268 members have voted

1. 1. How do YOU play airsoft?

• Assault
    • Support Gunner
    • Scout/Skirmisher
    • Sniper
    • Commander
    • Other (please explain)

I play however the situation demands. I'll be one of the ones at the front to take a building but i'll also be one who can sit back and hold a corner for hours at a time if that is needed. I also find myself taking charge when there is no one else around who is competent. I'm also a sneaky git and more than happy to use the rest of my team as a distraction whilst I sneak round the sides and do more damage from the rear.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best to try a bit of 'Pyro Nutter' or Demolition as they are called in a PC world (not the shop).

Just take a small pistol, couple of mags, some webbing and as much pyro and claymores you can stick in the webbing.

Run up to an objective / around the edge of your base and set up the claymores and get a pyro grenade in one hand and the small pistol in the other and get ready.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

myself and my buddy usually work in a pair - maximum of four if our other mates turn up.

we prefer a mix and match style of play - adapt to how the game is running.

generally my oppo and me carry some tastey assault rifles (M4 for me, SIG or AK for him)

we will scout and track, ambush, assault, create a diversion or just hold up the enemy approach by getting dug into some cover.

no two games are the same - even if we play the same scernario at the same sight.

we are happiest when we can sneak into the heart of the enemy and just create chaos, we will undoubtedly get shot to shreads sooner or later, the thrill is seeing how much confusion and chaos can be created beforehand.

example: Groundzero weekender 08 - we (5 on this occasion) snuck up on the enemy strong hold, took out their guards and defeated the guys in the base...... all in the first 20 minutes of the weekend. that was fun, but the real fun was waiting for the other enemy players to return and then rinsing them when they thought they were safe! eventually it all sunk in and turned into 5 against the whole of the orange team. we got our butts kicked, but it just goes to show that 5 suitably motivated guys can hold up AN ENTIRE TEAM!

that is how we like to play - not everybodys cup of tea i know.

Other - Intelligently.

I don't have a sniper, and I use mids, so I guess support gunner or sniper is really out of the question, but assaulter conjures up ideas of running around playing extremely aggressively at all times

I'll play aggressively when I need to, sneakily when I need to.

Ideally, I'll sneak around, move in close, then get aggressive when aggression is useful... i.e, when you've snuck up right behind them, they don't know you're there ( or even if they do, exactly WHERE) and just keep on pressing forward.

Mostly assault if im running a AEG little bit of sneaky flanking but im not one to let a one of the oppostion walk past so return to assault again!

If im running my GBB SCAR then despite it being a CQC length have to hang back a little bit let the guys with the AEGs put down the fire and pick my shots unless things get a bit rough or some extra push is needed.

Im hoping to have all the parts for my daytonagun m249 ready for ideally the first game in march so will adopt the support gunner role for the team as we run GBBR as often as we can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Please", "Most grateful to you, sir" and "Thankeehoops"

Unless you are in command of a Gay Parade then no. :D

I must admit i (being honest here) do fit well as a unit or group leader. I just don't get the players that claim to have been playing for months / years and still flinch at the idea of attacking the enemy.

I did one time play Commissar for my side, anyone disobeyed they got taken out of the game. The difference is that i did it in such a way that they thought it an enemies shot and thus called it out anyway. Oddly enough the seasoned players agreed it was a very good idea, stopped them getting called out by the little idiot players.

'FireKnife'

I certainly MUCH prefer to be a lone wolf. I resist joining teams like a cat resists baths.

Brit-Tac today, I dont know or care how many kills I got, but I got some utterly priceless reactions from folks when I pop out behind them...again ;) I just loooove being sneaky ;)

I think, and this is just from my personal experience, that there are really only 3 practical ways to play airsoft if your objective is to win.

1. DMR: you get a M14 or something similar, high FPS, high RoF, high consistency and a well tunned hopup. 20-50 meter optimal engagement range. Stay toward the back of your team and shoot at targets of opportunity as they inevitably appear.

2. Infiltrator: get a 10.5 inch M4 or something similar G36C and the like. Attach silencer sneak to flank and engage at 20 meters or less where you can be sure that your first burst will hit. After your first burst, the enemy will know you're there and you may be disadvantaged as there will probably be more of them than of you.

3. Support AKA Distraction man: SAW + muzzle amplifier get your gun to shoot as loud and to sound as intimidating as possible. Spray in the general direction of the enemy, lob the BBs if you have to. This helps your infiltrators move forward.

The majority of airsoft players that I've met fall into a 4th category:

Cannon fodder: Stock or improperly upgraded M4 (usually way overpowered FPS wise), too much gear, moves rather loudly forward and shoots at anything that moves, in range or otherwise. These people aren't noobs, this is just the natural, and easiest way to play, so it is also the most common.

Grenadier isn't just pyro grenades.

You also have moscarts and the spring operated ones like Claymores, more of Demolitions / Grenadier.

And Recon isn't, a Recon is to not engage the enemy but to relay information to the bulk of the fighting force to allow them to co-ordinate attacks.

You have more than 3 types, but not more than about 6-7 player types. Especially as you do have correct Snipers too, not just DM's and people that claim they are 'Snipers' too.

'FireKnife'

My small group has been really getting into airsoft LARP lately so my roles have been on the bizarro side, anywhere from a crack addict needing a fix so bad I decide to rob the local mom and pop store at gunpoint, to a has-been rock star wanting to have his last 5 minutes of fame by taking some VIP as hostage. For normal games, I'm usually on assault room clearing with pistols.

Archived