1. 1. How do YOU play airsoft?

• Assault
    • Support Gunner
    • Scout/Skirmisher
    • Sniper
    • Commander
    • Other (please explain)

How do YOU play airsoft?

I designed this poll to allow newbies (or anyone whose field time is starting to decrease exponentially like me :( ) to help pick out what they want to do.

Please vote and explain why you like playing this role in a game and how you arrived at that decision. This should not be a place to discuss the merits of one role over another.

If there is a certain twist to your playing style, such as you're a scout but work in large groups or you're a support gunner but like to be a skirmisher as well, please post that as well.

For all intents and purposes:

Assaulter - usually someone carrying an assault rifle and can work as a team - does not include someone carrying a rifle with a drum mag

Support Gunner - someone carrying a machine gun or a drum-magged assault rifle, may work as a team but may also set up alone in an ambush

Scout/Skirmisher - someone carrying a small weapon/SMG, is usually good at tracking* an opponent, harassing opponents, and moving efficiently through terrain

Sniper - someone carrying a sniper rifle, also good at tracking* opponents, usually patient, prefers to eliminate high value targets such as squad leaders, gunners, and other snipers

Commander - someone leading a squad or the entire team

*-you are able to follow opponents without being detected

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed one option:

-From a chair in my parents basement.

It would work better in US based forum (because I know they have basements and that odd custom of having their computer down there), but I'm sure most of the euro folks will get the joke just fine.

OFF: How common are basements in England?

Not that common to be honest. More of a study / bed room on the top floor for us UK guys.

Anyway you forgot: Grenadier, Rifleman, Marksman and Recon.

I am a Recon / Assassin player. I go for the sneaking up to the enemy lines and returning to my own side with information before contact but when in contact i worm my way into the enemy lines and take out support gunners / snipers / senior players to sow confusion in the enemy lines.

'FireKnife'

Cant say anything about england, but they are fairly common here in Norway!

But yeah. You missed one. Medic. I play medic. Its a role that is kinda pushed onto me, but i kinda like it too. You are the only person in the team that keeps them all alive. But if i have to choose from the above i would choose Assault.

I almost always start off assaulting, but I also usually end up being the last guy alive I end up becoming just deep line scout on a long flanking mission by myself. Not bad on small fields but gets annoying on the 5+ acre fields :S

I play a mix of Assault, Scout and Commander, though I tend towards Assaulting most of the time - I do my best work individually as an Assaulter, getting close-in and nasty, but I can be stealthy and quiet if I need to be.

My role tends to be 'Action Movie Hero' - By which i mean i tend to leg it at the enemy, shouting very loudly and firing BB's in every direction but theirs... Lots of duel wielding/diving rolls etc.

Sometimes, if i feel like playing seriously, i tend to just sneak around and take out opportunity targets... Setting up 1 man ambushes and the like.

Scout / Assault for me too. I'm very agile (gymnast/dancer) so I like to take advantage of it and move quickly through rough terrain. I have a light loadout so I am unencumbered. If there is an objective to be had (flag, bomb, etc) you can bet I will be getting it. I'm pretty good at getting behind enemy lines, digging in and harrassing. I sometimes play an assault role, usually advancing quickly while under cover fire.

sniper.

theres nothing more satisfying than hunting someone who is unaware, or lying in an OP, passing on info, then getting the perfect shot. (a rarity for me!)

some days, i will play for a whole day without firing a shot.

love it.

I tend to play as Recon/Assault/Support.

Most of the time I'll be using a short weapon with a light loadout so it's easier for me to get into those places the enemy doesn't expect and I'll often play alone flanking around the enemy then radioing the rest of the team with info.

When I fancy a change I'll just use any old AR and join in with the grunts storming buildings and bunkers or I'll use my M249 and be mobile cover but I tend not to play the support role much as there doesn't seem to be many players who know how to play along side a support gunner.

Assault usually. Depends on the company to be honest.

When I'm playing with buddies I trust to shoot like hell, we usually function as the edge of an assault force; rapid, aggressive and loud. When there's a lot of kids, we also take a kind of commanders' role, yelling everyone what to do. You know, because they would otherwise sit around with their thumbs up their *albatross* and that's not fun in an objective based long game.

When it's just me and a friend or two, we act as a flanking force, swift and light. I won't call it a scout style though, pure scout stuff in airsoft is pretty impossible but I understand the idea the OP had.

Medic mode kicks in when someone actually does get hurt. I always carry a small pack of first aid stuff with me and regularily have to patch someone up. :P

Edit: Oopsie, curse word got through.

You should have both Sniper and Marksman.

Most people who claim to be a 'Sniper' are not at all and are just Marksman, a true sniper is never seen and picks targets of importance rather than just sending shots in his enemies general direction.

'FireKnife'

Scout / Assault for me too. I'm very agile (gymnast/dancer) so I like to take advantage of it and move quickly through rough terrain. I have a light loadout so I am unencumbered. If there is an objective to be had (flag, bomb, etc) you can bet I will be getting it. I'm pretty good at getting behind enemy lines, digging in and harrassing. I sometimes play an assault role, usually advancing quickly while under cover fire.

Yes playing the scout/fast assault/stealth role is very useful if one is tiny and/or agile. For head to head games I let my team mates lay down the fire while I go right for the objective. Being able to slip, slide, and roll one's way to the objective (aka not being afraid of getting dirty) helps a lot towards being successful in such a role.

Try it with a pistol and 5 mags, total of 110 rounds and with sod all range but the level of manouverability is so impressive compared to even a MP5 or P90.

True Recon style.

'FireKnife'

I've played most of the games in the last 6 months with a ksc mp7 & 3 x 40rnd mags. 300fps, semi auto only.

It's my way of giving the hosers a chance. ;)

Despite playing quite a few 350fps, hicap sites & regularly at the mall, I've never felt out gunned.

It does get a bit frustrating when you have to use 2 - 7 bb's on the same target because they just seem to ignore the first one.

I have a kind of escalation process: I start with a single into the torso, then a double-tap & when that fails a double tap to the chest followed by 2 in the face. It shouldn't have to be like that. A terrible waste of ammo, but they bring it on them selves. :(

Greg.

Try it with a pistol and 5 mags, total of 110 rounds and with sod all range but the level of manouverability is so impressive compared to even a MP5 or P90.

True Recon style.

'FireKnife'

Been there done that.

Try it with either a rubber knife and 24 rounds in a pistol, or heck, try it like I did. Rubber knife and empty pistol, charging up to just 3m away from the enemy and popping up from behind cover, pulling the trigger on an empty gun to draw the attention of the enemy :D

I try more a case of:

If i have snuck up on them and are close enough to pick hits it is a double tap to the chest, if no reply or not taken then a further double tap to the chest. The third and last step is a 2+1 and i have only had to employ that once to one person, they were not happy but the big irony was that after not taking the first 2 double taps due to thinking that there was no one there to see it he now had no-one to argue with that it was uneccesary.

Even when i was only a grand total of 7 metres away from him.

Also i mean outside, not inside. Especially with the trenches at the Hill it is bloody easy to catch people out.

'FireKnife'

Once shot someone point blank in the stomach. Emptied at least half the mag into his tummy(he was standing right over me). He didn't take the hits :)

If I sneak up close enough, I don't bother shooting.

*Grab weapon or tap them*

*whisper "Bang, you're dead"

Or, as I did once, a guy walked in to find his face at the end of my plastic katana. He surrendered. :D

Rubber knife and empty pistol, charging up to just 3m away from the enemy and popping up from behind cover, pulling the trigger on an empty gun to draw the attention of the enemy :D

Agreed, knifing is a niche part of softing but very rewarding.

My only gripe, is when, despite knife rules being clearly explained during the briefing, you get a customer who just doesn't understand or except the situation. This can lead to a lengthy discussion or the involvement of a marshal. Completely ruining the whole 'quick-n-stealthy' point of it. These are usually the same people that don't take their hits & really need to leave airsoft.

I guess this form of cheating is amplified by proximity; failing to take hits at 20m+ is disappointing, but you can sort of give them the benefit of the doubt (didn't feel it, thought it was a ricochet etc.). But it's a bit different when you put your hand on someones shoulder (from behind), whisper that this is a knife kill (holding a rubber knife 1 foot in front of their face), only to have them turn around & hose you or start a debate as to weather or not 'it counts'. <_<

Never mind. PB still holds at 10 on the trot. Again, congrats to every member of that 10 streak, who played along, remaining silent & watching the same fate happen to their team mates. :) Gold stars all round.

Greg.

Hit a guy rounding a corner twice in the nuts, perfect double tap, one nad each shot.

But anyway i find that when doing Recon, you really have to be patient and have the guts to hold back from an easy hit.

It is great to give hints and help to a team and get them to own the guys on the other side.

Have once or twice been 'Ammo Mule', requires a vest and one hi-cap for everyones gun, when they are out or need a hi-cap you can supply them and have the knowledge you helped not by getting a single hit but still won the day.

'FireKnife'

Hit a guy rounding a corner twice in the nuts, perfect double tap, one nad each shot.

Punky will be proud of that one. :D

Had a good 'ouch-kill' at the mall yesterday: a chap put his pistol round the corner at about 15m, so I shot his finger, 'ouch, hit!'. When I reminded him there was no blind fire, he claimed he had only done it to 'see if anyone was there' & was not going to fire. <_< I speculated that it might be easier to use ones eyes to, ahem, 'see', with. :unsure:

Greg.

Archived