MP5K alternative

wraithbrood

Not trying to over-rule anybody here, just laying out my POV....

I worked down in Liverpool for a year and I hooked up with some guys who ran a pistols-only indoor skirmish on a Tuesday night.

First week I showed up with a couple of pistols and got whupped.

Everybody else had either G18s, M93s or M11s.

Thus began the arms race.

Seemed to me that the best weapon I could field would be an MP5k. Pistol-sized (sort of), electric with none of the hassle of a gas gun.

I bought mine specifically for those Tuesday night games.

Anyway, after a while (about, ooooh, 17 seconds) I got the urge to pimp my MP5 and a reflex sight seemed like the perfect CQB accessory.

Wrong!

Thing is (and this is where my "dislike" of the MP5k began), because the MP5k has no stock you have no point of reference when aiming.

One handed or two handed I'd aim it in front of me and then spend a crucial few seconds trying to find the damned dot on the screen of the reflex scope.

I know there's a lot to be said about muscle memory and using a single point sling and pulling the gun away from you to create a point of reference for aiming but I never found a way to accurately and comfortably aim an MP5K instinctively like I can with a shoulder-fired weapon.

For my pistol games I was stuck with the MP5k (it was THE best tool for the job, by a country mile) and, in the end, I stuck a laser on it (a VITAL2 cos the laser flashes so I'd always know which was MY laser dot amongst everybody elses) and used that to aim.

Worked fine for that.

However, that year of being FORCED to use an MP5K taught me that it (or anything similar M11s, TMPs, VZ61s etc) is always going to be inferior to a shoulder-fired weapon.

Course, this is airsoft and people use what they like rather than what's most practical.

I reckon you're right that with a stock your eye tends to have a reference point to aquire the dot from.

I reckon, for someone smaller in size(thus shorter arms) it gets a bit easier to aquire the targeting dot on the sight.

Of course, thing is, the MP5K is always a bit of a last resort weapon. It's precisely that reason that the PDW version has a folding stock.

I would suggest that one way to reduce the delay in aquiring the targeting dot, is using a larger red dot scope. I use a RDS like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walther-1-x-45mm-Red-D...7QQcmdZViewItem

When I used a smaller and slimmer RDS I did experience similiar to what Stealth said: having problems aquiring the dot itself. However since my play style is a sneakier one, I tend not to find myself in situations needing to quickly aquire the dot. Still, since switching to the larger RDS, that problem's gone away.

This is a very valid point.

I recently put a 'doctor' sight on the top of a Glock & encountered the exact same problem.

Strangely, I don't experience this with my stock less G36c but I think that's because it's usually in the up & ready position, & I use the back of the rail as a sort of cheek rest. Not something you want to do with a GBB. :D

Greg.

I have to admit that as the G36K is heavier than the MP5K I used to hold it close up to me with the stock folded, often with my eye just millimeters from the aimpoint i had on it. Of course one cannot do that with a real G36, but one certainly can do that with an airsoft one.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats why i love my p90 because the red dot on it is really easy to use, the other thing is it feels perfect for CQB but i held the mp5k when it arrived, and i dont like it at all. maybe the stockless mp5k would feel better as a pistol because its sooo light.

Im tempted to grab a m4 stubby with a ump folding stock?

thats why i love my p90 because the red dot on it is really easy to use, the other thing is it feels perfect for CQB but i held the mp5k when it arrived, and i dont like it at all. maybe the stockless mp5k would feel better as a pistol because its sooo light.

Im tempted to grab a m4 stubby with a ump folding stock?

It depends on which MP5K you buy.

If you compared your P90 to a Galaxy MP5K, then yes the Galaxy is too light.

a TM P90 is 2.2kg (thus clones of the TM will probably be about the same).

a CYMA MP5K is 2.3kg. Heavier than the P90. Way heavier than the Galaxy.

Ok, I have skimmed over the thread and decided it is time to throw my hat into the ring. I am not even going to look at what Emily has suggested otherwise she will have me buying another gun again, and just because it is Christmas is no excuse! :D I would suggest that if it is for a lady then take note of what a lady is telling you, she knows what she is talking about, but evertyone is different and the best way would be to try a few guns and see how they feel, concentrate on the models rather than the make, as they will feel pretty much the same, just differences with things like the weight if it is full metal as opposed to plastic.

The KAC PDW is great for CQB or little people (not Santas elves), and there is a lipo kit available that replaces the bit above the barrel, thus doing away with the peq box or battery sling. It is also not too bad out of the box. The only thing that I feel is worth mentioning is that on both the Dboys version and the VFC, the bbs tend to catch the tip of the flash hider, but this is very easy to fix by just shaving a fraction off the hole. Comes with two different length barrels so that you can make it really small if you wanted to. It also takes M4 mags, so mag options are huge.

The MP5K PDW is also pretty good for CQB, although the grip is a little larger than the KAC, so little hands may find it less comfortable. The mags are also much smaller capacity.

The P90 is also a good choice, but may feel a little strange at first and takes a bit of getting used to.

The MP7 is a great little gun. As far as aegs are concerned I have been told to only go with the TM, not one of the cheaper brands because they are aparently ######. The gas blowback is great fun, but is also a little higher than your budget. Mag capacity on the aegs is also pretty good, and the stock and forgrip collapse if you find that more comfortable.

One of the other things that I would consider, apart from magazine capacity, is battery consumption. If she is only going to get through a mag or so, then the MP7s tiny battery need not worry you. If she is a trigger happy mentalist, then you want something with a little more juice.

So, my recomendations in the order that I would suggest are, the KAC PDW, then the MP7, then the MP5K PDW, and lastly the P90. But like I said at the start, see if someone else at the site or shop has one she can hold and see how it feels. I know many ladies who play regularly that use G36, M4 full size, MP5 full size and P90 without any problems, even a minimi (not to be confused with a mini me :Dr_Evil: )!

Yes indeed the CYMA MP5s are very nice, one of the few that are closer to the real gun externally as well, and with tight bore barrel as standard they are extremely accurate and get great range. I cant wait to see the new src steel ones early next year (I know that they are out already, but I wont get mine until January), but I doubt that the performance will be as good as the CYMA one. Also available as a blowback or non blowback versions, whichever you prefer, personally I like the blowback ones better, but again it is down to taste.

Wow, I've missed out on this thread, a lot of back and forth banter which is something I love to see. What about the magpul fpg, thats something to consider too, as most men are bigots and would think its a harmless bag of some sorts, then boom, cock the thing and it turns into a semi/full auto pistol GBB (G18c if am not mistaken), its not out yet, but there is a thread about it, cant find it now though.

edit:- Its just a kit, you need to buy a G18C GBB seperate, yes its out of the price rang, but seeing as this thread has kind of turned into what am bestest I thought I would throw this bad boy in with the rets of them.

FAke Edit2:- I still say go for a P90, or close second MP5K.

Congratulations to the OP for his purchase!

I got a TM PDW way back when they were on sale in Airsoft Armoury. I thought it was a great AEG. Added a silencer to get rid of the muzzle crack and its great for that point in the afternoon when you get bored of lugging all your gear around the site. Dump it all and run around with the PDW and a few mags. You can throw yourself around with reckless abandon unhindered!

Maybe I shouldn't have sold it to buy a CA-8 :P

Archived