• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Mine arrived this morning from ebay. I have to say I'm very impressed with it, I got an XL (usually take a european L-XL depending on the sizing) and it fits beautifully. As was said somewhere else in this thread the collar can be a bit of a pain (big and bulky due to the size of the hood that's wedged in it).

I'll be giving mine a shake down this weekend and will report back. The only problem I can see cropping up is that the jacket does seem a tad warm for anything more than a t-shirt (its about 10c here at the mo), but thats not a real issue anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got mine a few weeks ago, its VERY good for what you pay for. so far i use it everyday for the walk to school (0-12 degreees C) wearing none other than my school dress shirt, its keeps me nice and warm. today i also wore it skiing along with a fleece under it, kept me warm and dry. no complaints at all with this soft shell.

brendan

• 2 weeks later...

You do realize this is a basically a clone of the TAD Stealth Hoodie, which is made for ANY type of strenuous outdoors activity. If you look at most of the jackets coming out of the pipes from places like Arc'Teryx (not their LEAF), Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Columbia, Kuhl, and other high end outdoor gear companies thier jackets all now look like this, some even have velcro on the arms. This is in no way blatantly military gear to the average consumer, five years ago, possibly, but now, no.

Even camouflage patterns are seeping into popular culture, I've seen multicam sketchers, and ACU patterned basketball shorts, not to mention all these camo patterns sports teams are now wearing.

Edited by frogfish

Maybe its just a matter of tastes, yes, it seems a little militarish and Fire Force might not like it, but its true that "militarish" patterns are getting into the everyday life, its just a trend and fashion which will be forgotten someday. Both are perfectly valid opinions but I think they are not related in anyway :)

Personally I use mine everyday, for a walk on monday, going to job (before unemployment), in the afternoon with friends, at night on weekend going on party and the next day in the skirmish and I blends perfectly in any situation :) maybe its because its black and not green/TAN, much more "camo-ish" colours, but this is just my opinion :)

Fire Force, give the softshell anothe chance, maybe not for everyday use, but in skirmishes its just great and it deserves some love :)

I'd give it another chance, but me and some friends do a 5 Commando (1960s Congo) or a Rhodesian Army impression, and they didn't exactly have tactical soft shell jackets back then!

As for it not looking military, I don't agree but whatever. Civilian outerwear doesn't have Velcro patches on the sleeves so you can attach rank insignia and whatnot. It sort of reminds me of people wearing "tactical 5.11 pants" and riggers belts around. Maybe it's my sense of total disgust towards the modern "tactical" community, but I just won't wear airsoft gear around town without feeling kind of silly. To each his own, though. Do whatever you want.

For casual wear when it's cold, I have a very nice black North Face soft shell jacket I wear that works just fine. For skirmishing, I have an M56 Belgian windproof jacket that does exactly what the soft shell does! :P

Edited by Fire Force

I'd give it another chance, but me and some friends do a 5 Commando (1960s Congo) or a Rhodesian Army impression, and they didn't exactly have tactical soft shell jackets back then!

Makes perfect sense to not wear one then

As for it not looking military, I don't agree but whatever. Civilian outerwear doesn't have Velcro patches on the sleeves so you can attach rank insignia and whatnot. It sort of reminds me of people wearing "tactical 5.11 pants" and riggers belts around.

You probably hang out with a different crowd than I do but riggers belts and jackets with velcro on the sleeves are common place among people who do serious outdoors activities like climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, ect. As I said before TAD makes their gear for outdoors enthusiasts not specifically the military, it just so happens that they are widely liked by those in the military. Companies like Arc'Teryx who only recently started a law enforcement and military division are also putting velcro on their sleeves as morale patches have become quite popular with civillians.

Edited by frogfish

Like frogfish there are quite a number of non military related items that have velcro pads, i do mountaineering since very young ( been doing it for more than 12 years now ) and i've seen jackets with velcro for that long.

Jackets even more old than me and they already had velcro pads in them for the most various purposes.

Don't hate on me wear a rigger's belt everyday. Why do it do it? Simple, because military nylon and a heavy duty steel cinch buckle will never fail or wear out like high designer brand belts that sell for double or triple the cost of my riggers belt. I've worn a black riggers belt for almost 4 years now and it's barely showing signs of wear.

Can't argue taste.

I just feel like a Walt wearing all this modern gear

Also, frogfish, just curious where one does serious mountaineering, climbing, and backpacking in the city of Houston. I'm from the Spring/Tomball area and there are certainly no mountains within 100 square miles of Houston, Texas. Genuinely curious.

Edited by Fire Force
  • 3 months later...