DPM is getting dumped

Maple-Leaf

I got told about this while I was out there, and none of my friends are as geeky as me so I guess it's true. It's weird though because we got issued *loads* of new desert stuff this year, and considering they're waving spending cuts around like a big, scary chopper, funny old time to be replacing the uniform again :P I already have three bloody sets, I honestly don't know where I'll put any more :S

Are i get it know they do not want to replace the 3 set over and over agan so with 1 uniform they will save money by only giveing out these. I am going to stock up on dpm know but I have heard that the dpm shirts have stop being made :( . will this go to all services so will it go to the navy and raf as there was pics of the navy wereing mulit cam.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are still keeping the Dessie patern, Desert DPM will be used along with the new MTP pattern

Woodland DPM is too dark for todays conflicts, I wore it for 5 years and its a cold war era pattern, designed for fighting in Northern Europe, Balkans etc.

Its still a good woodland pattern, but not useful these days.

I think the new MTP is great

Are i get it know they do not want to replace the 3 set over and over agan so with 1 uniform they will save money by only giveing out these. I am going to stock up on dpm know but I have heard that the dpm shirts have stop being made :( . will this go to all services so will it go to the navy and raf as there was pics of the navy wereing mulit cam.

Please sort out your spelling.

I was hardly harsh, I asked him to please sort out his spelling in accordance with the rules.

# Use good English to post and 'Spell-Check' if necessary

This is an open-access English language forum. When you post, you are effectively publishing your written work for the world to see. Use punctuation, good grammar, and the Spell Checker if you need to. Posts that are difficult to read or demonstrate an unwillingness to use the English language correctly may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. If English is not your first language or if your language skills are not great, please just do your best. We can live with imperfect English to a degree, we won't live with a lack of effort.

So called "l337-Speak" should also not be used on these boards.

My brother has severe dyslexia, and my cousin has severe dyspraxia. Both manage to communicate effectively using text. It is not a matter of disability, it is a matter of effort. If you know you have a large difficulty with spelling, there are Add-ons for Firefox and IE (not sure about other browsers) that will check your spelling as you type. If you cannot get these to work, you can always copy and paste your post into a Word document before posting it.

It is rude to expect other people to take the time to decipher your post when you won't make the effort to attempt to make it legible.

QUOTE # Use good English to post and 'Spell-Check' if necessary

This is an open-access English language forum. When you post, you are effectively publishing your written work for the world to see. Use punctuation, good grammar, and the Spell Checker if you need to. Posts that are difficult to read or demonstrate an unwillingness to use the English language correctly may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. If English is not your first language or if your language skills are not great, please just do your best. We can live with imperfect English to a degree, we won't live with a lack of effort.

So called "l337-Speak" should also not be used on these boards.

I try my best at spelling and for long writing I use word.

On topic

It has buttons not Velcro which will be a pain but it might be stealthier it looks much more better than US multi cam well I think so.

US multi cam

I try my best at spelling and for long writing I use word.

On topic

It has buttons not Velcro which will be a pain but it might be stealthier it looks much more better than US multi cam well I think so.

US multi cam

post-63474-1261327894_thumb.jpg

That actually looks really good. Looks nice then regular multicam. No shoulder velcro though.

It has buttons not Velcro which will be a pain

At the moment, it is only being produced in the same pattern as the previous update to the Army's uniform, CS95. That will probably change in the future though. I'd imagine that they'll add velco etc to the arms ala the UBACS.

My slightly educated guess would be that the set in that news article was merely a prototype, or even just knocked up to show to the media. They'll change the overall cut of it before the final version I've no doubt, probably quite significantly, but inevitably retain 1 or 2 of the CS95 features.

not really sure how I feel about this, I cant stand multicam but like to represent my country in terms of camo... what the hell am I going to do now !!

Just keep telling yourself it's Multi-Terrain Pattern not Multicam...

Any ideas on how long this will take, after it's been officially released, to get into the surplus shops, flecktarn.co.uk and similar places?

I'm sure if it's as cheap as Multicam it will likely ###### off a fair few of the geardos who've spend how ever many hundreds of pound on their proper Multicam.

DPM is not getting dumped, but that is the new pattern. It is for operational use only, DPM will still be worn for normal duties.

darkchild

Hmmm, watching the BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8422942.stm and referring to the Telegraph Article...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...e-in-China.html

...it strongly appears to me, that MTP is supposed to replace classic temperate DPM completely untill 2016. Refering to other scources it rather seems so that DDPM will be kept for some incomprehensible reason. :huh: Why keeping two arid patterns ?

It seems to me that this desicion is mostly led by the current suspected focus on possible future battlefields more being in arrid regions, putting other possible options like northern europe or subtropical regions more or less by the side. In my opinion it would make al lot of sense to issue a more specific camo for combat troops in a terrain like A-Stan, as one is fighting there since 8 years. But for all regions ? Let´s hope the MoD will not bin all DPM too early. It might probaply be needed again ;)

Refering to other scources it rather seems so that DDPM will be kept for some incomprehensible reason. :huh: Why keeping two arid patterns ?

MTP is significantly darker than a dedicated desert pattern. It would stand out quite a bit in a desert environment. They're probably keeping Desert DPM in circulation because of Iraq and the possibility of having operations in other Middle Eastern countries.

t1larg.camouflage.jpg

EDIT: The photo is from CNN, I hope it will show up for everyone.

I'm excited about this, because while it's not MC, it's close enough that i'm proud that we've finally got an awesome looking camo, DDPM is great, but i've always hated DPM.

But i've seen a text picture of 4 squaddies, two wearing MTP one with DPM and one with DDPM, you could really see just how dark DPM is, but what really got me is the fact that the guy wearing the new MTP had on a pair on black issue boots, Eegads.

Fashion Faux Pas or what.

I'll be waiting to see some pictures of our lads geared up before I decide whether I'm totally behind it or not.

What I was thinking though is if there will be any leeway about guys buying MC pouches and the like in the transition period while they are trying to get plate carriers and webbing in MTP.

With things getting hot over in Falklands I think we may need DPM as the MTP does not look like it could cope with the colour of the terrain over there. My teacher at school was over in the Falklands and he said we walked up to someone with dpm on and he did not see him in till he was 2 yards out.

Matt

Things getting hot in the falklands? ORLY son, where is that coming from?

BTW perhaps DDPM is only staying on (for now) because of the large numbers of OSPREY Vests and other equipment that have been knocked up in it. MOD are known for not "splurging the sheckles" so perhaps we will see a MPT uniforms with DDPM armour for a while...

Things getting hot in the falklands? ORLY son, where is that coming from?

From Argentina Defence and Security Report 2010

Tension with the UK over the Falkland Islands continues to mar relations between the two countries and this is likely to increase over the coming years. The British maintain the stance that negotiations will only take place over the sovereignty of the Islands according to the wish of the Islanders. The issue is being clouded by complaints by the Islanders about Argentine interference in the economy of the Falklands, threatening its limited industries. The fishing dispute has worsened in that Argentina has withdrawn from a fisheries management commission – which could mean serious damage to fish stocks. The Argentines have also banned charter planes travelling from Chile over Argentine airspace to the Falklands, and have banned hydrocarbon industry workers in Argentina from taking up similar work on the Islands.

Anyway back on topic, once MTP is fully released will the "Ally Old Sweats" be digging out their DPM smocks? ;)

Archived