The British Army of the Cold War

Swerve, I'm happy to offer any help I can give if you're planning a game at Tudders. I helped with Alsos, an Army Group South WW2 event there last October. Cracking site that can be dressed with some prep to suit any period. I finally have got my hands on a KA SLR, a whole bunch of confusing 58 pattern webbing, none of which as a belt to fit my (Portly) frame, but hope to sort that this weekend. I'm new to building this loadout and glad to see a friendly in this section.

What can I bring to your event? I do the food! Got all the gear to cater for a hundred airsofters in an hour, that's a headache you dont have to worry about.

Have a think about your time schedule and chat with Josh and then Pm me. I cant bring Beans but we do have a few from that time frame that would love to play a dedicated game.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ay up fella!

I don't know how but I missed a GMA cold war game this coming weekend, but I reckon we should sort something out ourselves tbh.

Tudds isn't massive but I reckon it would be ideal for a cold war game, with the buildings adding variety, or Harmer Green for excellent woodland - the only annoyance being the "cease fires" due to occasional dog walkers - but it is worth it just to turn up at the local pub looking grimy and to see the looks on the faces of the very well to do clientelle.

Of course there are other sites we could do something at.

btw you have come to the right place to ask about 58 pattern and stuff, it's just a shame that the thread on ASCUK is gone, that was a great resource

Excellent news Jimbo and welcome to the thread! I'd love to play a dedicated cold war game.

Combat South's excellent Vietnam "In Country" series really shows what a site and players can achieve if they put the effort in!

And Swerve, those pouches arrived - very happy with them mate - thanks again

PS got some fantastic docs I've burnt to DVD - expect some screen grabs soon!!!!!

i has a pic of my webbing the full load out will have to wait till i can get some space outside without the light been ######

post-48297-1264087530_thumb.jpg

everything is on drop loops going from L to R

LH ammo pouch, 44 water bottle pouch, 58 Carl gustav sight pouch, 1 half kidney pouch, utility pouch, 1 half kidney pouch, 58 carl gustav sight pouch, 44 water bottle pouch, RH ammo pouch and of course the poncho roll above the pouches and of course all on a roll pin belt, on a side note the drop loops are made of the same stuff that the squaddies would have done which was seat belt these been from a 1988 land rover then are also bungeed at the back.

any Q's feel free

I have a question, what would be the most common service jacket, generally for this period, and could you please point me in the direction of where I would find online reference and vendors, or what to look for at the car boot fares? Also am I going to have to learn how to tie up puttees?

I'm a fan of the Comrades in Arms "Look Alike" or filmsim look, so I've got the SLR and 58 pattern webbing. I was going to use OD cargo trousers and my regular boots, ( I think they are German Para, not sure but very comfy )

One thing I've learned from building my German WW2 loadout is that it's better to ask lots of questions rather than buy the wrong kit, so what jacket should I be looking for to start off my loadout.

quick warning woodern pistol grips arent good to use on SLR's because once you have bored them out they are too thin and brittle to do anything with i know i bought a set to do the same and when i worked it out it would break before anything.

the normal service jaket would be the 68 pattern smock or a 85 pattern smock http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/out...ten-549893.html

lightweights would have been used but not for ops in places such as NI because the plastic in the lightweights would melt and were banned from service in faver of the 44pat OD trousers but if you are going for the impression and not the gospel then OD trousers with one leg pocket removed wouldnt look out of place or failing that some OD cragghoppers as used in the falklands.

puttees would have been used they are the short ankle type or if you can get hold of some OD gaiters they were worn as a private purchase but the puttees are easy to put on i have a link some where for the WW1 type guide of how to put them on and it same they just dont go up to your knee.

boots well would have been the pebble look ammo boots or US jungle boots but it was not uncommon to see german para boots been used but if you are wearing puttees cheat use you current boots and bobs your aunty so to speak.

Thanks for the reply Wyatt, I'll post a pic up when I get the look together. I've got short ankle gaiters, repro ww2 German which should look close enough for the moment. I dont have a large budget to spend on this loadout, most of my dosh has gone on WW2 gear, it's just that if I'm carrying and using an SLR as my main regular weapon, I think I should make an effort with the kit.

Having always been a civvie I dont want to wear any regimental insignia that I wouldn't be entitled to wear, what if any do you recommend for general use? Also headwear, I wouldnt want to wear any beret I'm not entitled to use, what would you guys recommend?

A plain black beret (not green, red or khaki!) or wool hat would be my suggestion.

Cap badges are a different kettle of fish - I am entitled to wear two - of which I've chosen to wear the one least likely to wind up actual soldiers. (I personally was only ever a stab.)

My suggestion would be to scour Ebay for a long disbanded regiment's badge or the cap badge from perhaps a military school, or even something that just looks like a cap badge and give it a blast of black primer...

or of course there is the fabled deputy dog DPM falklands hat...

No Probs Jimbo

I'm just putting the finishing details to purchase a Clansman PRC349 to finish my NI gear - then I've got to find some 44 pattern brace attachments to add to my webbing to finish that off as well...

I'll get some more pics sorted after that.

My webbing now consists of 2 x SLR 'drop' ammo pouches, 58 belt & yoke, 2 x 44 pattern canteen covers, 'drop' E&E pouch, 58 pattern compass pouch and FFD

leaving me with a mountain of other bits to make a second 58 pattern set up!!

i has a pic of my webbing the full load out will have to wait till i can get some space outside without the light been ######

everything is on drop loops going from L to R

LH ammo pouch, 44 water bottle pouch, 58 Carl gustav sight pouch, 1 half kidney pouch, utility pouch, 1 half kidney pouch, 58 carl gustav sight pouch, 44 water bottle pouch, RH ammo pouch and of course the poncho roll above the pouches and of course all on a roll pin belt, on a side note the drop loops are made of the same stuff that the squaddies would have done which was seat belt these been from a 1988 land rover then are also bungeed at the back.

any Q's feel free

Nice belt kit Wyatt!! sorry forgot to post a reply before :D

A plain black beret (not green, red or khaki!) or wool hat would be my suggestion.

Surely navy blue?

Our berets in the staffords were navy as were the fusiliers, lancers and other regiments I worked with.

The only black berets I ever saw were on RTR guys.

Other headgear of the time included the '######' hat or dpm patrol cap, i used to cut and stitch mine in the same way the SAS of the 80s did.

Recce.jpg

I have few questions

What are differences between 66 and 85 combat jacket and do both of them have temperate version?

Do Canadian pants have same pattern as UK pants?

thank for any answers

From memory 66/68 pattern is a slightly different (hardly noticable) set of 'drawings' (as camoflage shapes are known) and it was fully lined and pretty well made.

The 85 pattern was half lined and fell to pieces.

However my first issue was 90 pattern so i've never used either.

You can *only* get temperate versions of the 66/68 and 85 to my knowledge, I think the first set of dessies were made about the late 80s then sold en masse to Saddam Hussain shortly before we went to war with him forcing us to rapidly make a new dessie pattern.

66/68 pattern and 85 pattern jackets are ONLY in GREEN DPM the desert camo was the old type 4 colour that was used in the gulf by a few before the new 2 tone style came in, most desert operations using the old style khaki colour uniforms.

as for cap badges and stuff i wrote these rules for my equipment and vehicle group and they are about right even for airsoft.

7. Do not leave weapons unattended at any time.

8. Wearing of rank is considered that if you yourself has earned the rank please feel free to wear the rank.

9. Wearing of TRF, Unit or Cap badge is permitted if you have been in the regiment/unit if you have not however you may wear the badge etc to represent the unit/regiment PLEASE be faithful to the unit been represented as you are displaying them.

10. Trade badges, jump wings etc is not permitted unless earned.

11. Be respectful of all nations been represented by the group.

i follow this and it works well i found :D

Thank for the answers

so Temperate version is only in desert camo? that mean woodland DPM jacket is only available in Cold-weather if I understand correctly.

no temperate is the green DPM desert is well desert lol green DPM is worn all year around in countries that arent desert/arid in environment

I am little confused ,sorry

DPM jackets I found in my country are all labeled cold-weather the only temperate jacket found here are S95(which I mistakenly bought for UK '80 loadout)

that why make me wonder there are temperate 66/85 jacket or not

yeah most of the older jackets were classed as cold weather except the tropies, which i sure somewill show you the difference i am off to uni lol

Evening,

I'll probably be down at War and Peace for all of the days this year, so I need a few extra uniforms to wear. I was wondering if I could get away with the following combination (as I have all of the bits) for late 80's RAF:

OG Lightweights

Unmarked DPM smock (I have an S95, but I can switch if for an S85 easily enough)

P58 webbing - two mag pouches, kidney puches.

OG or DPM shirt

L85A1, ironsights.

Beret

West German FJ boots

cheers,

-Matt

This is the set that I've put together from the bundle of gear that I got as part of a swap. The pistol holster I filled with a 1911 because it fitted and the triple pouch set on the other side is a custom one but stiched together professionally so I decided to utilise it. I filled out the kidney pouches with out of date bandage packs as they are good lightweight pouch fillers. I've got some spares left over, a back pack and a metal framed rucksack that sits over this lot nicely.

Archived