Magpul PTS Folding Pistol Gun (FPG)

uscmCorps

So uscm, will there be a 3rd huge/ innovative/ cream-my-pants offering from Magpul released with this and the ACR?

There are definitely more products that I expect to be announced around SHOT Show 2010. I'm excited about those too, but the ACR and the FPG are the big, most noteworthy ones I've been wanting to announce for the last few months. The content used in the announcement post that started this thread ... I've actually had written up since the previous Magpul PTS ACR thread and the FPG was going to be announced at the same time in the same thread as the ACR, but I was asked to wait. It was a wise decision on PTS's part IMO, as these are two very different and significant products that deserve their own separate release announcements. I hope to release pics of the ACR soon, but that's a whole other topic that we should keep separate.

Keeping all this info under my hat for months now not being able to tell you guys ... had me bursting at the seams. I couldn't even tell my teammates until I got the go ahead from PTS. The FPG feels absolutely perfect. It's the sort of gun that you just don't want to put down. Ever. Holding this gun, it was immediately apparent how NOT toy like it felt.

The top of the rail has a front and rear sight within the rail. And any differences you see between these photos and photos or video of the previous RS prototypes ... well the photos of the Magpul PTS FPG in this thread reflects the most current incarnation of the RS Magpul FPG. This may in fact be the first public viewing of what the RS FPG will look like as well.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You sir have no soul :P

I know, I know. I just would rather carry a Glock in a shoulder holster under a jacket than have a weird-looking polymer box in my back pocket. I don't understand the concealability claims that they're making. All this does is make your sidearm bigger. With all the media hype about this weapon anybody you're trying to fool should already know about it and be on the lookout for blocks of plastic with flashlights on them. Even if I didn't know squat about firearms, if I saw a guy walking around with a futuristic-looking box in his pocket that says "FPG" on it, I'd at least want to ask him what it was, or at worst think it was a bomb or something. Sure, you can disguise it, but IMO there are much cheaper and more intuitive solutions.

?, What's the point ? Anyways, I guess it has it's purpose, like a GBB SMG :). Dose it have to be a Glock 18, Or can it be a 17? And do you have to use regular length inner barrels or could I pop in a G34 length?

Not sure. My guess is that since the KSC/KWA G17 is almost the same as the G18 ... it can be swapped. But don't quote me on that.

Normaly Magpul PTS take years to design airsoft versions, at least this time it only took a year :P

nice alternative to the mp7

do you know how much longer the barrel is ?

I think at least a couple inches longer than the G18 barrel. So expect a probable FPS increase as well.

This looks way cool and all, but how exactly is it practical? Sure, it fills a sweet niche for role players as spies, PSD, and whatnot at large events, but I don't see much of an advantage. Other than the slightly longer barrel, it seems like it'd be easier to just carry a Glock 18...

It's definitely a niche gun. But that said, I'd definitely use it in CQB just as I had used my TMP for years. I see the gun being as usable as any other GBB SMG like the TMP/MP9, MP7A1, etc etc. In fact, it may be even more popular as many of those other GBB SMGs have extremely heavy mags, whereas the KSC/KWA G18 long mags are much lighter.

I also see this as being a great back up gun. Being of simple shape and small size, it'll fit in many utility pouches or the glove boxes of vehicle drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more Snipers using this as a back up as well.

As for using this vs a regular G18 ... a full stock gun is always more manageable than a non-stock gun. Granted this isn't RS, but the GBB do have some kick.

being a great back up gun. Being of simple shape and small size, it'll fit in many utility pouches or the glove boxes of vehicle drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more Snipers using this as a back up as well.

This is what I thought it would be used as. It looks small enough that I can put it in a Utility pouch, MAP, or even a rucksack.

This is what I thought it would be used as. It looks small enough that I can put it in a Utility pouch, MAP, or even a rucksack.

So carry a sidearm AND this...got it. This is making a *little* more sense to me now. Don't get me wrong, it's wicked cool, I'm just a little skeptical of the advantages. That and I'm enjoying playing Devil's advocate to get my answers. Thanks for putting up with me.

Holding this gun, it was immediately apparent how NOT toy like it felt.

Because your so not griping a KWA lower. :D Compared to an MP5, What would you say about this guns ergo's?

I love this idea, since i all ready have a ton of Glock mags :P, This is not a back up gun, that is what a pistol is for, this will be a CQB primary.

I reckon fitting it in to a nicely snug fitting, square, GP pouch on your vest would be pretty damn cool as something between a 'side arm' and a 'secondary'. Certainly more manageable than an MP7 or MP5k to my mind; obviously it has it's down sides as well, but then again I think it'd almost be worth the entry price alone to see other people's faces when you pull it out of your gear and flip the thing open.

So carry a sidearm AND this...got it. This is making a *little* more sense to me now. Don't get me wrong, it's wicked cool, I'm just a little skeptical of the advantages. That and I'm enjoying playing Devil's advocate to get my answers. Thanks for putting up with me.

Its Magpul: some of their products are concept prototypes, some of them are immediate real world needed

I very much liked the ergonomics of the FPG.

Personally, I intend to use this as my primary for CQB. For outdoors, as soon as I get one I plan on making a MOLLE cordura pouch/holster for the folded gun and use it as a back up. The holster will either go on the side of my rig under my support arm, across my chest's MOLLE, or on a MOLLE drop leg panel. What I love about the gun is how compact, thin and streamlined it is when folded up. It allows you to place it on your person and it'll still be lower profile than a double mag pouch. And yet, if the $#!T hits the fan, your primary gun goes down, you pull out this small and slim box and with the flick of the wrist you're back in the fight. Personally, I think it's only a niche gun if people treat it that way. It's a tool, and if used in a certain way ... it can be a very useful and versatile tool when you need it to be. I also strongly believe this can become the preferred backup gun of snipers. Most snipers I know want to keep their setups as low profile and unbulky as possible and abhor anything that might snag on foliage or inhibit their movement. This would be perfect.

I cant keep doing this man...... between my already purchased Barret, the coming PPSH, a GBB M4, and now this.... I dont make enough money to keep this up.... but I NEED!!!! this....

I feel your pain dude, I also need this. It'd look good next to my Magpul PTS MOE M4A1

Other than the slightly longer barrel, it seems like it'd be easier to just carry a Glock 18...

HERESY! <_<

Damn, if only magpul went with a 1911-in-a-box, or a sig-in-a-box...

HERESY! <_<

@fiddlesticks4220: The internal workings of the different KSC Glocks are pretty similar as far as hop-up and slide-action goes. There will be no problem replacing the G18 internals with G17 internals. But why one would want to I have no idea... smells kinda like heresy to me...<_<

Also I had a similar idea of using the G34 barrel from my G18C PDW in the same set-up. But if a barrel is provided, then more kudos to Magpul, and less organ-theft from my other guns.

Is there a fire selector on this like the G18 or is it full auto only?

Good question. When you flip the top cover open, the fire selector on the left side of the slide is accessible. It is not accessible from the outside of the FPG with the cover closed (I believe).

Now hang on, all this talk of Glock 18s and 17s, but no mention of the 19 (or 23 for that matter). I carry the KWA G23f (which is essentially the same as the G19), will this work in the FPG? I know the 19 is smaller then the 18 so I fear it may not.

Id love to have this for when my M4 is dry, so I could just have it in a pouch off to the side stowed away until I need to pop it out.

Archived