The British Army of the Cold War

Martin, I know for a fact that you're a Lt Col in the First Chairborne Librarian's Regiment. How about you contribute positively by scanning in some of the doubtless many reference pics you have instead???? ;)

Only a Lt Col - I thought I'd have been promoted by now. ;)

Whilst I'll be the first to admit that I do have a rather large library, I lack both a scanner and the technical knowledge to use it.

However...

Have a look at this web site. It covers the period that you're interested in, though some of the pictures can be quite small.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now i know this is out of the date range but i am after some pics of MT350 motorbikes in serives with the army as dispatch or out riders.

i am hopefully putting togeather a project for my other half but i need the pics for one if i drop on a nice MT350

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/out...hat-305417.html

Puggy - the above repro when cut down then given a really hot wash does the trick nicely. Get it larger than usual in case it shrinks a bit.

Cheap too!!

Regards

Red

Thanks mate, any advice on footwear for the same period used by SF guys?

My old man wore civvie dessie boots / US jungle boots during his time in Oman (He was with the SAOF not UK.) In my pics I'm wearing suede USGI repro ww2 ankle boots.

I've yet to find a supply of brit style Borneo boots anywhere, but I've even got pics of guys wearing DMS and puttees in the jungle!

Are you going for the early OD look or 80's Trops?

My old man wore civvie dessie boots / US jungle boots during his time in Oman (He was with the SAOF not UK.) In my pics I'm wearing suede USGI repro ww2 ankle boots.

I've yet to find a supply of brit style Borneo boots anywhere, but I've even got pics of guys wearing DMS and puttees in the jungle!

Are you going for the early OD look or 80's Trops?

I'm trying for a Malaya/Borneo look for the summer, got some JG gear from 'What Price Glory', a RWC AR15 (or Star SLR) with short mags and i'm going with 58 pattern webbing with a few 44 pattern bits thrown in. Just needed the hat and footwear to finish, i'll get some pics up when i'm done, it's been difficult to source an E&E pouch so i've butchered an ammo pouch to produce one.

I used a 44 pattern ammo pouch for my E&E - just added a drop loop to it

Webbing.jpg

Just fits a set of mess tins inside...On another note I found a mint condition 44 pattern canteen cover in my loft the other day that someone has painted black camo shapes on! guess that's been up there for the best part of 20 yrs!

I used a 44 pattern ammo pouch for my E&E - just added a drop loop to it

Webbing.jpg

Just fits a set of mess tins inside...On another note I found a mint condition 44 pattern canteen cover in my loft the other day that someone has painted black camo shapes on! guess that's been up there for the best part of 20 yrs!

I'll be doing the same thing with my ammo pouch just sticking a drop loop on it, i've seen some 1950s french jungle boots on SOF so i'll be investing in a pair of them.

Gents I'll be sorting out my webbing stockpile over the weekend - I know I have 1 or 2 E&E pouches and some drop loop ammo pouches in the bags.

Condition will be mixed - most of the best stuff I already have on my rigs

I'll list what I have before maybe doing a proper sales post.

Gents I'll be sorting out my webbing stockpile over the weekend - I know I have 1 or 2 E&E pouches and some drop loop ammo pouches in the bags.

Condition will be mixed - most of the best stuff I already have on my rigs

I'll list what I have before maybe doing a proper sales post.

Swerve please save me an E&E - and if you find any fabled SLR drop pouches please let me know...

Cheers

Red

Here we go....

First up are the ammo pouches

These are all the longer pouches with NSN 8465-99-130-0247 as opposed to the shorter pouches with NSN 8465-99-130-0248 of which I have two that I'm keeping ;)

They take 30 round M16 mags nice and easy. Condition is faded, with marks here and there but all functionally sound

Pic:

sdc10920w.th.jpg

Now the E&E's

The top two are faded and tatty but still sound. A previous owner has seen fit to colour bits of them in with brown and black marker, but to be honest in real life they do look greener and less bolloxed than in the flash'd photo.

The bottom one is a puzzler. Half of me thinks it's a repro as it is about a centimetre shorter than my other E&E's and it is pristine.....BUT the stitching is excellent and it does have the same lining as the older E&E's. It doesn't have a visible NSN stamped on it. It also has both drop loops and belt loops, E&E's normally do not have the belt loops which then makes me think it might be an early version....but the lack of any stamped NSN just leaves me with more chin stroking.

Bottom line is it will look the part 100% when dangling from a rollpin.

Pic:

sdc10924e.th.jpg

NOTE:

This isn't a sales post. I am not desperate to sell any of these, but if you are interested then PLEASE pm me so that the thread isn't sidetracked. Bottom line is I'd rather they were used than stuck in a surplus 58 rucksack in my cupboard.

Hi all,

I'm working on a SAS "vintage" jungle loadout.

I own a full '58 webbing, and I'm gonna mod with "drop loop" a kidney pouch and a mag pouch (this one to create an E&E).

Pics when the work will be done...

This is the jungle tool I've prepared...

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

Archived