The British Army of the Cold War

This is the set that I've put together from the bundle of gear that I got as part of a swap. The pistol holster I filled with a 1911 because it fitted and the triple pouch set on the other side is a custom one but stiched together professionally so I decided to utilise it. I filled out the kidney pouches with out of date bandage packs as they are good lightweight pouch fillers. I've got some spares left over, a back pack and a metal framed rucksack that sits over this lot nicely.

put the poncho roll above the kidney pouches and it will look flash other than that its awesome.

on the note of war and peace i will be down again with my landy so if some of you wanna come and get some pics with a landy and have some beers you are welcome

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more pics... Some of these have been borrowed from the excellent "Forces 80" Re-enactment website (Their genuine reference pics section.)

As for beret colours - After digging around in my loft my 20 year old Military School beret is indeed dark blue (apologies Gadge) somewhere along the line I've ended up with a black Tankies one (no where that came from!)

I'm also awaiting delivery of my PRC349 Clansman Radio set and some 44 Pattern Yoke attachments. BTW has anyone got any 34" up to 36" waist 68 or 85 pattern DPM trousers they want to sell?

now onto the pics...

Squad1.jpg

Squad2.jpg

Squad3.jpg

Squad4.jpg

Squad5.jpg

Squad6.jpg

Squad7.jpg

Squad8.jpg

Squad9.jpg

Squad10.jpg

That's a great reference site, thanks, saved it to favorites :)

I didn't get as far as Gadges post before I picked up a black beret, so it looks like I'm a Slacktrack for a while.

Beret shaping and care, could someone please advise the right way of doing it please? I looked more like Frank Spencer last Sunday than anything else and had a black forehead when I pulled it off at the end of the day, much to the amusement of my fellow airsofters.

I've always shaped berets like this,

Soak them in really hot water, not boiling... dont let the leather band get wet, then soak it in cold water, wring off the excess water gently.

Place on head, shape... keep on head while it dries.

Personally these days I cheat and i have a polysteryne foam head model thats about my head size that I leave it on to dry in a warm room.

I did that with all my berets while serving and all of my re-enactment ones since (excepting russians ones that look better left like dinner plates VDV style)

Other good tips are to run a new razor over the wool to take off any pilling and fluff.... oh and remember to push the fabric ties at the back into the leather band and dont leave them dangling french style.

magonberet.jpg

patrolberet-1.jpg

I heard a rumour you once looked cheerful in a gear pic Gadge ;)

Dave that *is* my cheerful face.

Compare with one taken on exercise in the 90s

DSC00034.jpg

Note that in the previous pics i am positively a ray of sunshine.

Happy days.

Incidentally thats fairly 'cold war' kit, i used to prefer.

C-Ra P hat, sas smock, tropical trousers and BCH boots. You can just about make out my MKVI cammed up beside me and the gat is an a1. So its all pretty 'late cold war' kit.

ah forces 80 good lads but follow the infantry hand book to the letter because we all know that squaddies never modded there kit......*cough*

i am waiting for the dropzone release of there tropies as i am finding it hard to get hold of a shirt to fit me or hell even 2 i can make in to own (its nice having a missus that can sow lol )

i will get some more pics up later

Hey Guys,

Great Kit! I need to find the best place to buy three or four used DPM chest rigs. I need to find the cheapest place possible as I need to ship them to the states. I saw them for 10 GBP at the War and Peace show last year but I just can not find any prices close to that any more. Any help would be great.

Could one of you helpful souls tell me which version of the MP5 SF troops would have used in Northern Ireland, cheers.

i believe it would have been the old MP5A1 (???) which had a rounded foregrip, stright mag and a sliding stock i will check the photos and get back to you

Im still looking for a couple of NI chest rigs in DPM or some cheap sets of PLCE webbing. If any one has anything or knows were I can find it I need 4-5 and I need to ship them to the States.

i might beable to locate some for you but it might be next weekend before i can give you the heads up as to if i can get em mate, other than that i can save em till the war and peace again?

Archived