurance it's holding. Maybe it's only the DE ones ? At least all the mags are quite tight fit in there, no wobbling around.

I have heard that there was some mag wobble in the black tavors, maybe they tightened up the magwell in the DE version? Can any of you black tavor owners confirm this?

Pmags dont wobble so much, but not exactly tight either,., heres what its like on normal Mag/TM/Dboys mags.

I doubt there's any difference between the mag wells of the two variants, apart from the colour. All the Tavors I've seen, both black and FDE, have mag wobble with certain mags, but that's easily fixed with DrKalinka's method, or using the fuzzy side of velcro in the mag well itself.

Edit: I own a CTAR (black) and there is a fair bit of wobble with the brand of mags I use. However, it does not affect feeding. A mate of mine has fixed his using the velcro method.

Edited by The Reptile House
I doubt there's any difference between the mag wells of the two variants, apart from the colour. All the Tavors I've seen, both black and FDE, have mag wobble with certain mags, but that's easily fixed with DrKalinka's method, or using the fuzzy side of velcro in the mag well itself.

Well all I can say is that there is no wobble at all on my DE one, from the included mag, to my other ACM mags, non of them wobble unless I manually push them (there's a bit of room on the thickness side of the magwell for that).

And again, my PMAG are a tight fit, so tight that I thought they wouldn't even get in the first time.

I don't own a CTAR (black), but comparing this video and what I heard to my TAR (DE), it looks like they changed that. With a PMAG in, I have no wobble whatsoever, 0, nada, nothing. With an ACM one, by shaking hard I guess I could make the mag move a little, but still far from the video. I'll check again when I get home.