Remington CA870 Sawn Off

The Why

A while ago I bought a Jing Gong M4 Pistol, because it seemed like a good CQB weapon. Fresh out of the packaging, while charging the battery, I inspected it and immediately a piece of the hopup fell out. Oh boy. When charged I test-fired it in the (large and covered) backyard, which it greeted me with a gearbox jam after only 40 rounds. Needless to say, I got a lemon and I was in need of a new CQB weapon.

I was browsing taiwangun.com for a plate carrier and I spotted this baby:

3_529b41305b167440f0fd904526ef7971.jpg2_c406798962cd1216328e4f7709c208e5.jpg2_6fb6d0a81a945b85b9e530f9783df554.jpg

They are apparently made by a company called "SY" which is short for "Shun Yang". I can't disagree this wasn't an impulse buy as I couldn't find all this information on the website I bought it from. Though it looked to be interesting: for € 45 I would get a full metal shotgun which doesn't use shells (goody!) and has pretty decent looking wood-like furnishing. It was also rated 420fps with 0.20gr BB's, so a power downgrade was needed for my country.

So I clicked the "Add this to cart" button.

The What

shotgun.jpg

And today it arrived. Sadly I'm not going to include more pictures today as I'm short on time and it's a simple gun anyways.

The first though that came to mind when I picked it out of the box is: "whoa this only cost me € 45 ?!" As the previously mentioned JG M4 Pistol was twice the price and was 90% plastic with colors not matching, this was a relief. And I was actually almost convinced it was real wood, the texture and feel isn't high polish wood but it does have a "sanded down" wood feeling to it.

As I've used cheap shotguns in the past, I knew cocking it would be something you need to live with. This gun is no different, as it needs a strong arm and a fluid motion to cock it properly. As I've never had a good experience with hopups in China made guns, I assumed the worst and I got decent. So it wasn't lasering 5" targets at 20m, it's a shotgun. No sights, no rails, not even a marking where you should fire.

The How

My country's limits are 360fps and the gun rated at 400-420fps, so I'd need to lose some power. As my busted M4 Pistol has been reduced to "parts in a box", I thought why not use it's 360fps spring ? Disassembly was pretty easy: remove the stock, remove the barrel and handguard, remove the outer shell, screw it open and you're in. The first thing I noticed inside, was the proprietary components, like the spring. Bummer. So replacing it wasn't an option, then I'll be trimming it. But I kept that for later, on to the hopup.

Hmm, a strange piece of plastic was sticking on the housing near the hopup, seemed to a part of it in the past. It couldn't be much else because everything except the piston, cylinder, spring guide and some parts in the trigger mech, is all metal. I took out the hopup and barrel, consequently I was greeted with more "pieces of plastic" falling off. Okay, this wasn't a good sign. As I inspected the hopup housing,which consists of 2 parts, it was clear that nothing crucial was missing. Or nothing that couldn't be fixed with electrical tape anyway. So an hour later I managed to get the hopup in a good a shape as I could possibly make it.

The spring needed trimming, or I wouldn't be allowed to use it on skirms. I measured how much the spring compressed when sitting not-cocked in the piston. About 3cm could be cut off of the 15-16cm spring without it moving about. Anyone with info on where to get other springs or hopup parts would be helpful, by the way ! I have no way of testing the fps now, I'll take it to the skirm where they will chrono it.

And how is it now ?

Better, a lot better. After adjusting the hopup it shoots straight almost all the time. I don't expect more from a € 45 gun and it was actually a lot better than I had suspected. This is going to be a hell of a lot of fun to run around with.

Edited by Phuncz

I'm still doubting about the mags. The standard SY metal mags are cool because it gives a more unique look, but the G&P small mags give it the original look.

Argh, probably going to get a nice 1887 sooner or later...

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the cocking, it should be a little more easier. It's not the spring, apparently, because when it's cocked, it is still difficult to cock it again.

I'm still doubting about the mags. The standard SY metal mags are cool because it gives a more unique look, but the G&P small mags give it the original look.

Argh, probably going to get a nice 1887 sooner or later...

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the cocking, it should be a little more easier. It's not the spring, apparently, because when it's cocked, it is still difficult to cock it again.

Clean it, then grease it. If that dosent work then its likley mis-moulded and you might want to have a look at sanding down inside where parts are rubbing. be sure to get the right areas, you dont want to damage it

Today I got around to clean and lube it, it works better now ! It's still somewhat scraping but it doesn't seem to be an issue inside of the gun, I'm suspecting the handguard. But it's a lot better now. I also noticed I can load multiple BB's and they spray out, although at a much lower FPS. But this gun is pretty damn accurate after I just DIY-fixed the hopup.

OP, could you do me a favor and disassemble the gun to the hopup and see how it's installed? I lost the spring on mine, but still have the nub - yet I have no idea how it's installed.

Also, if you could operate your gun w/o the faux bolt cover, I want to see how far the loading nozzle goes back - I have a feeling I forgot to reinstall a spring when I fixed my Maruzen 870.

Disassembling it won't happen soon as my spare time is limited and it is in perfect working condition. What I can tell you is that I also didn't install a very tiny spring which I still don't know what it's for. Basically, there is a screw that pushes on the nub, the thread is located on both sides of the shell. It's a very simple design though.

The other thing also has to wait because, again, my spare time is limited.

I want to add very simple sights to this gun, without adding bulk like a RIS/RAS adapter. Something like the sights that handguns also have. But since there is no point to attach them, I'm pretty much screwed. Is there anything I could attach to the barrel on the front ? In the back I can always fancy something in between the handle and frame I guess. This gun is just so accurate, it is a shame to not use it's potential through sights...

Thought I'd let you know, if you didn't already. The Clone CA870 did some things different than the Maruzen versions (much to my dismay, as I bought one to rehabilitate my recently sold custom CA870). Their pump/cocking arms are a slightly different design, screwed into the handguard/pump and a G&P kit will NOT work without changing the cocking arms (believe me, I learned the painful way), and their mechbox shell design is different and it WILL NOT take stocks designed for the Maruzen CA870 and I doubt you'd be able to mod RS stocks to fit it like you can with the maruzen.

Only other observations I made is that the internal plastics used are a much rougher, crappier finished but MUCH stronger than the Maruzen piston which is prone to failure, rendering the guns useless and paperweights. The hop-up nubs and rubbers suck in the clones, compared to the maruzen. External finishing is decent in my case and the paint is a bit flakey and the metal casting kinda rough.

That is all :P

Edited by Vercingetorix