High temperature paint

Stealthbomber

One of those random spur-of-the-moment questions....

Anybody know if Hammerite is suitable for use in high temperature applications?

Conversely, does anybody know if proper high-temperature paints have good protective properties and are good for controlling rust?

Thing is, I like using Hammerite whereaver possible on the oily bits of cars because it's very "tacky" and, as a result, it works as a great defence against stone-chips, which go on to cause rust, because it never flakes.

The exhaust and turbo heat shields on my Porka are looking rather sorry for themselves. The original paint is coming away from the metal and I want to get them sandblasted and repainted with something that is durable as well as being able to handle the temperature.

Oh, and for the sake of vanity I was gonna paint them red, if possible, rather than black or silver.

Suggestions?

i only know (vaguely) of the stuff you can get to paint fires for your lounge etc.

its pretty easy to get hold of (even though i dont know what its called or where from :P) but ive only seen it in black, giving a matte finish.

sorry for the ###### reply, i shall ask my dad about it tomorrow, as he has just done the fireplaces at their home with the stuff.

If the bits you want to paint will fit in your oven you could use this: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...p;pcode=NIM1706

If not I think Halfords sell exhaust paint which doesn't need to be cured so much...

Edit: Found it: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165495

Should do the job and they also do it in metallic.

Stove paint is usually brush on enamel based stuuf and chips like a beehatch, or matt black spray stuff, also not very hardwearing.

The enamel stuff is apparently spot-on for doing brake calipers and the like if you wanted them to match your bodywork.

The enamel stuff is apparently spot-on for doing brake calipers and the like if you wanted them to match your bodywork.

Ah, yes.

That's the stuff that'd be ideal. I need to look for a high temperature enamel paint.

Reminds me, actually. I do have a bottle of nice yellow caliper paint for re-doing my Brembo brakes. I should really do them while the car's off the road having the heat shields sorted out.

obviously, preventing rust is quite a big deal for me, as you well know stealth ;) i find hammerite to be too brittle once dry to properly prevent against stonechips. ideally, you'd want something with a bit of 'give' in it to absorb the energy of a flying stone, if you see what i mean. ive seen a lot of restored triumphs that are body coloured underneath, but painted with this ever so slightly flexible paint. unfortunately i cant remember the name, sorry.

Stove paint is usually brush on enamel based stuuf and chips like a beehatch, or matt black spray stuff, also not very hardwearing.

yar, just been told this by me dad! good for stoves, and thats it. as long as you dont drive them down the motorway...

sorry bud :)

corect ! think it comes in colours, black for definite. dont get it on your skin or hair though. you will have a rustproof bonce for the next year.

;)

I've used black and grey but I do think they do other colours now

and yep its a b17ch to get off your skin and hair :rolleyes:

Archived