Magpul PTS Folding Pistol Gun (FPG)

uscmCorps

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Ironwolf. At this time it looks as if we'll have to wait til end of Jan, Shotshow, to shoot a new vid.

Tink, the real one is spring loaded and can be deployed with one hand. In most SHTF scenarios, no it probably wouldnt be practical, but would it deter a would-be mugger?

That's all gravity, the only spring is the recoil spring which holds the slide and locking mechanism. The FPG opens the same way.

Heres' the video form Shotshow 2 years s ago. Take note of what Drake says about the FMG. No plans were to make this FMG for production.

Reference some of the discussion about how a holstered plain G18C would make a better sidearm, I'd like to agree with that, but on the other hand I think this is really aimed at a slightly different role. Personally, as mentioned earlier, I'd probably keep it in a pouch folded neatly away for use in the event my actual rifle went down, while still having a holster on me somewhere with a normal pistol for the 'oh *suitcase*, mag's empty/gun's broke' moments.

Obviously there's arguments either way, some might think that setup would just be too many guns to carry, but I suppose it all depends on your way of skirmishing, and everyone does things differently, which is the beauty of airsoft in many ways.

"In most SHTF scenarios, no it probably wouldnt be practical, but would it deter a would-be mugger?, most likely. 34+1 rounds of 9mm will do that."

sorry guys it was a run on sentence. I was stating that it would deter a mugger.

LOL. Orca, i was there at SHOT too! I really didn't get to look at the design but i was just stating that it for those who have not seen the multitude of youtube videos could be opened one handed

Like uscmCorps said, it's only a gimmick if you make it a gimmick. It's very low profile, low bulk item that becomes an SMG. I could keep it in a back panel if my gun goes down during an OP, I have a capable backup that's not an AEG. And when it's folded it's a snag free box. It's smaller than a P90, MP5k or MP7. It's not as quick to access as a holstered pistol but it's also more secure, and being a longer barreled SMG, more capable.

But I'll wait to see what non-G18 options are out there.

Finally! It's actually going to come to market! :D

This will work beautifully with my low profile security style loadout. 5.11 Tactical Vest with a M9 in the conceal carry pocket, P90 in a violin case, and now the FPG gives me another awesome looking option. This I will be buying the first day it's released ^_^

The way I see it, only 2 types of people are going to buy this:-

1) Magpul fanboys.

2) Almost everybody else.

Fact is that it IS super-cool and once we all buy one we're going to sit in front of the TV and play with it at every opportunity but there's simply no practical reason for it to exist.

100% quoted for truth! This looks cool but too niche for me to splash out right now. But I bet the first time I see this in person I will buy it on impulse. And because I already have the Glock it'll be like I'm getting it for half price. That's right isn't it?...

It's a very low profile, low bulk item box that becomes an SMG a Glock with a stock....

Fixed. :P A Glock is a low-profile, low-bulk item; if the kit substantially improves its range I will eat my words.

I love this concept but it's application is too much of a stretch unless you really really hate pistol bags.

Fixed. :P A Glock is a low-profile, low-bulk item; if the kit substantially improves its range I will eat my words.

I love this concept but it's application is too much of a stretch unless you really really hate pistol bags.

The included barrel's longer than the standard G18 by almost 2 inches. That should make a significant difference in range, accuracy and FPS.

Reading some of the comments ... it's very clear this concept is a love/hate thing. And I expected no less. The plethora of "I don't get it" comments doesn't surprise me either. If it doesn't appeal to you be it in regards to functionality, looks, or price then it's simply not for you. What I've come to understand about airsoft products and airsofters in general ... anything that is somewhat unconventional but attracts a lot of discussion will often produce an equal number of supporters and haters. There's no point getting bent out of shape about it. You simply can't make everybody happy and it's pointless to try as everyone is equally entitled to their opinion. But what I do appreciate about this particular product is that it was produced with the intent to make a high end airsoft replica of a highly niche product, and from what I saw firsthand, they succeeded. They assumed going in that it was going to be more popular with the airsoft collectors than with skirmishers. How an airsofter chooses to use it is up to them, personally, I see it as just another tool in the tool box that has a cool gimmick, cool design and it may work for my style of play. That's enough for me, but I accept that everyone else may see it differently. And that really doesn't bother me. As a consumer: it's airsoft, if you like it, use it.

Umm... Show me an extended glock with a stock that is snag free with its extended mag and takes up about the same space as a regular glock with standard mag.

A bit dissapointing that its not a TM base. But i still want it...

Marui - Bring out a 50 round mag

PTS - make it TM compatible

I couldn't care less for full auto on it, the best gas gun on full auto is the Hicapa extreme (IMO), and even then its still a bit tempremental.

Its going to be an expensive new year with the ACR as well :)

Nick

And USCM - TM Glock 17 best pistol ever :D

Umm... Show me an extended glock with a stock that is snag free with its extended mag and takes up about the same space as a regular glock with standard mag.

Umm... show me somebody who cares either way.

Everybody who wants this is already sold on the whole flippy-flashlight-transformers-gun thing and they don't care how useful it is.

Nobody who dislikes it is gonna change their mind because they suddenly realise it's a paragon of practicality. Cos it's not. Besides, they're all too busy polishing their AK47s to debate it.

The guy in the original video admitted it's a gimmick and they just built it for yucks.

There's no need to try and justify it as anything more.

80% of the airsoft community probably already think this is the coolest toy they've seen in years.

I know I do. ;)

On the plus side, when you carry this from your house to your car, your neighbor won't give you funny looks, or slowly start to go for the phone and dial the emergency services!

Neighbor: Oh, what's that you got there?

You: It's a flashlight... with a really big reserve battery.

Neighbor: I see...

(This is where you hurry away)

Umm... show me somebody who cares either way.

Actually, I care. TheFlash does bring up a good point. A long time ago I carried a KSC TMP with a full stock and a long mag and it was an absolute PITA to carry as a secondary. I think it's pretty hard to deny that the FPG when folded gives you a much more compact system that can be carried on the person as a secondary weapon than a regular G18 with a long mag and a full stock. Sure, unfolded the FPG doesn't give you much if any of a tactical advantage over a G18 with a full stock and long mag, but I for one would never want to carry the latter configured in such a way. The fact that the FPG folds can be seen as a positive and as a negative. It's a positive in that it allows you to have a lot in a small footprint that won't encumber your movement ... and a possible negative as you have to flip the thing open which might be unintuitive to do under stress without significant training and muscle memory. Those extra two to three seconds of unfolding the FPG, adjusting your grip and shouldering it may cost you. Which is why, like any gear, you have to weigh the pros vs cons. My needs and requirements may be different to others. I'd like a controllable fully automatic backup that, when stowed, has as small of a footprint as possible which will not snag on anything when I'm crawling through foliage, and when used gives me more than 20 odd rounds of plastic death. The FPG seems to fit that bill better than any other GBB on the market.

Those are great attributes if you need to conceal a pistol carbine in a purse; but for a backup or secondary weapon to be useful it needs to be deployed one-handed. No way to do that with the FPG unless you toss it in the air and catch it by the grip. It's a concealed primary at best.

I'm not saying it isn't cool and I do kinda want one; but as a non-collector I haven't found a way to justify it. How about if it was directly attached (Velcro?) to your thigh RoboCop style and could unfold while "holstered"?

Actually, I care. TheFlash does bring up a good point. A long time ago I carried a KSC TMP with a full stock and a long mag and it was an absolute PITA to carry as a secondary.

To be fair to the real gun, it probably allows a user to shoot a G18-based weapon in a much more controlled manner so it's useful.

It's totally pointless for airsoft though.

The real gun is, allegedly, designed to allow users to take a gun places where the sight of a gun might un-nerve people.

How's that useful in airsoft?

Sure, if you want to lug a gun around in case your primary goes on the fritz then fair enough.

Thing is, airsoft is not life and death. I go back to my car and get another gun if my primary packs up.

Airsoft also doesn't happen at ranges where a shoulder-fired weapon can outshoot a pistol. My Mk23 and I have proved this on numerous occasions.

There's no practical reason in airsoft why this is more useful than a decent pistol.

In fact, using one as a primary for CQB is a definite step backwards from summat like a P90 or a KAC PDW IMO.

It's only purpose in life was for concealed carry and that's not a requirement for airsoft.

I'm quite happy to accept it as a desirable item on the basis that it's a super-cool toy but let's not kid ourselves that it actually provides a solution to some problem that's plagued airsofters since the dawn of time, eh? ;)

It's a tool that is also a solution to a problem I personally have which is that I hate having anything larger than a pistol as a backup and I'm not that fond of pistols either as they tend to add bulk to my rig. It's certainly lower profile than a G18C in a serpa with or without a long mag. No it's not the "solution to some problem that's plagued airsofters since the dawn of time", I don't think anyone is kidding themselves into thinking that and I don't believe there's any products on the horizon that accomplishes such a feat. But the FPG works for my needs.

Lets face it, if everyone used what was 'best' or 'practical' in airsoft most people would not be using the guns they do, most of airsoft is about the looks and if people like the look of this then so be it, I'd be using one as a CQB primary if I were to get one regardless of how practical it is because, erm, I can....

Archived