Magpul PTS Folding Pistol Gun (FPG)

uscmCorps

Now hang on, all this talk of Glock 18s and 17s, but no mention of the 19 (or 23 for that matter). I carry the KWA G23f (which is essentially the same as the G19), will this work in the FPG? I know the 19 is smaller then the 18 so I fear it may not.

Id love to have this for when my M4 is dry, so I could just have it in a pouch off to the side stowed away until I need to pop it out.

I dont see how it would. The 17 and the 18 are the same size. The other are different.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the gun comes with its own barrel that probably means a G19 or 23 if you have one spare might work, It really depends on which parts you need and how the charging handle works- if it just pushes on the slide it'll probably flap about a bit with a shorter slide in.

I want mine painted like Optimus prime...

If the gun comes with its own barrel that probably means a G19 or 23 if you have one spare might work, It really depends on which parts you need and how the charging handle works- if it just pushes on the slide it'll probably flap about a bit with a shorter slide in.

I recall this all stuff cropping up when the G19 was first released.

Trouble is that although the G17 and G19 look very similar they're not.

The takedown button is in a slightly different place on the G19 frame and that means that a G17 outer barrel (and the hop-up that lives inside it) won't engage the takedown button properly.

Similarly, regarding a G17 instead of a G18, although the two guns are very similar, a G17 slide won't work on a G18 lower, or vice-versa.

As you say, it is really all going to depend on which parts of the donor gun get used, which parts are unique and which parts are designed to work with a specific donor.

I'd suggest prospective owners wait for somebody who has a wide range of Glock pistols to tinker around with this and see if 17s, 18s, 19s and whatever else will be interchangeable in this before they rush out and buy it in the hope that it "might" work with a G19 (or whatever) because it'll work with a G18.

To be hoenst, i can't see this being any more useful than, say, a decently holstered sidearm.

I mean, yeah, sure, it's slim, and compact, and small, and wont snag, but then what happens when the brown smelly stuff hits the fan and you need your secondary NOW? With a normal pistol/SMG you can just pull it out, flick the safety off (if it has one) and you're done.

With this, you've got to remove it from the pouch, unfold it (a two handed operation), then take the saftey off (if it has one), then position it to fire. A lot more complicated a long winded than simply "pull, bang" of, say, a glock 17.

All that said, it'll be sure to sell like crack cocaine to a certain... group of people.

Personally i'd like to see Magpul PTS start branching out into accessories for guns that aren't M4's M4 based, or their own guns.

It's also MASSIVELY expensive. Lets face it, a MSRP of $225, will almost definately equate to £250. plus £100 for a KSC G18c, plus, say, another £80 for two mags (extended ones) and you're looking at the best part of £500 for what MAY be only a medeocre weapon, considering its little more than a G18c in a fancy new set of clothes....

to be fair, magpul could charge £700 for it and the dedicated magpul fanboi's would lap it up hook line and sinker. Seems interesting as a bit of fun, but doesn't really have a place, not as quick to draw as a sidearms and certainly nothing on an MP5 or UMP as a main arm for CQB. Still looks alright for a laugh

Then again this gun is more on the PDW side instead of a secondary gun. It is also a niche/ gimmick gun, but this is more for the fun of having a different gun in your collection than airsoft practicality. I will hope to buy 2 of these when it is released!

I think this gun's primary selling points are 1) Novelty (and what more could you ask for ;) 2) alternative to normal GBB smg's (since this uses what is in essence, a longer barreled GBB pistol) and 3) variety from the "classic" concept of guns.

Tink, the real one is spring loaded and can be deployed with one hand. In most SHTF scenarios, no it probably wouldnt be practical, but would it deter a would-be mugger?, most likely. 34+1 rounds of 9mm will do that. For those of you asking about practicality, this weapon was originally re-envisioned by magpul as a concealed carry weapon. Walk the dog, go jogging in South central etc. The handle and light in the original design were removable and without those it really doesnt look like a gun at all. They do try to think outside the box as Azulsky mentioned as the do a lot of skunkworks designing. PTS is also limited to manufacturing items that have been designed by magpul, which is branching out into other designs (.308, etc) but is for the most part sticking with the AR. Airsofters are lucky, we get a functioning ACR(and FMG) before the real shooters do. Honestly, we can all wait a little bit longer to see what they will showcase during SHOT '10.

I think this gun's primary selling points are 1) Novelty (and what more could you ask for ;) 2) alternative to normal GBB smg's (since this uses what is in essence, a longer barreled GBB pistol) and 3) variety from the "classic" concept of guns.

Yeah, but how can this sell when it looks like the love child of a Nissan Cube and a Glock?...

IMO I don't like the look of it just because I'm picky, although the PTS has me sold :)

Yeah I mean it's not designed to be a primary weapon or a go to PTW, it's for when you wana carry open carry a gun but not scream it to every person in your vicinity. For airsoft you could use it for (as I mentioned) VIP protection games, sniper backup, and as a piece of "equipment" that might not get noticed in a search that you can turn on your captors....

Tink, the real one is spring loaded and can be deployed with one hand. In most SHTF scenarios, no it probably wouldnt be practical, but would it deter a would-be mugger?

:huh::rolleyes:

That particular scenario almost perfectly encapsulated the whole "why bother" argument.

Why on earth would somebody confronted with a mugger want a weapon that requires all the flippy nonsense before it can be used?

I suspect even Magpul would admit that this was created simply "because they can" rather than to fulfill a genuine role.

It would be ideal for VIP protection. Erm, yeah but no better than an MP5K or MP7.

In airsoft it's certainly going to be no more practical than a G18 or, if you want a stock, an MP7.

It is inevitably going to be more fragile (thanks to all the flippy parts) than an MP5k or P90.

The way I see it, only 2 types of people are going to buy this:-

1) Magpul fanboys.

2) Almost everybody else.

Fact is that it IS super-cool and once we all buy one we're going to sit in front of the TV and play with it at every opportunity but there's simply no practical reason for it to exist.

Time to get a G18 before they all sell out I think. I think I'll be getting one of these for a CQB primary. :)

One thing I've noticed tho is there doesnt seem to be anywhere to put a sling on it which might make using it as a primary little tricky if I need to swap to a secondary. Then again if it were a primary there would be a RDS so I suppose a rail mounted one would work

Does anyone know the dimensions if this when it's folded?

To be hoenst, i can't see this being any more useful than, say, a decently holstered sidearm.

<snip>

It's also MASSIVELY expensive. Lets face it, a MSRP of $225, will almost definately equate to £250. plus £100 for a KSC G18c, plus, say, another £80 for two mags (extended ones) and you're looking at the best part of £500 for what MAY be only a medeocre weapon, considering its little more than a G18c in a fancy new set of clothes....

It wont be more useful than a holstered side arm but I dont see it as being a secondary weapon. More of a backup to a primary.

If you were playing and your primary went down you'd go to your secondary to deal with the immediate threat then if your couldn't fix your primary you then move to this so you have a primary and secondary weapon again.

I know most airsofters would just trek back to the safezone to pick up another primary if that happened or just carry on with their pistol but it just adds another option. It would be a lot more use to RS users (PMC/LE etc)

As for the cost it's not really too bad. If you wanted to add a stock, folding grip and upper rail to a G18 you'd be looking at close to $200 (prices from Zahal.org) and that would make it a very bulky gun to carry.

It has one on the bottom part of the butt plate.

The bit circled?

Untitled-2copy-2.jpg

It could be used as a sling point but it looks too small to fit most sling clips onto and as it appears to be what keeps the thing folded I wouldn't want to risk breaking it by hanging the gun from it.

Archived