Parrot UAV

Agent47

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks interesting but way out of my price range at the moment, though I would love to see it in action. As for being able to shoot at it, go for it. Whilst you are concentrating on the skys you're not looking for actual people who could shoot you. Plus in the UK I don't think the average power limits would allow for major damage to happen, nor are many of our guns accurate enough to shoot at a sky target. But of course I've never had the chance to try and would love to.

Whilst you are concentrating on the skys you're not looking for actual people who could shoot you.

Again, teamwork.

Plus in the UK I don't think the average power limits would allow for major damage to happen,

It doesn't have that much range so chances are it will be in hitting distance and it looks fairly flimsy.

nor are many of our guns accurate enough to shoot at a sky target. But of course I've never had the chance to try and would love to.

Tried and tested method of hosing the skies. Worked in WW2, will work now.

I don't think Arduino based setups (what the DIY drones community specializes in) would work for Airsoft, it's more of an aerial photography setup. You can't reprogram Ardu pilot on the fly especially while it's under way, which makes it kind of useless for airsoft. Really your only options are Otto pilot, Pico pilot, and paparazzi, but again those are for fully autonomous aircraft, all you really need to do is put a camera and a transmitter on board an RC aircraft.

+1 with USMCorps.

I see loads of applications. Where I play, my team typically plays milsim style: we've got comms, lowcaps and we ACTUALLY try to follow SOP in moving, firing, etc.

The other team just sprays wildly with hi-caps and camps behind bushes/walls for hours, waiting for you to passby to take a potshot from 2m with their hi-cap fed-450fps-innacurate-blaster. It's really a PITA when you're constantly the team that is playing dynamic and actually taking the risks in progressing, etc. while the other A-holes are just waiting... wow what a great example of their technical ability and combat superiority (which makes me totally understand the frustration of fellow soldiers battling it out in Astan/Iraq... but that's another subject). P.S.: don't see me as a sour loser. My team still kicks their *albatross* 2/3 of the time. It's just not very interesting games.

Anyways, if this little piece of hardware can enable me to moniter the battlefield, it could seriously turn the tables. I could spot all the little MOFOs camping and tell my team about it and direct effective force application. Battlefield awareness rules! Everyone is talking about how it would be useless because you have to lug it around, set it up, fly it, land it back and then react. Guys, no. That's not how you do it. With this little UAV, I would get off the battlefield entirely. I'd stay in safezone behind a swivel chair with my Comtac II and play drone operator, flying the thing full-time and feeding back instant intelligence to the boots on the ground!

Limitations? Money, range, flight-time, being shot down. Not it's inherent tactical application to airsoft.

P.P.S.: if the thing can fly high enough, and if its audible signature is weak, being a small object, it could be flown around relatively stealthily in such a way that the Opfor can't really spot it (they would have to squint at the sky continuously) and even if they did, altitude and speed would make it a little bit difficult to shoot down.

50m range, so once your team has advanced 50m its suddenly becomes pointless as you can't control it, and 50m is not a long way. Not even in an airsoft game.

:huh: What?

Why wouldnt you be advancing aswell? Surely you'd be using this for a quick scan, then bringing it back to yourself, packing it up, and moving on.

Did you read the post before his, the guy was talking about being an information controller, sitting in the safe zone calling stuff out.....

50m and 8mins is ###### for what we need outside of "over the hill" surveillance. If you want to sit in the back and call stuff out this is not it.

This actually would be useful if you were sitting inside an area you had to defend, not exactly a safe zone though but you could use the drone as a second sentry.

One game had us PMCs guarding a captured CIA operative and US SF (made of two actual airsoft team-mates/friends with experience) coming to grab him. We got smashed up pretty badly because the SF team got the drop on our scouts/skirmishers and they couldn't tell us where the SF team was. I spotted movement in the forest nearby and I tried calling them out but I could never get an exact fix on the SF team's position, and the sentries (who seemed to be pretty inexperienced) didn't want to go investigate because they could not confirm who was out there and we were short on manpower. In the end the SF team advanced on us from all sides but using only a single ring of attackers. Had a drone (or particularly daring scout player) been able to mark the opponent's position and harass them they we could have delayed their attack while waiting for General Cortez to pick us up. (game over PMC win)

Its worth is still to be determined by the videofeed quality, I mean if its so bad you can't make out a guy in camo behind a wall, then it has no real worth at all, if it takes 5 mins of staring at the images to work out if its a guy or a amorphous blob that might be a guy.

640x480 15fps if you look at the specs on the website..

seriously, am i the only person who would be concerned about my £400 iphone getting shot to *suitcase*?

this is a stupid idea for airsoft. the tactical advantage would be pretty minimal IMO and there will no doubt be tears when people start finding 6mm holes in their expensive phone's screen.

Archived