Sellers that use paypal READ

Speed=

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd...ocale.x=en_US#4. Receiving Money.

That is the user agreement all paypal account holders have agreed to. And according to section 4.5

"You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

That means if you accept paypal as a method of payment YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHARGE THE BUYER FOR 4% OF THE SALE OR ANYTHING TO COVER YOUR OWN PAYPAL ACCOUNT EXPENSES!

And what happens to those who don't comply?

'If you violate the Acceptable Use Policy then we may hold your funds up to 180 Days, fine you up to $2,500.00 USD for each such violation and take legal action against you to recover additional losses we incur. You acknowledge and agree that a fine up to $2,500.00 USD is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's damages, considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated and the anticipation that proof of actual damages may be impractical or extremely difficult. PayPal may deduct such fines directly from any existing Balance in the offending Account, or any other PayPal Account you control.'

So if you currently have an open for sale thread and state publicly or privately you better edit your posts or face consequeces, because that is illegal to your contract with PayPal.

Mods, I hope you see the importance of this and help in enforcing it to keep the Arnies classifieds open and healthy. Thank you.

I don't really get the problem...

If someone wishes to enter into a voluntary transaction with a seller, and agree to cover the cost of transfer, then I can't really see any problem.

So I'll have to use international bank transfer in the future, which will be bad for the seller since there is no protection (or very limited protection, at best), and the seller will still have to cover the transfer cost.

PayPal offer some kind (but VERY limited) protection for the buyer, and that is what you pay for. The seller should not be forced to pay for the buyers protection.

I've utilized the same approach myself a couple of times, and I don't have a problem with it, and I certainly will not report any of the people I've had business with to PayPal.

I don't really think highlighting this information will change anything. It will rather be business as usual. And I'll just be forced to say "Oh, you want to pay using PayPal... then I'll have to add a handling fee of so-and-so..."

Good find (you actually READ the agreement... impressive...), but I doubt it will matter.

PayPal offer some kind (but VERY limited) protection for the buyer, and that is what you pay for. The seller should not be forced to pay for the buyers protection.

I think you are wrong. PayPal services mostly aimed at sellers. That service being an alternative method of receiving payment without having an e-POS set up or having to have a bank's e-payment API coded into a website. And that is the seller pays for when they gets their 4% deducted.

All this buyer and seller protection are additional services offered by PayPal.

IMHO.

they are referring to a different type of surcharge. it seems that theres a type of surcharge that interferes with the payment because paypal speaks of loosing money with these surcharges. the way we "surcharge" is just an addition to the total cost and thus nets paypal with a small amount more with the predetermined price(with the 4% added) + 4%.

if im wrong, than paypal is being stupid claiming that they are loosing money this way...

Archived