MAG Waffle AK Midcaps-100rds

I'd been looking around for decent midcaps for my AK74u at a reasonable price, as well as having a somewhat unique feel. I did some research and narrowed my choices down to 3:

-KA AK midcaps

-TM AK lowcaps

-MAG AK midcaps

I had heard that KA midcaps are so horrible that they require modding right out of the box, TM lowcaps are ridiculously expensive for midcaps (in my opinion; I know, I know you get what you pay for) and I certainly didn't waht to spend $125 for 5 mags and only 350 shots, so that left me with the MAG midcaps.

I want to take a little detour here, and just say that www.airarmory.com is a great online airsoft store, especially if you live in the northeastern united states. These mags cost $50 there, about average. They're located in New Jersey, so shipping to me (in Virginia) was very quick; my mags arrived on my doorstep 3 days after I ordered them. They also had a plethora of discounts for different guns, as well as a 5% discount on any order. They also offer free shipping on orders placet at or over $80 instead of the standard $100 for most sites. Take that ASGI. However, I believe it is a relatively new store so their inventory isn't the largest in the world. They do have a number of KWA, G&G, CA and even E1 guns for sale, along with acessories and tac gear.

Back to the Mags!

So I had decided to buy the Waffle Midcaps, because of their rather uncommon appearance and decent price ($50 for 5). They also had plum and orange ak74 midcaps, curved akm mags and long 140 rnd rpk midcaps as well. Fast shipping as was mentioned before.

-FIRST IMPRESSIONS

My mags arrived in a plain brown (and rather large cardboard box, you couldv'e fit four boxes of mags in there). Upon opening, I removed the brown paper that they used instead of packing peanuts and removed the box of mags. It was mad of regular ol' brown cardboard, and I guess the Brown paper didn't quite do the trick, because the box was botced up pretty bad. They put the MAG logo on the upper left hand corner, a black dot to note what kind of mags were in the box, and other stats about the pack of mags, as well as a note to remove all the bbs after use, all in very good english

I opened the box to find that the Mags themselves were perfectly fine, despite the beaten box. They were separated by 4 thin cardboard spacers, as in many midcap box sets. One thing to note, when I first opened the box the mags were covered in sort of a brown cardboard powder, however a quick wipe cleared it off and had no negative effects on the mags' performance

-THE MAGS

Removing the mags from the box, 3/5 of them had a light rattling noise caused by the bb follower. While this was dissapointing, it also does not affect the mags' performance. The mags themselves feel very solid, and have absolutely no flex or creak at all. The main body is made out of very nice plastic, ABS I believe. and has a nice finish on it, and a texture similar to that of the TM AUG body. The spring is of course metal and the bb follower is plastic. And as a nice surprise, the bottom plate is made out of metal!

-FUNCTIONALITY

Every single one of these mags fed flawlessly straight out of the box, which was surprising to me because when I took them apart, they had next to no lube at in them. They operate like any other midcap, load with a speed loader and empty by pulling the bb follower. As stated, they hold 100 rounds, and it actually doesn't feel like they're going to break if you put in all 100 rounds. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stop at 90 or so, but I load them all the way up and they always work perfectly. They fit in mag pouches great, just like a standard ak mag. 1 per single m4 pouch, 2 for a double. I have a condor chest rig and with 1 mag in the gun, I only need 2 out of my 3 mag pouches to fit the other 4 mags. One place where ak mags seem to always loose points is how they fit in the gun, and these, unfortunately, are no exception. I have a CYMA AKS74un, and while these mags did clip in and stay in, they had enourmous amounts of wobble, especially side to side. This was quickly remedied by placing 3 layers of electical tape in the magwell near where the mag pivots in. Although, the click of the mag locking does feel a little mushy, at least it don't wobble no more.

-DISASSEMBLY

These ak mags take down in way most unfamiliar. On the surface of the mag where the bb follower is located, there is a small plastic rectangle. The small plastic rectangel turned out to be a small plastic rectangular block held in by a thin metal pin, and serves the same purpose as the turny circle thing in KA midcaps, in that it keeps the spring in. to remove it, simply push out the small pin and work the spring block out. The baseplate is held on by friction, so you just have to slide it off.

WARNING!!! Do NOT push the spring block into the mag because it is VERY DIFFICULT to get out, and you DAMAGE THE MAG in the process. So don't do it!!! or your mag will look like this:

this does not really hurt the mag, but it does make it look pretty bad

So there you have it, Mag AK Waffle midcaps. Out of 10, I'd give these mags a 9.5 mostly just because I had to break part of one of the mags to fix it(after I messed it up, not a factory defect) Definitely worth the money.

Oh, here's Air Armory's site

http://www.airarmory.com/shopping/

-Steaktipz