Steam - Guest passes

Stealthbomber

i realise the obvious reasons for class limits. it's just a shame to be stuck with a kar98 when i could be rocking a stg44, which is inevitable on a well populated server.

well like the idea of a cover system or not, its being implemented in the next game (i was stating a fact there, not suggesting an improvement i would like to see).

as for the controls i feel it takes too long to bring up the irons, plus movement is rather slow to start. the overall feel isnt nearly as fluid as other games (like tripwire's other game, killing floor. irons were very well implemented there, very fast and smooth)

dont get me wrong i really like RO and have no regrets buying it. but overall it does lack polish. it still feels a lot like a mod to me, well it is essentially a retail version of the UT2K4 mod, largely unchanged IIRC (unlike killing floor which underwent an overhaul in unreal 2.5).

this is the main reason i'm anticipating RO2 so much. i know how much fun RO can be, and the potential it has. RO2 will have more time spent on it and should end up feeling much smoother (like killing floor) and benefit from a newer graphics engine.

@aznriptide: i assume the movement speed and build up is meant to simulate a heavily laden soldier, but it is a bit odd at first. and as for the ppsh41 being innacurate, well what did you expect? :P its an ideal weapon for trenches or other close combat situations. try to snipe with it and you will fail.

Want want want a pass to RO :P

I've always loved a good FPS, but games like MW2 never appealed to me in the end for MP. Mostly how they're too fast paced and extremely unbalanced :unsure:

How slow are we talking with bringing up irons? And is it toggled? That always gets me in DOD:S because irons are really slow to bring up and add the fact that they aren't toggled makes the Kar98k a hip gun for me :(

TBH, i havn't really gotten into game services like steam, gamespy comrade or Xfire. but i have accounts for each of the services. i had no clule that you can give people your digital copies of games (at least on steam anyway) or that they even had guest pass promos.

well, i guess i should get more into steam, but i dont actually buy PC games often anyway and i like my physical copies.

but hell, eventually gaming will go the way of 100% digital. might as well start early.

If people are finding RO slow and still want a WWII game there're plenty of faster paced ones out there: DOD, DOD:S, COD, COD:2, BF:1942...

Most people seem to forget about the original CODs because MW has taken such a big place in the market, but they are still good games, much better infact than COD:4 or COD:4:2

:D Acronyms...

Fair enough on the cover system, didn't realise they're actually implementing it. If it works no problem, but I generally like freedom in games, not being told what's cover and what isn't.

Yes, the acceleration of the soldier simulates the fact that in real life he would be laden down with a lot of stuff and would take a second or two to get up to full running speed.

I do agree that there's a little too much recoil of some of the SMGs, the PPSh included. Accuracy itself I thought was pretty near perfect.

There's another feature I really like - the variable weapon sway. It makes aiming at anything other than close range a challenge, and the sway increases the more you sprint. There's also a brilliant system whereby you can rest your gun on any surface for less sway.

It just felt so good to have a proper accuracy system after playing the Project Reality mod for BF2. It's a great mod, but infantry small arms are a bit gimped in it, I'm telling you - If you don't like the sighting-in in RO, you'll despise it in PR! :P Looking down an ACOG or other magnified optics takes ages and the gun accuracy is a joke. Firing whilst moving is a waste of time, and to get full accuracy you have to wait 5 seconds whilst not moving at all. Then wait 2.5 secs between shots to maintain your accuracy.

In real life, the real problem in shooting a gun at range is not the actual spread of the bullets but the fact that you can't hold the gun perfectly still. The sway and resting on objects system works perfectly.

[/RO fanboyism]

Stu.

PS - can I have HL2 off someone please? Really want to have a go at that.

If people are finding RO slow and still want a WWII game there're plenty of faster paced ones out there: DOD, DOD:S, COD, COD:2, BF:1942...

Most people seem to forget about the original CODs because MW has taken such a big place in the market, but they are still good games, much better infact than COD:4 or COD:4:2

:D Acronyms...

I still play COD2 every now and then, and I LOVE DOD:S.

I always preferred DOD to RO for the reasons mentioned above + deploying bipod, etc. I feel the wide open map design of some of the RO maps may be more realistic but where terrain is pretty basic to say the least due to the engine limitations it just doesn't convey a truly realistic experience.

I'm all for a simulation feel (I'm currently learning to fly properly in iL2) and do play RO occasionally when others are on, but as far as a FPS goes it just hasn't quite got the feel right. If there's a sequel hopefully a newer engine can do for it what BF2 did for the BF series - and make maps more infantry friendly.

i feel the same. RO can be great fun, but its hit and miss and lacks refinement in several areas.

i think it kinda tried too hard while using tech that wasnt quite up to the job.

as i said, this is why im looking forward to RO2 later this year. it should tap into the true potential of RO while updating the graphics and adding new features.

Archived