Pro: Nice brown color. Soft, slightly stretchy outer shell. Looks nice (got several compliments when I wore it to work). Useful pit zips and rear vent. Unique zipper pulls on the front three zips.

Con: Dozens of loose threads, and a couple of badly botched stitches--particularly ugly one right on the cuff. The fleece lined hood is awkward and far too bulky to stuff into the collar; I'm tempted to slice it off. The inner zip pockets and the device pouch in the front pockets are "stacked" on top of each other in the center creating a weird looking bulge. The collar is annoyingly tall thanks to the giant hood.

I wear an Large-Long ACU, and ordered the Condor in XL. Just as you would expect it's somewhat baggy but fits my gorilla arm length just fine. The full fleece lining is nice but too far hot for strenuous activity. The hood and pockets should have definitely been unlined.

I would love to see an unlined version for more versatility; but I do live in a pretty temperate climate. If you play in the snow you'll probably love it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought one of these jackets.

A combat test is awaits but yesterday I had an occasion to test it in cold and wind.

I got a break down on a highway and I had to swap a wheel while cars were going next to me with 130 KM/H in 4-7 celsius. My legs were shaking like hell, my hands were cold but where the jacket protected me I was not cold. It's a really fine product!

And it's too hot to wear in a car while driving...

There is going to be a 2-day event in January where I'm relly going to put it to the test. I hope it won't let me down or that will be the longest event in my life.

Edited by emp3ror86
  • 4 weeks later...

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Jan 19 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering what the sizing is like on these guy's? I'm 6ft, slim/medium build. Normally have medium size t-shirts/jackets etc? Would they medium be ok or do these come up small?

+1 for me, I'm about 6ft 3in, med build too...just so it doesnt ride up the back I'm presuming a large would do?

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Jan 19 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering what the sizing is like on these guy's? I'm 6ft, slim/medium build. Normally have medium size t-shirts/jackets etc? Would they medium be ok or do these come up small?

You sound like the same size as me, and I got a large sized one and it fits great.

Has anyone had extensive experience with the water proof aspect of these jackets? Because both my friend and I have one, and we were at a game the other day that was pouring rain, and it seems his zippers let in more water than mine did. Are the zippers hit and miss or do they just wear off?

I haven't noticed any water coming in through the zippers, except when I left the pit zips cracked open and some water trickled in.

What I HAVE noticed is the outer shell absorbs water, becoming heavy and wet (not sure at what point it soaks through, but it definitely doesn't bead on the surface). Plus I would put the breathability (with vents closed) of the jacket at pretty much zero.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one. I'm 5'11" and about 175-180lbs. I hate really loose things, so I measured very carefully when ordering and decided to go with medium instead of large. I'm glad I did as it fits like a glove with little room to spare (in case I want to layer up). I tried it on with a fleece underneath and it was a little tight, but not uncomfortable. The only part that is slightly tight is in the armpit area. I do have fairly broad shoulders.

My size large arrived today, bought from an American seller on ebay (wholesale seller, great chap and he even reduced the postage by half when I said I wasn't too fussed if it took its time getting here).

I'm about 6 foot 3 and it fits like a charm. Could do with being that slight bit longer but I always have that problem.

A friend recently got the ebairsoft OD softshell, and I can say that this blows it away...fantastic build quality and even fleece lined.

May buy a tan one too :P

I've had two so far.

Initially I did a lot of staring at the sizing chart and measuring myself, and decided to get a large. I'm 182 cm tall, a tad under 17 stone and I generally wear a large-regular US BDU. The large fit me decently, but had zero room underneath for additional layers. I wore it to one game over a TRU combat shirt and an Underarmour coldgear base layer, and while it was a little snug, it stretched enough not to impede movement. It did not show any signs of use even though I was down in the dirt most of the day. With the snugness, I could not re-zip the underarm vents without taking the jacket off, and it did ride up a bit while reaching over my head.

After some deliberation, I sold it to a buddy and bought an XL. The underarm vent zipper issue is gone, and it fits well without excessive baggyness and still has room for a fleece underneath. There's a little extra tail in back, which I like, and the sleeves don't pull short on me when I reach out or down. I've yet to wear the newest one under field stress, but I've worn it casually more than a few times. I'm debating buying a black one to go with my OD.

Now for the few issues I have had, the tied cord zipper pulls are absolute rubbish and were constantly coming untied. I bought a package of Blackhawk! silent zipper pulls, cut the stock cord pulls slightly shorter, and added the BHI tabs to them. They don't come off, give me an extra bit to grab hold of with gloves, and don't seem to catch on anything. I did this on my first jacket before I sold it as well.

One thread on the left lower sleeve pocket was too long, I cut it short and haven't an issue since.

The bottom pull on the main zipper will occasionally pop up a few centimeters while the jacket is zipped. I rarely notice until I go to unzip it and can't get the zipper parted until I notice that it's not zipped down all the way. Not a major issue right now, I just hope it doesn't get worse with time and use.

You can't put much in the chest pockets without looking odd, but I think that's been addressed here. They're fine for documents or a thin phone. Most everything I carry stuff in a sleeve pocket or the lumbar pocket.

Some lower handwarmer pockets would be nice for casual wear, but not necessary for a field jacket.

I picked up mine a couple of weeks ago and I don't regret it at all.

I was getting it to be my replacement for my everyday jacket since my normal fleece was getting quite ratty and the arms had gotten too short after many years of washing.

This jacket has been fantastic so far. It has been into and out of the city everyday with me and seen everything from the mild 50's to the recent snow/ sleet/ rain combination hitting the NYC area for the past week or so. It has been both decently warm and kept me nice and dry from the snow. The giant hood is a little big to seem to stay stowed on the collar for me, but it has been very good at keeping the snow and rain out of my face and head.

I was hesitant about which size to get. I am 6'2" and about 165lbs, and it has been tough to find something that doesn't swim on me but still covers my long arms when I need it to. After going back and forth I got the large size and it fits very nicely. The arm length is just right while the waist isn't too baggy.

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd post this up:

After some extended games in the Pacific Northwest rain (approx. 8 hours), I can say that this jacket does not remain completely waterproof when exposed to continuous rain. I wore it over my MC jacket, and as the water started to soak through the soft shell I tossed my dad's old Royal Navy jumper on underneath my MC jacket.

Basically, if you expect to be in the rain for a long time, I'd where something somewhat water proof underneath the soft shell. It's still brilliant for showers, something you can easily toss on if it suddenly rains, and then take off easily if need be. For the price, it's fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive had mine for a few months now and ive got to say, i love it. I have the OD version in a large (6 feet tall, 150-160 pounds) and it fits great. If your wearing it alone with just a t-shirt then it might be a little loose but if you layer up and wear bdu or the Fleece version underneath then this jacket should fit a little more tightly. I usually wear mine with a crye type combat shirt and it feels just fine with me. Underneath my Ciras it looks great.

I loved it so much I got another one, this one though I wear to class and out on the streets. It is awesome as both a combat jacket and and everyday jacket. Ive even been stopped by lots of people so that they can ask me about it and compliment it. For me, these reasons are why I bought it in the first place. Its just a great jacket especially for the price.

I got mine locally so I was able to try it on for size and what ive come up with is that you should usually go 1 size over your usual.

Purchased the Soft shell for $105 each and the fleece for $55. Well worth it. If you dont have one now and have been contemplating getting one, get it. Dont delay, they are to awesome to let go.

After some skirmishes... can someone post how good/bad these softshells stand to them? I mean branches, rocks, being under the rig... etc.

Thanks smile.gif

They seem to stand up to wear pretty well IMO. The only thing that seems to get slightly worn after abuse is the arms, due to the amount of movement and scrapping against trees. But mine has still held up. Looks great even after heavy use.

I'll try to post some pics of it when I have the chance so that you can get a feel for the durability of this fine soft shell.